Jujutsu styles in the U.K

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39746

Apologies for the probably poor title but:

Anyone know a good list of Jujitsu styles in the U.K? More leaning towards the combat side of things rather than sport if there is a big division in it.

I literally know nothing of it to judge what styles are good and prolific and whats the go to organizations and such.

Apologies if its been done before.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apologies for the probably poor title but:

Anyone know a good list of Jujitsu styles in the U.K? More leaning towards the combat side of things rather than sport if there is a big division in it.

I literally know nothing of it to judge what styles are good and prolific and whats the go to organizations and such.

Apologies if its been done before.

Google young man then ask or research the different schools

Every style has as you put it a combat style it depends how and who teaching it and what that schools emphasis is on but ifyou are looking for aschoolthat is gonna make you the ultimate warrior ...... join the army bro then you can go off get trained and then go meet the bad guys lol and you'll get paid to do it !!!

Oh and have you started training yet or are you still in the thinking phase ?

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

research the different schools

this constitutes research. :p

Im at a impass as i literally dont know any styles of jujitsu, if they are good what organizations host which ones and if they are good etc. Google would work if i knew any one of these things.

As for the last bit, its waiting. How ever it is narrowed down to either TKD, Arnis or MMA. Maybe a Jujitsu or grappling style if i find one i like in range.

join the army bro then you can go off get trained and then go meet the bad guys lol and you'll get paid to do it

I could do one of these civilian boot camps i have heard so much about. :p

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Im at a impass as i literally dont know any styles of jujitsu, if they are good what organizations host which ones and if they are good etc. Google would work if i knew any one of these things.

As for the last bit, its waiting. How ever it is narrowed down to either TKD, Arnis or MMA. Maybe a Jujitsu or grappling style if i find one i like in range.

civvy boot camp lol ....It was a joke as you seem hell bent on combat things it was and is a way for you to see that and get paid lol

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dude. Just go to schools near you and stick with one you like. All this time you've spent thinking, you could have spent learning a martial art. You are actively delaying your MA progress by not doing so.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Dude. Just go to schools near you and stick with one you like. All this time you've spent thinking, you could have spent learning a martial art. You are actively delaying your MA progress by not doing so.

Its waiting, not thinking. Transport to them is a issue.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are any places within an hour walk from you? If so, and you really want to learn, the walk can be worth it. If your in shape/trying to get in shape, you can run part of it as a class warm up. If its financial issues on top of that, then i got no advice for you, but just transportation is normally pretty easily solvable

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I get the transport issues and that it may cause issues as will finances, You can ask all you want as far as styles and arts but sooner or later you are going to have to make a decision as to what you are going to study.

What you want from an art is your choice but your going to have to make one, looking at vids and asking is all well and good, Actually going and seeing how it taught and if you like is the way to go imo

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would help if you said where you were thinking of going but look on here you can put your location in and the style you are looking for. You would probably be better looking for something close to all, all the clubs on this list are fairly hard core as the title of the association indicates. Peter Consterdine's Combat Group

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rather than compiling a list of all jiu jitsu styles in the UK, why don't you look at what is local to you? If you're in the Liverpool area (as an example), I doubt you would be interested in commuting to London 2 or 3 evenings a week. I've done a lot of seminars with a variety of British jiu jitsu instructors over the last 30 years, but where they are in relationship to you makes it useless to make a recommendation. Think local, then maybe ask about the instructors you can realistically get to.
PS. TKD, Arnis, MMA and jiu jitsu are almost polar opposites in their approaches to martial arts. All can be good, but may not suit you. You need to physically try them out to see what works for you. Months of internet "research" won't answer that for you. Find what is local, try it out.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think I suggested before - walk, run, cycle.

Walking or running to class is free, you can probably get a serviceable bike off gumtree for pennies.

It's about 8 miles to one of my TKD classes - if my car was out of action I'd ride my bike. If my bike wasn't available I'd walk (I'm crap at running ;)).

The only things that stop me going are illness, injury and the wife :D

It would appear that the thing stopping you going is you...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a Brazilian jiujitsu school. Don't buy the nonsense that certain JJ schools (especially so-called Japanese JJ schools) aren't sport thus are more "authentic" than Bjj or Judo schools simply because the latter has a competitive aspect.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a Brazilian jiujitsu school. Don't buy the nonsense that certain JJ schools (especially so-called Japanese JJ schools) aren't sport thus are more "authentic" than Bjj or Judo schools simply because the latter has a competitive aspect.

It's very much going to depend on where he is, both Brazilian and Japanese JJ are fairly scarce here. authenticity isn't the problem, just finding a place to train could be.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im going to refer you to the video that you posted this morning.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Curiosity sake, what does Kempo Jujitsu mean? I have a own creation one of them near me and i have no idea what Kempo is meant to mean. In addition to that, what would any of you say the two most common types are?

As for the BJJ, given how search engines work, i have found some near me. (one of the reasons why im asking for a prefix) Im 50/50 on it, some people who teach it/do it think its the end all and be all Kind of put me off it slightly. In addition i prefer standing and it looks like it can be quite focused on ground work. I dont really harbour any really positive or negative views against it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Curiosity sake, what does Kempo Jujitsu mean? I have a own creation one of them near me and i have no idea what Kempo is meant to mean. In addition to that, what would any of you say the two most common types are?

As for the BJJ, given how search engines work, i have found some near me. (one of the reasons why im asking for a prefix) Im 50/50 on it, some people who teach it/do it think its the end all and be all Kind of put me off it slightly. In addition i prefer standing and it looks like it can be quite focused on ground work. I dont really harbour any really positive or negative views against it.
Kemo is a very broad term, as most of the times it just means that it comes somewhere from the kenpo/kempo lineage, and sometimes its referring to kempo as the literal word and not from that lineage at all. If you post on here or PM me the website, I could probably tell you some more. As for kempo jujitsu, it could be that it is a style that incorporates kempo and some form of grappling, that they label kempo jujitsu, that the founder learned both and made a combined style from them, or that the instructor at that particular school happens to teach both. Again, if I saw a website I could probably give a better answer.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's very much going to depend on where he is, both Brazilian and Japanese JJ are fairly scarce here. authenticity isn't the problem, just finding a place to train could be.
What about Judo? England has some excellent judoka. (The best Judo instruction I ever had was a seminar with Neil Adams.)

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

What about Judo? England has some excellent judoka. (The best Judo instruction I ever had was a seminar with Neil Adams.)

I have looked into it, its on the opt in list rather than the opt out list. :p I probably will compare it with a JJ or BJJ when i eventually switch to grappling. I have only found one prominent group near me though (that i know of) for Judo.

Judo is mainly stand up grappling isnt it? I know there are chokes and submissions for ground game but im under the impression takedowns from standing are judos thing and ground game is BJJ's thing.

Again, if I saw a website I could probably give a better answer.

I will consider it, if i do link you the website it will be via PM's though.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Judo is mainly stand up grappling isnt it? I know there are chokes and submissions for ground game but im under the impression takedowns from standing are judos thing and ground game is BJJ's thing.
It depends on the dojo. Some have a good balance of stand-up to groundwork. Others put a much heavier emphasis on standup.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is that under Hanshi Peter Browne? I did a seminar with him when he was associated with Richard Morris. Hard man, impressive technique.