Judo with all banned techniques

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see video of daily Kani Basami training. But it doesn't exist, because Judoka are smart.
Sure they do.... I searched Kani Basami and saw tons of links to Judo folks demonstrating the technique, as well as quite a few BJJ guys.

Here are some Danzan Ryu guys demonstrating it:

In Danzan Ryu, this is a blue belt technique. (white, blue, green, brown, black) We may not practice it daily.... but we practice it a lot. I have seen more injuries on o'soto gari, udhi momo harai and hani goshi.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure they do.... I searched Kani Basami and saw tons of links to Judo folks demonstrating the technique, as well as quite a few BJJ guys.

In Danzan Ryu, this is a blue belt technique. (white, blue, green, brown, black) We may not practice it daily.... but we practice it a lot. I have seen more injuries on o'soto gari, udhi momo harai and hani goshi.
Great videos, but these are demos though.

These are slow demonstrations of techniques. Like I keep saying it's normal in Kodokan and Kosen Judo dojo to train these.

But they are not sparring with resistance or aliveness. You will not see these in randori or shuai. And only in jiujitsu rulesets when they are allowed.

Kinshi waza are named this way for a very good reason. Not as in never practice, but as in avoid danger. It's likely Japanese sentiment is lost on non native speakers. I had to dig into it.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great videos, but these are demos though.

These are slow demonstrations of techniques. Like I keep saying it's normal in Kodokan and Kosen Judo dojo to train these.

But they are not sparring with resistance or aliveness. You will not see these in randori or shuai. And only in jiujitsu rulesets when they are allowed.

Kinshi waza are named this way for a very good reason. Not as in never practice, but as in avoid danger. It's likely Japanese sentiment is lost on non native speakers. I had to dig into it.
I think I've seen it used a fair number of times in Sambo competition.

I've used it in sparring before, but I don't anymore because the (relatively) safe version requires posting on your hand for support during the entry so that you have the control to not to go crashing into your sparring partner's knee. Both my wrists have bone spurs and arthritis which keep me from supporting my weight on my hands. That's also part of why I don't practice capoeira anymore.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I've seen it used a fair number of times in Sambo competition.

I've used it in sparring before, but I don't anymore because the (relatively) safe version requires posting on your hand for support during the entry so that you have the control to not to go crashing into your sparring partner's knee. Both my wrists have bone spurs and arthritis which keep me from supporting my weight on my hands. That's also part of why I don't practice capoeira anymore.
Ouch.

I first learned the term "Kinshi" right after I saw the Charles Bronson movie "Kinjite". Early 90s.

So when they showed us the "Kinshiwaza" I was all ears.

1694723558400.png

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our style we call it combat judo. Strikes to neck, a range of progressive breaks, different neck cranks, etc

Eskrido De Alcuizar
World Eskrido Federation
Buena Park, CA

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In NGA, this is a high-level technique (purple belt - white, yellow, blue, green, purple, brown, black), but we also normally do it without the posted hand (we often use that for demos, or just have uke support our weight in the transition). It doesn’t get used a lot, but I’ve also seen more injuries with our leg sweep (catching the leg at an angle, for instance).

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love the promo!
It's up there with New York Ninja as the best of the 80s Vigilante vs. Sex Traffickers movies, both of which laid the groundwork for movies like Taken, etc.

You can't get better than Optimus Prime voicing the trailer for a Cannon Group film.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I brought Benny "The Jet" U. (I can't ever spell his last name right) down to my dojo for a seminar and remember two things in particular:

1. I landed a body punch on him - it was like hitting a makiwara.

2. He was sparring one of my students, a solid bricklayer by trade, and executed a flying scissors takedown, much like the video, except he was fully airborne and took him higher up in the body.

Latest Discussions