Judo vs Jujitsu

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yea as opposed to carrying them. By the way I also think that there is about a 99.9 percent chance of actually using these dissarms effectively!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i went the opposite route, starting out in jujitsu then adding judo. it was really nice after a couple of years to have other ways to get people to the ground besides my sloppy wrestling shots.

nothing feels better than the the nice thump of a well executed throw during randori. provided your on the giving end, that is.

jf

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i went the opposite route, starting out in jujitsu then adding judo.
I went from Aikido to Judo with some C&E on the side (as well as several other Western Martial Arts).

I now believe that no one should be allowed to train in Aikido without having at least one year of Judo first.

Not that anyone listens to me, of course. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry that was supposed to be not using them effectively!!!!!
I don't have a high opinion of unarmed vs. weapon disarms. It's not that I think there's a 99.9% chance that the average practicioner will fail to use them effectively, I think there's a 99.9% chance that the disarms learned are not founded on reality (such as telegraphed thrusts from the rear, etc.).

The best I can say for almost every disarm I've ever learned (and there are a ton of them) or seen (even more) is that they're better than crying like a little girl and crapping my pants.

Unarmed against a weapon is what you do because you were caught naked in the shower. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unarmed against a weapon is what you do because you were caught naked in the shower. :)

what, you don't have a shampoo bottle you can wing at the guy?

oh, sorry, just saw your head...:roflmao:

just teasing ya

jf

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what, you don't have a shampoo bottle you can wing at the guy?

oh, sorry, just saw your head...:roflmao:
Soap-on-a-Rope. I use Slung-Shot technique but I suppose an eastern based Martial Artist could use Rope Dart or Manriki. ;)

just teasing ya
I've been getting good natured ribbing about my selection of hair style for ages. My favorite came from my late Irish imigrant Preacher, Jack. He regaled me with remembrances of military booted skin-head gangers in Ireland from his youth.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am also going bald slowly at 28 , I am sure its a sign of M Arts excellence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agreed with pants down approach to weapons defence.

Better to know something than nothing at all.

b.monki

White Belt
Reaction score
japanese jujitsu doesnt do enough randori... back in the hay day of is jujitsu better then judo or judo is better then jujitsu okazaki and kanos school battled it out and kanos school owned okazakis school but then okazaki realized it was the way they trained so he trained his students in judo and the way they trained and at the rematch okazakis school owned kanos school so to answer the question, jujitsu + judo beats judo or jujitsu alone... its best to train both side by side they compliment eachother so well... at wally jays school back in the day he trained DZR, his style of small circle jujitsu (which is dzr with some boxing, karate, and kung fu added and some other stuff cant remember) along side of judo... judo should be considered like the safe way to practice jujitsu and make a game out of it that'll boost your confidence make you stronger and get technique down pat...

Latest Discussions