I've forgotten what its like.....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
to be a white belt!

I have a new school with 10 brand new students ranging in age from 7-13. They're not comfortable doing a kihap. Since I'm the only one to model after, there's no peer-preasure, either.

How can I get them comfortable with doing it. I have a lot of girls who don't have a frame of reference for it. I'm at a loss to say anything but, "Just yell."

I'm an introvert, but I've never had trouble having a loud kihap.

Any suggestions?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just like anything Iceman patience is the key, I always tell my new students every time they kick they need to ki-op and if they don't iit is 25 push-up or squarts. That has always worked for me.
terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Just like anything Iceman patience is the key, I always tell my new students every time they kick they need to ki-op and if they don't iit is 25 push-up or squarts. That has always worked for me.
terry

I'll keep that in mind. Lotsa push-ups & squats:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'll keep that in mind. Lotsa push-ups & squats:)

Yea it does seem extra activities open those little mouth alot faster
Terry

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm leading a kickboxing class of women, hopefully to get them into TKD if they really like it. Alot of them like it. So in leading the classes, I do the workout with them. I am their fearless leader so I yell, and then they yell. Even if I stop kicking to adjust the volume of the music, they stop. Kickboxing is an adjustment for most of them. None had done any prior regular exercise. It is as if they need to find themselves first in the new role of a martial artist (even if they haven't signed up formally). So, by far I drown them out, but they are yelling louder now. In our society, we are not supposed to yell. Women, even men do not yell or that shows anger or loss of control. it is hard to transition to even a yell that is permissible. It is hard to get to that spot to focus her energy, to where she may say, I am woman, hear me roar. Someday, I will hear them yell by themselves, and I will smile. TW

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Teach them *why* to ki-hap. If they associate it with improved power, etc...it may help them to remember that it's not just a 'yell' and they won't view it as such an obnoxiously uncomfortable thing to do.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Freep - they have to know the purpose of a kihap before they will be able to do it properly. I have kids and adults, and the kids love it - the adults tend to be a little shyer, until they realize that I can outyell at least 5 or 6 of them together, and then they're usually more willing to kihap in a group to try to outyell me, which leads to yelling in trios and pairs, and then individually.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Teach them *why* to ki-hap. If they associate it with improved power, etc...it may help them to remember that it's not just a 'yell' and they won't view it as such an obnoxiously uncomfortable thing to do.

Though it would seem like that should work, it never does. My personal experience (for what it's worth) is that explaining anything someone doesn't really want to know has little or no effect. Once they start to become curious about things and want to know, it becomes very useful. Go figure. Line them up, go one at a time. Yell! Yell Louder! LOUDER!

They'll still have to do push ups! :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, I know I don't do TKD and I definitely don't ky-op but what about some sort of "ky-op" award system you could offer. Put up a chart, mark it off whenever you here them ky-op well, make it a bit of a big deal, especially for the younger ones.

Just a thought and probably less then .02 cents :)

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
to be a white belt!

I have a new school with 10 brand new students ranging in age from 7-13. They're not comfortable doing a kihap...
...Any suggestions?

Ice, I think you hit the nail on the head with the title of your post. One of the secrets of being a good Instructor, and eventually a Master Instructor, is to be able to see things through the eyes, and minds of your students. It is about reminding yourself daily what it was like to be a white belt, a green belt, or a red belt, and then realizing that not everyone is going to experience it from the same perspective you did. Not every child's brain works the same and each might learn differently.

As you stated, these students are new. Most of what they do in your class is going to seem strange, and uncomfortable to them. They have never sat, stood, walked, breathed, or held their body like we teach them. They have been taught by parents and teachers to be quiet (especially indoors), but make no mistake, they are capable of running and screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs (most of them do on the playground).

I suggest a brief explanation to all beginners that the yelling is to control breathing, help tighten muscles to increase power and absorb impacts (avoid getting the wind knocked out of you), to focus Ki, and to startle your opponent. Teach them to yell from the gut, not in the throat, and to use the diaphram to contract and push the air out. Please be sure to teach them to yell an appropriate sound like "HAAAAA" (or some other variation), and not the word "KIHAP!" In korean, "Kihap" means to yell. If students yell that word, it is like English speaking students shouting the word "YELL!"

I also suggest encouragement rather than punishment. Push-ups are fine for the intermediate students who are sluffing off, and not doing their best. Beginner students need time to adjust, and learn new habits. They need and example, so be one. Let them watch you warm up, work out on a bag with loud kihaps, or break rebreakable boards. You might be surprised how quickly students start to immitate their instructor.

They perform better when they are excited and interested so use the games, and yelling contests between each other. Have teams, and reward the teams or individuals who yell the loudest rather than punishing those who don't (this changes a bit for middle and high ranks, but positive reinforcement always gets the best results). Praise them all for doing a good job, and tell them you are proud of them.

These are my suggestions. I hope they help!
CM D. J. Eisenhart

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I told one guy who just could not nail a kihap to save his life, seemingly, to just shout "Hey!" like he was trying to catch up with a friend about 100 feet from him. It worked for him.

A colleague of mine suggested to another girl to try saying "cheese" where she would normally feel power or thought she should kihap. This took the pressure off and it's a word you say almost every day (I guess there's also a philosophy behind it, but I don't recall) and that can take the pressure off of finding the right sound. Usually the kihap comes rather naturally after that.

Freep's suggestion, I think, is paramount when training people about kihaps - they should learn why they kihap and how it generates energy, etcetera.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also suggest encouragement rather than punishment. Push-ups are fine for the intermediate students who are sluffing off, and not doing their best. Beginner students need time to adjust, and learn new habits. They need and example, so be one. Let them watch you warm up, work out on a bag with loud kihaps, or break rebreakable boards. You might be surprised how quickly students start to immitate their instructor.

They perform better when they are excited and interested so use the games, and yelling contests between each other. Have teams, and reward the teams or individuals who yell the loudest rather than punishing those who don't (this changes a bit for middle and high ranks, but positive reinforcement always gets the best results). Praise them all for doing a good job, and tell them you are proud of them.

These are my suggestions. I hope they help!
CM D. J. Eisenhart[/quote]

Master Eisenhart:

I was joking when I agreed with Master Stoker about the push-ups & squats. (So was he). I've always had a appreciation for the Marques de Sade school of martial arts, tho. As in, "The beatings will continue until Morale improves." It is funny to joke about, but it doesn't work. Darn it:)

You are right, it is intimidating being told to stand there & not move, call someone sir, etc. I try to make a big game of the kihap & I continuly encourage them. It will come. Chuck Norris was not made in a day.

I'm taking them to watch the National Qualifying tournament (USAT)in Anaheim, CA in April. I figure its a great opportunity to not only watch folks close their own rank, but also some of the highest quality fighters as well. They won't have tested yet, so they'll still all be white belts. That should shoot them with some enthuiasm.

Latest Discussions