Jin Young Getting Beat at Tom Wongs school ??

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this video ? Didnt know what to make out of it.
Seems jin visited Tom Wongs Yks wing chun and did some sparring but it just seems like hes standing there and just getting jabbed in the face ...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It amazes me that after all those forms and bizarre theories in WC that these guys just end up fighting like watered-down boxers.

Why not just do boxing instead? At least you'll learn some head movement!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this video ? Didnt know what to make out of it.
Seems jin visited Tom Wongs Yks wing chun and did some sparring but it just seems like hes standing there and just getting jabbed in the face ...

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------/
Neither one of the two guys know how to fight wing chun way

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Since Jin Young has trained, and does also train, other styles I will not pass judgment on this video without further information. Was it a Wing Chun Vs. X or was it a training some other style. Is it in, or out of context as it applies to Wing Chun

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The person in all black & shorts gets hit..., a lot. Don't know what he was working on or if he was working on a specific aspect but he gets hit..., a lot.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who is Jin young?

Who is Tom Wong?

Jin Young has some fame as "chinaboxer" on youtube. He has/had a youtube channel with instructional vids on various aspects of Wing Chun. He has some training time under Hawkins Cheung but essentially misrepresented his relationship with Sifu Cheung and was called on it in the past. So some of his fame withered a bit. ;-)

Tom Wong is a teacher of Yuen Kay Shan/Sum Nun Wing Chun who is a direct student of Sum Nun. That's sort of like being a direct student of Ip Man.

Tom Wong's students were certainly doing nothing that looked like Wing Chun on this video. Jin Young wasn't doing anything other than standing there and eating jabs. Which is odd, because the one punch a Wing Chun guy should be able to stop is one that comes right down the centerline! I have sparred with a good boxer before (much better than anyone in this video). He never landed a jab. But he would nail me with an overhand right that would slip above my over-extended left arm and catch me right on the chin. Knocked me on my *** at least once!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any confirmation from anything other than the YouTube description as to the identity of the individual in the black shorts? I can't see his face clearly at all. It could be Jin Young, but it could be just about anybody. I can't tell.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@ 0:12 you see him (Jin) give the other guy a head knod, sort of "good job" or "go ahead" after a jab, and then he is deliberately putting up both gloves in a boxing type guard. Its not an "oh $h!!" reaction; it looks very deliberate versus reactionary. @ 0:54 you seem him do almost nothing in the clinch but hold the other guy at bay until they reset. Overall, it didn't look like actual sparring. At times Jin stepped in or stepped toward the opponent with only guard up, almost like he was just training the guy. It's hard to tell what they might have been working on or their agreed purpose was though.

Judging by the "shocking!" title of this video, and the silliness of referring to Jin as "grandmaster", the most obvious thing about the video is the Youtuber who uploaded likely just wants to bag on somebody.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah. What Piedmont said. I saw a couple of guys drilling ...not even really sparring. And what's wrong with taking punches in drills? A more accurate criticism would be that it doesn't look like WC. But who cares? I train stuff that isn't WC myself (Escrima). This thread is a non-starter.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeah. What Piedmont said. I saw a couple of guys drilling ...not even really sparring. And what's wrong with taking punches in drills? A more accurate criticism would be that it doesn't look like WC. But who cares? I train stuff that isn't WC myself (Escrima). This thread is a non-starter.

Just cause the description says he just rocked up to there sparring class and got sassed. But that could be some angry weird dude who knows. You can jins face when they do the break fall drills. I was curious to see if anyone had any more information. It wasn't really impressive and iv read a few people talk about that Jin like hes good. I dont see the point of any drll just standing there. According to the description it was sparring , not drills.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any confirmation from anything other than the YouTube description as to the identity of the individual in the black shorts? I can't see his face clearly at all. It could be Jin Young, but it could be just about anybody. I can't tell.

Further in there is footage of Jin showing the guys some ground-fighting. No headgear on, so it is definitely Jin Young. But Piedmont makes a good point. Jin is clearly doing the instructing in the short portion of the clip showing mat work. So it is possible he was also instructing something in the boxing exchanges. Hard to know!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have had boxers, grapplers, kickers, etc come in over the years and give clinics to the class. Is this what we're seeing here?

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Further in there is footage of Jin showing the guys some ground-fighting. No headgear on, so it is definitely Jin Young. But Piedmont makes a good point. Jin is clearly doing the instructing in the short portion of the clip showing mat work. So it is possible he was also instructing something in the boxing exchanges. Hard to know!

I have to be honest. I dont think its him showing ground fighting, I read Tom Wong's school also teaches chinese wrestling (desui kung fu it says on the site). I think someone from Tom Wong didnt like Jins attitude and posted it to make it out like hes not very good. If thats the case , well then I believe his fighting skills may not be good. I mean he barely reacts and just seems a bit overwhelmed. But Its hard to tell, thats why I posted it. I have nothing against Jin. Just if hes teaching all this stuff.. and cant handle that much pressure then what are his students going to do.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the video at 1:45...that is Jin Young.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It does seem like he's working with them to me.

I've often been on both ends of drills where I'm a moving target or working with a moving/human target. I usually have done it to help people work on distance and rhythm. Just sort of stalking around coming into range and out of range, moving to one angle when they attack or another.

It looks like he's talking the guy through some points during the chi sao section

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Plus I don't think there's any weirdness/bad blood between Jin Young and Tom Wong.

In his interview on wing chun geeks he mentions Tom Wong as an example of a really good instructor who is does not have a big fame or isn't well known

Latest Discussions