jeez, where do i start?

little_miss_fracus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
dang this site it huge

k, i just started judo about a month and half ago, only went three times and hurt my shoulder - i typed it in a discussion for noobs

anyways i've been lookin at ur site and i can't believe how much there is too know about martial arts

i been reading about instructers who peeple think r fake and something about ranks and makin up "systems" ha - do peeple actully do that?

i feel like a looser here cuz i'm just lerning from a old japanese man in my friend's garage - its nice an padded an looks like japanese i guess

am i suppossed to ask him about his - um - standing among other judo peeps? how do i do that withowt him giving me grief? i feel like it wood be disrespectful or something

and i'm reading abowt some ninja stuff too like some instructer said a student was not suppossed to teach but he is anyway?

i feel kinda stupid - i'm not really but it looks like i have a lot to learn

still trying to find out what a supermoderator is too

just kinda - not knowing where to start here

advice plz?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi! first thing is DON'T PANIC lol! You've come to the right place, the people here are knowledgable and very friendly and the one thing we all know is ....how much we don't know! There is a huge lot to learn but don't let that put you off at all. One of things you realise when you finally get your black belt is that you don't know that much and you are always learning!

There are loads of different styles each with their own customs so don't worry about what they do. Judo isn't one of my styles but there's people on here who can tell you how to go about finding out what you want to know. Personally I think your training sounds as if it will be good!

Please don't think you sound stupid you don't in the least, the stupid people are the ones who don't know something and won't ask! Read as many different forums as interest you but concentrate for your knowledge at the moment on this one, the Judo one and the women's one for the moment to get your information. Information overload is painful lol! You will be surprised how quickly you find you know stuff!

and I don't know what a Super moderator is either !

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi! first thing is DON'T PANIC lol! You've come to the right place, the people here are knowledgable and very friendly and the one thing we all know is ....how much we don't know! There is a huge lot to learn but don't let that put you off at all. One of things you realise when you finally get your black belt is that you don't know that much and you are always learning!

There are loads of different styles each with their own customs so don't worry about what they do. Judo isn't one of my styles but there's people on here who can tell you how to go about finding out what you want to know. Personally I think your training sounds as if it will be good!

Please don't think you sound stupid you don't in the least, the stupid people are the ones who don't know something and won't ask! Read as many different forums as interest you but concentrate for your knowledge at the moment on this one, the Judo one and the women's one for the moment to get your information. Information overload is painful lol! You will be surprised how quickly you find you know stuff!

and I don't know what a Super moderator is either !

Tez3 said a lot of what I was going to..Leaning is learning, traditional school or from somebody in their garage..IF you go to a traditional school the Instructors Ranks will probably be posted in his office..There are LOADS of discussions about Masters and Grandmasters that some folks think are fake, it all depends on your preception...As far as ranks, you can go on e-Bay and buy a rank...By the way, I am a Mod and I don't know what a Super Mod is either...LOL

mini_dez

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Super Mods are moderators who have moderator access across all the forums on the site and not just specific ones. They're not used on MT I'm guessing?
Oh, and welcome, you've definately come to the right place. I've not been here long either :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i feel like a looser here cuz i'm just lerning from a old japanese man in my friend's garage - its nice an padded an looks like japanese i guess

advice plz?

Hey now, I resemble that remark! ;) Some of my training is done in a garage-turned-bicycle shop. We have to clear out some bicycle's before we can put down the mats to train. Well, through the summer we've been training outside the shop. It has been nice out and it's easier than moving a dozen or so bikes.

Don't judge your training so much by the location, whether it's in a garage, basement, middle school cafetorium, old warehouse, or on the beach.

I wish you the best as you continue on your journey.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know your cars are bigger than ours but I'm guessing your garages must be pretty big! You can't swing a cat in most of ours!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey LMF, I answered you question about SuperModerators on your meet & greet thread - I think. LOL!

First, get familiar with our software and where stuff is.

Tez3 made a GREAT suggestion about starting in just the Judo and Women's forums.

You must have found your User Control Panel because I can see you picked an avatar and have a signature. That is where you'll find threads you post in if you subscribe to them (check out your options on your UserCP).

Honestly, don't worry about the rank and fraud stuff or the arguments for now - for your training, get thee to a doctor to look at that shoulder (you've mentioned it a couple times), and go and WATCH your class. Focus on learning your style first, come and chat with us in the Women's forum, the Locker Room and wherever else you feel comfortable. As time goes on and you do some lurking (reading without posting - you've been doing that already), you'll start learning some things you didn't know you didn't know.

For the forums here, take some time to read the Rules and try searching for stuff in this forum and the support forum. We have a lot of threads with a lot of info and you may find an answer already there for you.

Do post in regular English please, though. The text-speak thing is hard to read for some of us. Have you ever posted in forums before?

:D

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of the best training in the world happens in an "old garage." Don't worry about feeling stupid, we all do at some time or another. And some feel stupid all of the time.

ON going and asking him about himself, don't worry about it. If he is legit, he should not care. A simple way of digging for info is to ask him about he was trained in the of learning more about history. He will most likely tell you plenty of information. You can then do a little bit of research or you can come here and we will try to help you out.

BTW-welcome to MT!!!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Second, if you've only had 3 lessons, there's a lot things you shouldn't know yet - so don't let that throw you (judo pun, throw... sorry, it's been a long day already, and it's only lunch time). If you want to know more about your instructor and who he knows, ask him about his instructor; if he wants you to know, he'll tell you - probably back through several generations of instructors - if not, he'll let you know that too.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez3 said a lot of what I was going to..Leaning is learning, traditional school or from somebody in their garage..IF you go to a traditional school the Instructors Ranks will probably be posted in his office..There are LOADS of discussions about Masters and Grandmasters that some folks think are fake, it all depends on your preception...As far as ranks, you can go on e-Bay and buy a rank...By the way, I am a Mod and I don't know what a Super Mod is either...LOL

A moderator has authority in certain forums, or arreas of responibility if one likes.

A super-moderator has authority over the whole board. If some thing or someaction needstobetaken and the forum moderator is not online, and the action is urgent they can react then and now. Also assistant Administrators and Admins also have this power. In theory they also have other "powers" that is mostly behind the scenes for the average user.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, JUDO is a great martial art to learn. It does not matter where the classes are.

Keep going and you can always ask the other students about your Sensi when out of class.

KEEP going to classes.............Aloha

OP
L

little_miss_fracus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, okay, I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm kind of apprehensive about going back to judo. I hurt my shoulder doing a kind of somersault - a shoulder roll - and I don't really like getting hurt like that.

I want to learn something but me and three other girls got hurt just rolling or falling but the guys didn't. Sensei says i didn't roll right but I'm pretty sure i did what he told me to do.

I don't really know enough about all the options to make a good decision. Help?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a Super Mod is just a bit better than your average moderator.

I love the fact that your asking questions. They're great! I'll defer to my judo friends for the answers, however.

Remember, Mike Swain was not made in a day. Take it slow & enjoy it.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, okay, I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm kind of apprehensive about going back to judo. I hurt my shoulder doing a kind of somersault - a shoulder roll - and I don't really like getting hurt like that.

I want to learn something but me and three other girls got hurt just rolling or falling but the guys didn't. Sensei says i didn't roll right but I'm pretty sure i did what he told me to do.

From my learning, a somersault is not a shoulder roll. Confusion on this may have been why you shoulder now hurts.

It may be that this instructor is not for you. Did you ask what he meant about not rolling right? A good instructor should be able to give you more than that, in terms of corrections for your technique or alternate visualizations.

I have known plenty of people who have hurt themselves learning to roll. One younger student in our school actually broke his clavicle doing this (I didn't actually see what he did). So you do have to be careful about learning properly.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Quit if you want, that's your business, but I say... Oh, c'mon -- you must ask your Teacher to explain better, or even ask some of his high ranking students if he is too busy. You want to learn this, don't you? Its worth some hurt now and then, because it is such a precious thing to know!

If it is the roll that I am thinking of, I can do that roll on concrete or gravel. It does not matter! I'm not trying to brag -- I first learned this on the mat, then you can do it anywhere! You must learn to do this correctly, not just for fighting, but what if you trip and fall??? Perhaps then you can roll instead of falling on your face! This is a good thing to know.

Besides, you want to be able to fight good, just in case, right? And to have a strong body and a strong mind! You have to stick with this, keep showing up here. Later, you can learn some striking techniques, too! I have been told that the Judo people call that the atemi-waza, but do not tell your Teacher that -- just keep showing up and not quit, and keep practicing. You'll get strong and learn these motions!

Robert

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the fact you got hurt -- I have to assume that as much as you think you did just what he said, you didn't.

And, you know what? That's common! It happens to everyone of us at some point or another. Learning martial arts requires you to learn how to learn them. You have to learn to listen to what is being said, watch what's being done, and then make your body do it. It's not easy, and it takes time. I'm willing to bet the guys had a little leg up both in rolling and in learning how to do things over you just because it's not all that different from learning other sports, and we're still a kind of chauvenistic society in regard to sports.

You might consider asking your instructor what you did wrong, specifically. It could be something as simple as going to slow (rolls are a lot easier with a little more energy) or tensing up because you're afraid of the floor. (Kind of a reasonable thing to fear...)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to see you back!

Definitely ask your teacher, but I have a couple of thoughts:

1. JKS is right - guys do rolls in football and other sports and whether we like it or not, they're used to falling down - more so than girls. No offense.

2. What I've noticed is that people of both genders who do not have a lot of upper body strength don't really have a sense of using their arms as springs and this is basically what I *THINK* you might be missing.

If you notice you're coming down hard on your elbow or shoulder or neck or back, you may not be supporting your weight through the landing by using proper tension in your arms. That's not to say you want to hold your arm completely rigid ... nor do you want to let it crumple up - that's how clavicles get broken. If you have good upper body strength it's easier to do rolls, if you don't, it's easy to get hurt trying.

So - push ups! Pull-ups! Presses! heh heh heh.

There are safer ways to learning the rolls, too. Go back and ask your sensei if he'll explain more and work with you directly a little more. You may have to ask more than once if he's a traditionalist but if he gives you proper instruction it may be worth it.

Let us know how it pans out.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
little_miss_fracus

Tell us, is this the roll that you speak of?

If it IS, then you listen to me -- if you ever really learn this motion, you will NEVER forget it -- it is like riding a bicycle, one you learn it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions