Jack Hoban in Wisconson

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jack was my own first teacher, from just a couple of months after he got his shodan until he relocated to New Jersey, and is still a very good friend -- I can't recommend him highly enough!

He'll also be at the annual Bujinkan Buyu Camp just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco the last weekend in June.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to go really badly, but I could not get the day off work... :(

Im going to miss the seminar, I am just glad my instructor is going, Im sure he will bring back great material.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I respect Hoban Sensei because of his No-nonsense aproach. He doesn't try to say he is above and beyond his teachers. I have nothing but respect who recognize where they come from.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, in class this morning we went over some of the material he presented...

Everyone said it was a great seminar, and it seems a lot of it focused on using "3D" space, and veiwing the space around your opponent instead of just your oponent...

I really would have liked to have gone. Well, maybe next time...

P

phlux

Jack Hoban was at the Buyu Camp last year and discussed this topic (using 3d space) to some detail.

Jack is an incredible mover, and his command of his area of influence is impressive.

I wrote here a bit after the Buyu camp last year on this subject (3d space), which was discussed with Steffan You can read that here.

I look forward to going this year as well...

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
phlux said:
Jack Hoban was at the Buyu Camp last year and discussed this topic (using 3d space) to some detail.

Jack is an incredible mover, and his command of his area of influence is impressive.

I wrote here a bit after the Buyu camp last year on this subject (3d space), which was discussed with Steffan You can read that here.

I look forward to going this year as well...

Yeah! I remember that! Cool. The theme this time seems to have focused on using the 3d space with a sword. Cool stuff!

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
phlux said:

That was a good writeup -- thanks for the link!

Steffen is a delight -- I've also hung out with him a good bit on a couple of occasions in Japan, and one of my students is over visiting him in Germany right now.

I haven't yet heard whether he's coming to this year's Buyu Camp, but he's been there the last several years and Jack went over there to do a seminar for him fairly recently, so I'd say it's a good bet that he'll be back.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys, don't forget that this year is the very first East Coast Buyu Camp also. I believe Steffan will be teaching at this one also.

I just went to another of Jack's seminars this weekend and had a blast. I'm still trying to figure out what some of us have dubbed "the Jack slime". He just kind of smothers you like a slime that fills in every crack of space you need to respond. It's hilarious to watch, sucks to experience.

Josh

C

clayton

if i remember right(which isnt too often) he mentioned at tai kai that he wouldnt be here for buyu west

Latest Discussions