It's time for a new job.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It worked pretty well for Shel Silverstein! Lucky bastard ... :ultracool
The Smoking Gun website had Paris Hilton's financial disclosure from a court case, being the "Stupid Spoiled Whore™" of fame and legend is VERY profitable...

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm ... maybe I'm missing an opportunity here? Oh wait, I'm not stupid.

Perhaps I could fake it convincingly. :fanboy:

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt you could fake it well enough...

... for which I thank you humbly. I needed that tonight. :asian:

Back to the drawing board in the morning.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just spent an hour or so reading up on blogging and I'm surprised at how easy it is! For some reason I thought it would be a big ordeal to set everything up. For years people have been telling me "You're a good writer. You should blog." I know I'm a good writer, I've been paid for it in the past.

A friend of a friend locally has enjoyed amateur photography for years, and followed similar advice in a lazy way. She took some of her favorite images and had them framed professionally, and put on display at her usual coffee shop. She was shocked to see them fly off the walls! So within six months she's graduated to a mail-order business and the art festival circuit.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get that lucky too. And if not it's no big deal. I write all the time anyway so it wouldn't exactly be a loss. Now I just have to figure out what my topic will be. I have a couple passions that would make equally good blogs. Hell, I could do both!

Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You should look into Millionaire Playboy as a line of "work"...
I would, but, I don't like going to parties...

Well I would, but I don't much like parties either and the whole playboy part is out because I am married and rather happy about it....so maybe I will just shoot for millionaire or in today’s world economy...multi-billionaire if I want to actually afford to quit my job :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just spent an hour or so reading up on blogging and I'm surprised at how easy it is! For some reason I thought it would be a big ordeal to set everything up. For years people have been telling me "You're a good writer. You should blog." I know I'm a good writer, I've been paid for it in the past.

A friend of a friend locally has enjoyed amateur photography for years, and followed similar advice in a lazy way. She took some of her favorite images and had them framed professionally, and put on display at her usual coffee shop. She was shocked to see them fly off the walls! So within six months she's graduated to a mail-order business and the art festival circuit.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get that lucky too. And if not it's no big deal. I write all the time anyway so it wouldn't exactly be a loss. Now I just have to figure out what my topic will be. I have a couple passions that would make equally good blogs. Hell, I could do both!

Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone.

Go for it, BLOGS AWAY.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is just plain weird.

This morning I had an appraiser come in to evaluate my condo. Out of nowhere he mentions that he's working on a book for home buyers, and that he needs an editor. "Interesting you should mention that," sez I, "I used to be in journalism and I want to start freelancing."

On the spot, he offered me $35/hour to work on this book. He'll email me the draft, and we'll talk from there. It's a strange world. :ultracool

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is just plain weird.

This morning I had an appraiser come in to evaluate my condo. Out of nowhere he mentions that he's working on a book for home buyers, and that he needs an editor. "Interesting you should mention that," sez I, "I used to be in journalism and I want to start freelancing."

On the spot, he offered me $35/hour to work on this book. He'll email me the draft, and we'll talk from there. It's a strange world. :ultracool

Congratulations :highfive:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I retired from active law enforcement and need something to keep me from going stir crazy and to keep the cash flowing until the retirement checks start...I got a job driving a shuttle bus at the airport..I mean I had the commerical drivers license with the airbrakes and passenger endorsements so I figured why not...I would love to post who tips and who doesnt but that would bring the wraths of the Mods and Super Mods on my head, as well as being accused of generalizing or profiling..

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations! For myself, I decided to shelve the career change until I figured out my move. I tried, but I simply couldn't do both at the same time. Getting out of my neighborhood is much more pressing. After spending a couple weeks on the west coast and gaping slack-jawed at the cost of housing out here, now I'm thinking of going back to work full-time. I'm sure my doctor will whap me with her clipboard when I bring it up, but I'm not really sure how else to make it. On my current budget I can't even afford a subsidized efficiency apartment in Portland. Section 8 isn't even accepting applications "until further notice" anyway. Sigh.

I'm hellbent on moving out here at this point. I'll figure something out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Thanks Flea...I should/could a whole thread about the people that use the airport shuttle..So if travel is in your holiday plans dont forget the men and women that drive and assist with the luggage..The hourly rate is poor and the tips REALLY help..

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have an interview! I have an interview!!!

A close friend of mine is a retired social worker who specialized in finding employment for the most challenged of job seekers - former homeless, illiterate, and of course, people with disabilities. He told me about transcription. I'd heard of medical transcription, but he told me about court reporting. I wouldn't have to go back to school for it, and as a former journalist I have a small grasp of legalese already. And of course I can already transcribe pretty close to real-time after three years as a phone rep.

Most importantly I could do it from home. :highfive:

None of which is to say that I have this wrapped up, but I'm pretty excited. It's hard for me to find work I can do, in conditions I can handle. And I have a big resume gap from being sick for five years. So this means a lot to me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an interview! I have an interview!!!

A close friend of mine is a retired social worker who specialized in finding employment for the most challenged of job seekers - former homeless, illiterate, and of course, people with disabilities. He told me about transcription. I'd heard of medical transcription, but he told me about court reporting. I wouldn't have to go back to school for it, and as a former journalist I have a small grasp of legalese already. And of course I can already transcribe pretty close to real-time after three years as a phone rep.

Most importantly I could do it from home. :highfive:

None of which is to say that I have this wrapped up, but I'm pretty excited. It's hard for me to find work I can do, in conditions I can handle. And I have a big resume gap from being sick for five years. So this means a lot to me.
Are you talking about being a court reporter? While it's possible to be home-based, that involves a lot of time in various locations, such as courtrooms or offices where depositions are being taken. It also requires some very specific training.

Otherwise, I know there are transcription services around (we use one on occasion, to transcribe interview recordings, for example). I still suspect you'd need some training, even with some background. Formatting and that sort of thing... And, if you're doing legal transcription, you probably want a legal dictionary or three...

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kick some tail feathers during the interview!!! I hope you get the job! I am also excited that you are well enough to be able to pursue a career!

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Court reporter? Sort of. While most of that job description involves lots of courtroom time, mere transcription is the bottom of that professional barrel as I understand it. It requires minimal training. For the full-fledged career there is a certification required, but not for transcription itself.

I wouldn't mind going back to school on general principle, but I'm not sure what career I can do that I'd need another degree for. I already have a BA.

They said they do on-the-job training for transcription, and they've already seen my resume. I don't think they'd call me in if they didn't have confidence I could do it. We'll have to see.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
...I would love to post who tips and who doesnt but that would bring the wraths of the Mods and Super Mods on my head, as well as being accused of generalizing or profiling..

From my stint as a waitress, I could do the same. I'd love to compare notes on men vs. women tippers. It would be interesting to see how your being male affects that, as well as the nature of your job vs. serving food.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my stint as a waitress, I could do the same.
Yeah, I bet you could...

I'd love to compare notes on men vs. women tippers. It would be interesting to see how your being male affects that, as well as the nature of your job vs. serving food.

It's not as much as a male-vs-female thing but a country of orgin thing..Certain ethnic groups just don't tip..Nuff said...