Is your fighting style an "art" or a "science"?

Askari Mwalimu

White Belt
Reaction score
First and always I wish to thank the founders of Martial Talk for being so generous with us "prodigals" by reminding us that we have not be active on a consistant basis. In no way do I wish to seem neglectful but I recently relocated and have found that the world for single individuals now is quite different if your follow a code of discipline... But that is another topic for another time......LOL

Anyway my thought for the moment is about what we really mean when we say martial arts or martial sciences.

That is why I just love technology…. It is an incredible vehicle to address those topics that have been a source of stress in my life for the last 30 years!!! LOL

Bottom line…. Combat is not supposed to be pretty…. So why do we refer to the fighting systems as “martial arts”. My definition of the word “art” is something that is connected with dance, music, sculptures, paintings, theatre… Like things that are housed in a museum.

But the word “science” invokes images in my mind of…. Mathematical executions, the inter-action of kinetic energy throughout the body, the strategy of movement – like a well timed sweep!!

Therefore, when people ask me what type of fighting “arts” do I study I take the opportunity to share the above definitions. As participants, it is quite contradictory for us to combine these 2 words together (“martial arts”) as these two words are “cousins by marriage” but not through blood.
Like the phrases… “Almost pregnant” and “not quite dead”…. Either something is or it isn’t.

I am a tactician…. A disciple of the martial sciences. My area of expertise is in the AFrikan discipline and combat systems. The Afrikan fighting styles were developed specifically for war as in the word martial…. In the urban environment – my energy level is geared toward neutralizing all threats to my self-preservation. Strictly maiming or killing the enemy. This is not personal. Specifically one does not have to be angry to defend ones self. In fact, emotions never even come into play. At the moment that the first technique is physically in motion – my mind has already mapped out the strategy for the entire series of defense. Just like in a game of chess. One should always be focused on the future moves for oneself and their opponent.

As an life long Afrikan Discipline Scientist, I must credit those Elders and Ancestors for maintaining a cohesive concept of combat (mind, spirit and body) rather than allowing fragments of the system to be isolated and taught individually as an art of presentation.

For the sake of education specifically – I have embraced tournament venues to introduce the martial minded community to the long buried Afrikan Martial Sciences. And I am most appreciative of those promoters who have allowed me to compete around the world.

Therefore with great pride I wish to announce that these efforts have not gone in vain. Creator willing, the next 90 days will provide me the opportunity to present at 3 highly prestigious martial sciences events.

Beginning on May, 10, 2008 I will be attending the London Hall of Fame hosted by Grandmaster Gary Wasniewski through the sponsorship of the Gilbert Martial Arts Academy. In addition to being a recipient for the Grandmaster of the Year award - most important I will be able to present for the first time the AKERU Afrikan Discipline Sciences to the European Grandmasters in attendance. Next during the last week of June, 2008, AKERU will be attending the Ta Merrian Afrikan Martial Arts Institute Domestic Martial Camp hosted by Ahati Kilindi Iyi. This is a historical continuing effort to bring the AFrikan Fighting Masters together from around the world for 3 days of intensive hand to hand combat in a no frills setting. Then final component of this trilogy will be the honor to serve as an instructor for the National Women’s Martial Arts Federation Seminar Summer Camp in July, 2008. The NWMAF celebrates years as a source of knowledge and comradeship for women and girls who pursue the martial arts/sciences as both students and instructors from around the globe – it will be my extreme pleasure to serve as a seminar presenter.

With the blessing of the Creator at each of these events, I will endeavor to share historical documentation in addition to practical demonstration of the Afrikan martial science systems.

Well here ends my Blog …. For the moment……LOL

So again I ask…..
Is what you practice an “art” for self-presentation or a “science” for self-preservation….?

Askari Mwalimu

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I feel it is a science. Our instructor encourages us to look at the kinesiology aspect of our techniques.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I don't feel the two have to be mutually exclusive: Like any science, there will be certain principles and formulae in each art to make its techniques function, and like any art project, yours will be different from mine, or anyone else's, when it is finished.

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The system I practise:

At a fighting level it is a science
At a higher level it is an art (expressed through dance like footwork/body shifting/hand mudras etc to imitate Sanatan Hindu Gods and Goddesses)
At a personal level it is Pooja (worship of weapons through training and contemplation)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are certain aspects of science to any art form and vice versa. Any time you put your own personal expression on your fighting style it is part artistic.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe I practice both. A science because the techniques are built on principles and if those principles are not adhered to, the techniques are ineffecive and there is a loss of efficiency. An art because in the application of those principles I'm not confined to a rigid structure, there is freedom for self expression within the structure of the system.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much as MahaKaal stated, the combative "art" that I study is a science for me these days. As I learn more, I feel that I will start to see the beauty of the art.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe that it is both.

Actually, most "arts" have heavy scientific underpinnings. Music is highly mathematical and relies on the physics of the various instruments combined with very specific technique in order to produce the appropriate combinations of sounds. Dance is very much the same way, there are specific descriptions of many movements in dance which are proper not only aesthetically, but also biomechanically. Fault in proper dance technique can lead to not only a poor performance, but also injury.

Conversely, the application of the medical sciences by physicians requires far more than the understanding of anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc. Without the application of the "art of medicine" many patients leave doctor's offices disgruntled, angry, or possibly failing to understand or agree to the course of action recommended by the physician.

Adam Hsu has described his view that each movement in kung fu can be likened to a different note on a musical scale. Forms are essentially songs written by the great masters to show us how these notes can be combined to be effective and flowing combinations. Different martial artists will bring different flavors and interpretations to moves, but the common background remains. Sparring becomes something akin to a jam session, where each participant plays off of what the opponent does.

To deny the science (anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, physics) behind martial practices is remaining blind to the essentials of the practice. But to deny the artistry possible through martial practices is confines these practices to something less than their potential.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe that it is both.

Actually, most "arts" have heavy scientific underpinnings. Music is highly mathematical and relies on the physics of the various instruments combined with very specific technique in order to produce the appropriate combinations of sounds. Dance is very much the same way, there are specific descriptions of many movements in dance which are proper not only aesthetically, but also biomechanically. Fault in proper dance technique can lead to not only a poor performance, but also injury.

Conversely, the application of the medical sciences by physicians requires far more than the understanding of anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc. Without the application of the "art of medicine" many patients leave doctor's offices disgruntled, angry, or possibly failing to understand or agree to the course of action recommended by the physician.

This gets to the core of the issue. The best martial training is "scientific" in the same sense as any refined craft or art, such as swordsmithing, or sculpting, for that matter. However, true science is replicable. A procedure may be repeated under identical conditions anywhere, at any time, by a qualified technician and you can expect identical results. Arts, by contrast yield varying results depending upon the Artist involved. It is an essentially personal expression. I say this because I'm, an artist and a Martial Artist.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it's a discipline, studied scientifically, that can have an artistic expression.

Frost

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that it is definitiely a marriage of both.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is what you practice an “art” for self-presentation or a “science” for self-preservation….?

Yes.

As others have said, I believe that it is both; the two are so intertwined as to make differentiation between them irrelevant.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm both a hobby scientist, and a hobby artist, and I have to agree with the definitions above.

The art I create in also useful. That's just a decision I made about what I like. Some people create art to "express themselves" I don't. I create art to bring out the natural beauty of useful things. For me, beauty is function. If you add too much stuff to a tool, so that it is no longer a tool, then it is no longer beautiful to me.

I make swords as an art form. They are intended to be displayed on a wall. They are also fully functional. Balance, steel quality, tempering, strength, and even sharpness all add to the beauty of the simple sword. Some of these qualities are not readily apparent to people who don't understand swords, but that's okay. I know, and those qualities make them beautiful to me. It is an art based on science. Each sword is unique, and the methods employed to create them are a combination of scientific knowledge, and imagination.

I also enjoy sailing. The physics of a sailboat, and the manipulation of the sails is extremely scientific, but the sight, or feel of a sailboat on the wind is beautiful.

It's basically the thought that science properly applied, is worth more than the sum of the science that created it. At that point it becomes art.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like to think of my martial art as an art build upon scientific principles.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out - science is art and art is science.

However like all things it takes teh right mind to appreciate it.
Take math for instance: When i see a algebraic equation solved i see a science\language involved however their is also a strange beauty in it - to many this can not be seen as their understanding has not moved beyond the classroom.

This is similar to the martial arts world. At first it may seem like a bunch of fluent moves designed to defend yourself or achieve a victory. However as the understanding moves beyond the drill it becomes evident that their is more to it than just the science - the beauty of it becomes evident.

So yes - we study a science however it is also an art.

Just my 2 cents.....

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well bagua is a strange beast in this regard. It may well be the most beautiful martial art to see which would suggest strong attention to the aesthetic. But there are also some pretty complex scientific principles involved, most specifically classical physics (kinesthetics and dynamics) and anatomy, which have to be recognised and acknowledged. Having said that, I cannot then say that it is a fighting science.

Bagua, like most martial arts, is a multi-disciplinary method, with elements both scientific and artistic. A scientific approach is very usueful for a beginner in any martial art as it lays out the processes in a straightforward and understandable manner. But later, when interpretation and variation based on principles become the feature it becomes some thing akin to an artform.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That'll teach me to wait too long to make an addition to this thread ... everyones made the salient points already :D! So thanks chaps both for the insights and the lesson about being tardy to the table :).

Latest Discussions