Junior Students and training

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
HI just a thought but how many schools have a junior black belt rank. Is this the same as a senior 1st Dan.

What sort of stuff is taught to the juniors techniques principles etc.

Is there a great difference between schools.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The techniques and forms are different for jr. black vs. adult. I wrote a pretty indepth look at each somewhere in the general section of MT. I'll see if I can find it or if someone else can faster please post the link.:asian:

W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by kenposikh
HI just a thought but how many schools have a junior black belt rank. Is this the same as a senior 1st Dan.

What sort of stuff is taught to the juniors techniques principles etc.

Is there a great difference between schools.

18 is our minimum age to be promoted to Blackbelt, although if the entire review board agrees a student can be promoted at 16. This has not yet happened. We only have a few students under the age of 18, and most of them will be 18 before they will be ready to test for Blackbelt anyway.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my "home" school, the kids learn the same things as the adults only at a slower rate- they are given stripes when they get half of the material for a belt rank- there are no stripes given in the adult classes. They can get a Jr. Black belt, but must wait until they are 16 or older to try for a regular black belt.

In another school I was associated with recently, they had an adult system and a kids' system. The kids progressed up to Jr. Black Belt, but for each test, they only had to know the material for that test, nothing was asked (technique-wise) from the previous ranks. Once they reached Jr. Black Belt, they received a black belt with a white stripe running thru it. They then started over at yellow and went thru the sytem again, each level having that rank's color running thru their black belt.........and this time, they did have to retain all the material from previous tests plus the material for their current testing rank. I don't know if there was an age limit for getting a regular black belt or not.

:asian: :karate:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for us, the student must be at least age 14 to acheive adult blackbelt. below that age is Jr. blackbelt which mainly excludes learning the knife and locks.

Latest Discussions