Is Obama black?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except that "bi-racial" is a term that hasn't existed in this context until... now? I can't think of a time when a black person, whether he or she had white family members or not, had to account for how many black people were in the family tree.

It comes off to me as self serving and disengenous. A way for white dudes like Ballen to minimize the milestone in our efforts to GET to a point where race doesn't matter.

Allegations that race and religion, gender and sexual orientation don't matter discount the actual bigotry that continues to exist. It's a slap in the face of people who actually work for equality. And it always seems to be white dudes saying it. "Oh, I don't see color."

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Except that "bi-racial" is a term that hasn't existed in this context until... now? I can't think of a time when a black person, whether he or she had white family members or not, had to account for how many black people were in the family tree.

It comes off to me as self serving and disengenous. A way for white dudes like Ballen to minimize the milestone in our efforts to GET to a point where race doesn't matter.

Allegations that race and religion, gender and sexual orientation don't matter discount the actual bigotry that continues to exist. It's a slap in the face of people who actually work for equality. And it always seems to be white dudes saying it. "Oh, I don't see color."

Oh I see it, I just don`t think it matters nearly as much as whether or not the person standing in front of me is someone I can respect or not. Personally I think alot of us already ARE at a place where race doesn`t matter. And the rest of you could get here alot faster if you`d try saying things like "Linda got here on her own talent and merit" instead of "Linda got here on her own talent and merit....and by the way she`s _________." Neither the milestones nor the journey are the destination.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ive herd the term Bi-racial for years. Its not self serving or disingenuous If your parents are 2 different races and you wish to show respect to both parents then why pick one over the other? When we fill out arrest booking information for our court systems we have a space for Bi-racial/white-Hispanic/other

Let me break it down simple for you I know its almost 4:20 there. If a horse and a donkey mate you get a mule not a horse or a donkey.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And its usually apologetic white guilt that tries to force a person to meet a milestone to show "How Far we have come" even if the person does not fit the criteria. Of course it only counts if the person is a Liberal because we all know the horrible things that were said about Condoleezza Rice, and Colin Powell when they were part of the Bush white house.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's an American. He's the President of the United States. He's a Democrat. He's some form of Christian, apparently.

The rest is incidental and I'm personally kind of sick of all of it.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
nevermind. Done with this one. Frankly, the ugly turn that the conversation's taken is nauseating.

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ive herd the term Bi-racial for years. Its not self serving or disingenuous If your parents are 2 different races and you wish to show respect to both parents then why pick one over the other? When we fill out arrest booking information for our court systems we have a space for Bi-racial/white-Hispanic/other

" For years" doesn't really mean that much in this country. "Bi/mutli racial" wasn't an option on the U.S. census until 2000. It still isn't on some employers EIEIO surveys.

Now, as an aside, the products of a horse and a donkey, or a tiger and a lion, or a horse and a zebra, or a coyote and a dog are all called "sports," because, in part, they cannot breed themselves-this is, of course, because their parents are not the same species.

Unlike, of course, the numerous permutations of human "interracial" breeding-because, unlike the horse and the donkey, they are the same species. Which makes this:

Let me break it down simple for you I know its almost 4:20 there. If a horse and a donkey mate you get a mule not a horse or a donkey.

The singular most ignorant statement I've seen here in a long time-or, at least since you posted on this thread a page ago....:lol:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's an American. He's the President of the United States. He's a Democrat. He's some form of Christian, apparently.

The rest is incidental and I'm personally kind of sick of all of it.

This ought to be all there is to a person.

However:
the color of skin is important (why, only the Gods know) and not just pale vs dark, but also the shades of dark.

while I never paid any attention to it, I found myself - after over a decade immersed in US culture - wondering what 'race' a certain person was (the answer is mixed in that case). But I found it interesting and a bit worry some that that aspect has rubbed off on me.

On the same token there is that half vs whole. This golf player who shall remain un-named, I guess it was more interesting of having a 1st black winner compared to a 1st Tai winner...

What makes a 50/50 'black'?

Then again, a few (or a lot) of the good people out east who trace their roots back to the early white settlers might be surprised to find how deep their roots run to the Motherland - which is not England. I hear there was a lot of hanky panky going on...I am sure Jefferson was not the only one.

So, again, like somebody already mentioned, if 1 drop makes him Black, I am sure we had a bunch of N****** in the White House already. And I am saying this tongue in cheek for I loath the 'N' word...for many reasons, a lot of them esthetical...silly me.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now, as an aside, the products of a horse and a donkey, or a tiger and a lion, or a horse and a zebra, or a coyote and a dog are all called "sports," because, in part, they cannot breed themselves-this is, of course, because their parents are not the same species.
actually (and I looked this up before I posted that because I figured it would come up)
they can get pregnant its rare but there have been cases of mules mating with horses and the mule getting pregnant but only female mules. No cases of male mules getting females pregnant. But that's not really the point it was just an analogy

Unlike, of course, the numerous permutations of human "interracial" breeding-because, unlike the horse and the donkey, they are the same species. Which makes this:

The singular most ignorant statement I've seen here in a long time-or, at least since you posted on this thread a page ago....:lol:
Stick around I got way more ignorant stuff then that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A mule will never get another mule pregnant. A coy-dog will never get another coy-dog pregnant. A zebroid will never get another zebroid pregnant, and a liger will never get another liger pregnant.

But that's not really the point it was just an analogy

A pretty ****ing lousy one.

My kids' mom was Italian-at least, her mother was-she was adopted, and probably Germanic or even Jewish, but no one really knows. In any case, when we were dating, her grandmother said Voste bambini avranne bande, or "your children will have stripes." THe father of a good family friend, a man who I liked and admired, and who I like to think liked me said about us, gli ucellie ed i pesci: "the birds and the fish"

Stick around I got way more ignorant stuff then that.

Of that I have no doubt.You've offered ample evidence already. :rolleyes:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A mule will never get another mule pregnant. A coy-dog will never get another coy-dog pregnant. A zebroid will never get another zebroid pregnant, and a liger will never get another liger pregnant.
But a Mule can get pregnant that is whats really important because I didn't know that so I learned a new fact today.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, his dad was black, his mom was white, so, he's half and half, although, running as half and half wouldn't have garnered nearly as much hype as running as black...

He didn't run as Black,he ran as Obama.And the "hype" you attribute to him was actually generated by THE MEDIA.He merely exploited it,like most politicians would.However,his half-White lineage is completely and utterly ignored by many far Right pundits who find it to their advantage to cast him as the Black Islamic terrorist bogeyman who will take your guns create and consecrate Death Panels and allow the UN to take over the USA and all that other far-fetched nonsense.

So the REAL question is:"How do YOU define Blackness?" the US government has long defined "Blackness" as "you're 100% Black if you have a single drop of Black blood in you." Nowadays it's not so clear; Obama would clearly qualify as one of numerous "biracial" persons in the U.S.A. under current guidelines.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is wrong to discriminate against people based on race, why does race need to be stated on government forms?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
.......as long as it's with a lion or tiger, and not another tiglon.

I didn't read anything saying that they couldn't, just that they hadn't..
I don't see why they couldn't especially since they have had both male and female Tiglons prove to be fertile.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I didn't read anything saying that they couldn't, just that they hadn't..
I don't see why they couldn't especially since they have had both male and female Tiglons prove to be fertile.

Chromosones, dude. Isn't even possible for all female sports to become pregnant. Not "impossible," just way, way less likely.......like "impossible." but not quite....:lol"

Aside from which, what part makes it okay to compare the offspring of a white woman and a black man to the offspring of a horse and a donkey?

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
white folks aint the racist anymore

And, once again, you know not what you speak.

This is implying a couple of things. First, that "white folks" were racists. Well, hate to break it to you, but "white folks" were not racists. Individual white people were racists.

This also implies that some other group is racist. Considering that the context of this discussion is about Blacks and whites, you must now mean that Blacks are "the racists". Once again, individual Black people are racist, not the entire group.

But I can also assure you, there are more than a handful of white racists out there still. And yes, some of those are having a significant impact on the lives of non-whites.

Latest Discussions