Johnny Tapia found dead at 45.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen here

Albuquerque Police tell KOB that boxing legend Johnny Tapia has been found dead inside his Albuquerque home.
He was 45.
For most of his life, the five-time boxing champ kept Albuquerque spellbound with his spirited and gutsy performances in the ring.
But Tapia's story couldn't be told without mentioning his hard-luck upbringing in Albuquerque's Wells Park neighborhood and his struggles with drugs, his suicide attempts and his frequent arrests.

RIP at last, Johnny....:asian:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"My name is Johnny Lee Tapia. I was born on Friday the 13th. A Friday in February of 1967. To this day I don't know if that makes me lucky or unlucky. When I was eight I saw my mother murdered. I never knew my father. He was murdered before I was born. I was raised as a pit bull. Raised to fight to the death. Four times I was declared dead. Four times they wanted to pull life support. And many more times I came close to dying." -Mi Vida Loca: The Crazy Life of Johnny Tapia

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never saw or heard of him before, but then again I don't keep up with the world of boxing like I used to. He looked to be a very talented and blazing fast fighter. "Raised as a pit bull" indeed. Fought like one. Tenacious and fierce. Guess fame was just too much.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The guy had a tough life, very tough. Helluva fighter in his day.

RIP.

Latest Discussions