Is Taekwondo progression all just memorization?

BaehrTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can see having a particular series for forms #1-5, but to number techniques or combos to memorize is not to my liking. Reminds me of the old song, Secret Agent Man, where they "give you a number and take away your name." In my style there are basic kihon, upper and lower body techniques (about 30), that are referred to by some teachers by number. I much prefer just saying the name. In the very old days of karate, the moves didn't even have names - just, "against left head punch, move your arm like this, then do this kick to his knee." There were no lists, just privately handed down oral tradition.

The reason for having a naming and numbering scheme is so we can say: "Do #4" versus having to say the text in bold above.

It's purely for convenience.

BaehrTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think names would be easier to remember than numbers. We don't do either. If we're practicing one-step type things, I'll demonstrate and say 'go for it' and then wander around answering questions and giving feedback.
During tests, we might say "show me X ways to counter Y". One of the things we're looking for with high-geup and Dan ranks is things we did not explicitly show them. That demonstrates understanding of the underlying principles involved.
That's a good idea. I just wouldn't do it for the color belts.

At color belt (white to red) I want them to learn a few proven skill building techniques to counter certain attacks and then once they've learned a core set of basics then we can start having them make up their own and start thinking of new ways to use and combine them.

The "show me X ways to counter Y" is like a perfect black belt class partner exercise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We teach all of the technique names in English, and I advise every other school in an English-speaking country to do the same.

The schools that insist on using Korean names for techniques (outside of Korea) are doing so because they think it scores them more points for legitimacy, but all it really does it create another huge barrier for students trying to learn.

We use Korean only for the formal stuff like attention, bow, and ready. All of the technique names and counting are in English.

It would be like teaching modern mathematics to English speaking students by writing the textbook in ancient Greek or Hebrew. That would be laughable.
We are thought Chinese names which sucked because we didn't have anyone who could correct us when we try to say the names.

One day we had a woman trying out the classes and she giggled as the instructed to count in Chinese. Even I don't know if it's Cantonese or Mandarin or some other dialect. I can only assume that the instructor butchered the language which is worst than not knowing it.

I wasn't offended about the giggles. If someone is going to counter to 10 in another language then at least take the time to get that correct.

Chinese is difficult for me because I'm tone deaf. I can't hear the slight differences. Maybe I could hear it if I was submerged in only hearing it everyday .

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I just wouldn't do it for the color belts.

At color belt (white to red) I want them to learn a few proven skill building techniques to counter certain attacks and then once they've learned a core set of basics then we can start having them make up their own and start thinking of new ways to use and combine them.

The "show me X ways to counter Y" is like a perfect black belt class partner exercise.
Different schools, different expectations.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW we initially did not have set series / combinations for step sparring. Students could make up their own. Quickly became obvious what the students made up were often awkward, made no sense and were lacking in Coherent principals.

For My BB test we had to learn a series of 40 1 steps. I felt that was excessive. When I took over the school I created, 4 each of 3.2.and one step with the each of those 3,2,and then 1 steps learned at successive colored belts. Each Series included techniques new to the rank level and or new concepts.

For sparring, each color belt level learns a combination based on certain sparring concepts. Each combination has a letter. The advantage to a lettering system is that when they start sparring or when they compete you can coach by saying, "A" "B" "C" etc.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For My BB test we had to learn a series of 40 1 steps. I felt that was excessive. When I took over the school I created, 4 each of 3.2.and one step with the each of those 3,2,and then 1 steps learned at successive colored belts. Each Series included techniques new to the rank level and or new concepts.
I don't understand this sentence, can you elaborate?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand this sentence, can you elaborate?
For instance - for step parring I created 4 set examples to be used. For instance for 3 step # 1 the attack was walking stance Punch and Block was middle inner forearm and counter was reverse Punch . This was taught at 10th Gup, another at 9th, 8th , and7th, 2 step would start at 6th Gup, with #1, then # 2 at 5th, etc. , with 1 step the same way starting at 2nd Gup. These typicaly used techniques introduced at the rank pattern, but not always.

Sparing Combination starting at 10th Gup with "A" being Lead hand High Jab, rear foot advancing middle front snap kick, followed by high punch with same side as kicking leg hand. B being taught at 9th Gup etc. These reinforce the principle of varying the level and or angle of the attacks in combinations to create openings.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We are thought Chinese names which sucked because we didn't have anyone who could correct us when we try to say the names.

One day we had a woman trying out the classes and she giggled as the instructed to count in Chinese. Even I don't know if it's Cantonese or Mandarin or some other dialect. I can only assume that the instructor butchered the language which is worst than not knowing it.

I wasn't offended about the giggles. If someone is going to counter to 10 in another language then at least take the time to get that correct.

Chinese is difficult for me because I'm tone deaf. I can't hear the slight differences. Maybe I could hear it if I was submerged in only hearing it everyday .
My first instructor was Cantonese-speaking. "Charyot Kyungye" was "cheese kahnie". I didn't know anything at the time, but now I wonder . "was it butchered Korean, or is that maybe some Cantonese words?"

I try to count in Korean for the kids. But I typically ask any native speakers to count for us since kids might as well hear the best pronunciation!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We teach all of the technique names in English, and I advise every other school in an English-speaking country to do the same.

The schools that insist on using Korean names for techniques (outside of Korea) are doing so because they think it scores them more points for legitimacy, but all it really does it create another huge barrier for students trying to learn.

We use Korean only for the formal stuff like attention, bow, and ready. All of the technique names and counting are in English.

It would be like teaching modern mathematics to English speaking students by writing the textbook in ancient Greek or Hebrew. That would be laughable.
I actually like the Korean terms, as I think it then becomes a lingua franca (common language) for all TKD students, at least for very basic terms.

As well, I like that some of the Korean terms are descriptive. For example, when one instructor was telling a kid to bend more on the front stance, I commented that in Korean it is called Ap Kubi - front bent.

BaehrTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually like the Korean terms, as I think it then becomes a lingua franca (common language) for all TKD students, at least for very basic terms.

As well, I like that some of the Korean terms are descriptive. For example, when one instructor was telling a kid to bend more on the front stance, I commented that in Korean it is called Ap Kubi - front bent.

At black belt we learned some basic Korean terms for things like front snap kick, counting to 10, etc. as part of a mandatory written test, one at each level of black belt, but we never taught the class in Korean.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At black belt we learned some basic Korean terms for things like front snap kick, counting to 10, etc. as part of a mandatory written test, one at each level of black belt, but we never taught the class in Korean.
Was the learning of basic terms in Korean so as to be able to blend in at other schools, where Korean terms may be used?

Without ever using the terms in class, would most people end up forgetting them all in a few weeks or months?

BaehrTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Was the learning of basic terms in Korean so as to be able to blend in at other schools, where Korean terms may be used?
No. It was to solidify what students learned at the school and add a few additional common terms.

Once people at black belt level left, they either left to open their own school or they retired.

Without ever using the terms in class, would most people end up forgetting them all in a few weeks or months?
Not really because every black belt test included a written test.

Latest Discussions