Jeff Speakman......Kenpo Movies

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geez, I didn't know he did all of those movies :idunno: . Thanks all for the heads up! It's ashame that he had such a great hit right off of the bat and the rest tanked. Although I have never met him personally I've only heard good things about his skills and teaching abilities.
:asian:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Much worse.
Much, much worse.
Hard to believe, I have to admit there is a certain "slow down and look at the car accident" affect with Escape from Atlantis.
Todd

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Ok so if Speakman's movies are not too hot, any other movies with Kenpo action in them??
I'm not aware of anyone else making a film with Kenpo in it but I could be wrong, so if anyone out there knows of any, please post them....

Otherwise, you might want to just rent the following movies (and "fast forward" to the fight scenes):
Street Knight, The Expert, Deadly Outbreak, Hot Boyz

And, although Hot Boyz is pretty stinky, there is a nice belt promotion scene in it.

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only other examples of Kenpo in films that I know of are SGM Ed Parker's movies and Star Trek:Insurrection (Worf does a few seconds of Kenpo during his fight scene on the bridge).
That's one reason I had such high hopes for Jeff Speakman's movies.
Ah, well...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Deadly outbreak was kindof cheesy butthe action is about as good as Perfect Weapon. What's the one where they are in space and he plays some kind of evil dictator they break out of space-jail??? No Kenpo in that one either...

in short - just watch Perfect Weapon and Deadly Outbreak and let it go at that :D

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Perfect Weapon is definately the best one, I hope one day Mr. Speakman makes another movie of that caliber...

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
What's the one where they are in space and he plays some kind of evil dictator they break out of space-jail??? No Kenpo in that one either...
That's "Timelock". Another stinker, sad to say.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just checked back over the thread and noticed that no one mentioned "Memorial Day" and "Scorpio One", two of Jeff Speakman's more forgettable movies. Not good, but lacking that truly rancid quality which makes some movies memorable ("Hot Boyz", for instance).

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Ok so if Speakman's movies are not too hot, any other movies with Kenpo action in them??
There are a few others that feature Kempo, but not American. Sonny Chiba, from Kill Bill did some movies featuring Shorinji Kempo. One was titled “The Killing Machine”, in the west, a very poor title I thought. It was titled Shorinji Kempo in Japan and was the Story of Doshin So and the founding of Shorinji Kempo.

The other was one of his Street Fighter series titled “Sister Street Fighter”, it featured quite a lot of Shorinji Kempo as the story revolved around Shorinji Kempo kenshi fighting the drug syndicate. In the dubbed version the translate Shorinji Kempo as Shorinji Karate?

In Jet Li’s movie “Shaolin Temple” there were a few Shorinji Kempo kenshi in the main fight scene at the temple, one of the was Yamazaki sensei from Hombu.

Latest Discussions