Jin Ji Du Li and Why Mr Miyagi Might Actually Suck

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A slightly tongue in cheek title, but on theme.

Some time ago we had a bit of a discussion about Thai style checks vs Jin Ji Du Li. I've been playing with it a lot more, and thinking about stances a lot in general, and the best way to explain them. There are certain contradictions in how we view and describe stances sometimes, but that is a story for another day. Jin Ji Du Li whilst originally posing the biggest problem for me trying to come up with a clear conception of what a stance is, it actually ended up being the thing that unlocked it for me. When trying to teach, having a clear idea of the pedagogy is very important.

Anyway I've taken all that thinking on Jin Ji Du Li and turned it into a video on what the hell it is, why it exists and what it can be used for from a broad brush strokes perspective. You can chuck in any applications you like, but the principles of what the stance allows your body to do is what can really open up the possibilities for finding new ways to use it.

Basically there is more to it than posing on one leg or doing the crane kick.

How do you guys make use of Jin Ji Du Li in sparring? Or day to day life?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do Wing Chun and we don't train this Shaolin rooster stance, but our system does train single leg Siu Nim Tau and some other single leg stances which present similar challenges and benefits. The primary benefit, of course, is honing your static balance as well as building strength both in the flexed supporting leg and abdominal strength through the effort used to hold up the raised leg.

That said, I do not train this stance or the single leg Siu Nim Tau and do not find it useful personally for the following reasons:

1. It mainly trains static rather than the dynamic balance that is so much more important in any fighting art. Static balance like standing on one leg for a sustained period is a very different, and far less useful skill than being able to maintain balance and recover your balance while constantly getting battered and slammed while your whole body is continually moving.

Do these guys practice standing still and holding up one foot?
2109432.jpg

2. The admittedly valuable strength training this stance provides can be effectively achieved with other exercises and drills. The primary advantages of the rooster stance is that it is kinda fun, and definitely stylish and cool looking, and may be a part of the forms of your system. On the other hand, in some contexts outside of king-fu it might look a bit silly.

3. Now the real reason I hate this drill regardless of possible value: I can't do it. I've been doing Chinese martial arts since the mid 70's and always struggled with holding a sustained single-leg stance. When I was young, my functional dynamic balance was fine. I was a competitive skier, enjoyed dirt bikes a little, ...skateboards, roller blades ...even rode a unicycle. No real balance issues.

But here's the thing, I was born with fused ankles. It runs in my family. Technically a congential bi-lateral osseous talocalcaneal coalition. In simple terms, the two bones that allow you to pivot your foot from side to side are fused together into one bone in my feet. I do not have that joint that allows you to make small lateral corrections to balance while standing still.

As with most handicaps that are not obvious and apparent, people (other than my doctors) tend to disbelieve them. I grew accustomed to coaches and instructors saying idiotic things like, "You just need to train harder!" or "Have you tried stretching?" or "If you have something that wrong with you, you shouldn't be training this sport".

So, like any animal, we learn to conceal our weaknesses, lean on our strengths and carry on. But since I'm the coach now, I choose the drills, and I'm personally taking a pass on the single leg stance training!!! ;)

BTW look at the first minute or so of the following video where the camera focuses on the small ankle movements that are essential to static balance on one leg. I find it fascinating, especially as that's exactly what my feet don't do! Could be useful if you have to take a Standard Field Sobriety Test I guess. :p

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It can be used as a "擓(Kuai) - Leg bending lift," that you use your knee to lift up your opponent's hip and throw him.

Unlike the static, "rooster stance" showm in the OP's video, this is a very dynamic drill. Master Chang lifts his leg and only pauses for a moment before continuing moving. I like this kind of drill better than static posing.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Some time ago we had a bit of a discussion about Thai style checks vs Jin Ji Du Li. I've been playing with it a lot more, and thinking about stances a lot in general, and the best way to explain them. There are certain contradictions in how we view and describe stances sometimes, but that is a story for another day. Jin Ji Du Li whilst originally posing the biggest problem for me trying to come up with a clear conception of what a stance is, it actually ended up being the thing that unlocked it for me. When trying to teach, having a clear idea of the pedagogy is very important.

Anyway I've taken all that thinking on Jin Ji Du Li and turned it into a video on what the hell it is, why it exists and what it can be used for from a broad brush strokes perspective. You can chuck in any applications you like, but the principles of what the stance allows your body to do is what can really open up the possibilities for finding new ways to use it.

Sensei Seth

Nov 21, 2021

Lyoto Machida Landed a Spectacular "Crane Kick" KO on Randy Couture about 10 years ago.. but how did he do it? Chinzo and Lyoto Machida from @MachidaAcademy helped me figure out the secrets to the Crane Kick or Mae Tobi Geri. The Karate Kid/Cobra Kai crane kick is incredibly popular but thought to be impossible! But this is a REAL TECHNIQUE!

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score

What works in this crane stance is that the arms open up to block from the inside with a groin kick. If he stood in front of me in that stance, h

e could defeat me without contact. I would die laughing.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What works in this crane stance is that the arms open up to block from the inside with a groin kick. If he stood in front of me in that stance, h

e could defeat me without contact. I would die laughing.
My text disappeared. The technique is to block from the inside with both arms to that position followed by a kick.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another great video Damien.

Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg will help you live longer and protect your balance as you age, and that's before you even get to Tiger Crane style combat.

1690935710242.png