PSA: Don't lead with your chin....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've attached a rather ugly shot of what happens when a sidekick runs into your chin, however, to benefit the anti-tobacco lobby I may advertise this as "what happens when you dip too much."

Six stitches later and it is closed, but my jaw really doesn't want to chew very much. No concussion and after packing my lip I won the match. I'm moving to a double mouthpiece next week.... I'm a slow learner, but not that slow.

mutters to himelf: gaurd up! gaurd up!

Lamont

Attachments

• $ugly cutl lip shrunk.JPG
    $ugly cutl lip shrunk.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 186
S

sifu Adams

No better way to learn a important lesson. I was centering at a NJ tournament and told a guy two times not to lead with the head. the third time the medic's carryed him out with a broken nose from a spinning hook kick. It wasn't a pretty sight. but I think he understood what I was trying to tell him.

V

Vadim

Ouch :xtrmshock . At least you have your teeth and you won the match. Good job.

-Vadim

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson. I'll make sure I don't lead that way. No loose teeth? Wow. Looks like it hurt real good!

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, either I was swept or I tripped coming in too aggresively, but I wound up on the floor near the out of bounds line, I was trying to get up (and stay in bounds) when my opponent planted a beautiful sidekick on my chin. I actually seem to recall having my gaurd up, but obviously it wasn't in the right place.

The kick caught me on the chin, not in the teeth, which is good because my dental insurance blows. It rolled the lip and chin into the mouth and cut my lip when the skin ran out of give, it almost drove the teeth through the lip.

It is a contact sport....

Lamont

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's just nasty I'm covering my eyes! Hope you feel better soon!:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, hopefully you'll be better by spring so you can be shipped back down to our neck of the woods. :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you were leading with your head and got tripped but then you were down on the ground when you were kicked. That isn't allowed in a TKD tournament. It sounds like a cheap shot and probably was. We wear cages now even in our tournaments. We used to wear double mouthgards but someone lost eyesight from a detached retina once from getting hit in the eye. I think its good we have rules and better protection for this reason.

Hope you don't suffer too much from that, really looks nasty. The mouth is supposed to be the fastest to heal though. TW

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've personally gone a few rounds with Mr. Glass and had my **** handed to me on a platter. most of the time, from my experience anyway, the only gear we wear are cups and hand gear to protect hands from heads, and we usually wear mat shoes. so, if that's how he was going in his class, the he probably didn't have head gear on.

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall going pretty even with you Chad, you long lanky sorts give me fits. :)

Actually this was at a tournament, and while he was barefoot, the heel really doesn't have a whole lot of padding on it. When your opponent is down, you can score on them, it is within the rules, which is why I was trying to get up when he hit me. Not a cheap shot, a perfect shot. He told me later that he was trying to hit me in the chest, but apparently I didn't get up fast enough. :) I had headgear (no facemask), but there isn't any padding on the chin.

It is a good excuse to pig out on ice cream anyway. :D

Lamont

PS: Chad, I'll be back in WV in friggin' February of all times.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I seem to recall going pretty even with you Chad, you long lanky sorts give me fits. :)

PS: Chad, I'll be back in WV in friggin' February of all times.
the reason they call me Yeti. ;) it'll be probably be a nice, muggy twenty-seven degrees when you return, hopefully the seminar will be around then. :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YOWCH! Lucky you didn't break your jaw.

I have a problem with this too. Duly noted - thanks!

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ouch! When you gonna make it back up here? Missed you at the Classic (Didn't place, next year gonna blow their socks off!)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel for you bro, I had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago (rear-thrust kick on Encounter with Danger/Dangerous Descent).

Latest Discussions