Is Kung Fu "on the decline"?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not in my area. These so called trendy folks who come to NYC flock to kung fu schools. Kung Fu is very overpriced when it comes to other martial arts. I assume its in high demand, and some schools I have checked out prove it to be so, usually with high attendance from trendy out-of-towners with money. I can understand MMA being over 130 bucks a month due to the media and hype from the business, but kung fu has prices just as up there.

I was part of Hung Ga, i noticed the kung fu class had a good size, but the san shou right afterwards would have less students. I think it attracts those kinds of people who want something to do, like yoga, or some other "thing" to occupy the time.

I been looking at a praying mantis school, the one run by tony chuy, but i suspect its groing to be around 200 a month.

Everything in NYC is expensive.

And I doubt Sanshou is attracting people looking for Yoga. Sanshou is pretty much all about fighting and training and has no forms and that is why it tends to attract fewer people. That and there is a high degree of possibility that in a sanshou class you will get hit and the training is not easy and can be painful

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Everything in NYC is expensive.

And I doubt Sanshou is attracting people looking for Yoga. Sanshou is pretty much all about fighting and training and has no forms and that is why it tends to attract fewer people. That and there is a high degree of possibility that in a sanshou class you will get hit and the training is not easy and can be painful

Yeah, thats what I meant, I didnt mean those same class of people would take san shou. I didnt want to sound disrespectful to cma by saying it.

If I was able to find a praying mantis school that teaches san shou id be set.

I have found schools that arent expensive in other systems, I trained in bjj for under 130, and kyokushin under a 100, and many japanese styles under 80. I just emailed someone that is teaching Mantis in a community center and even he teaches way out there prices for whats just 4 walls and a small space.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not in my area. These so called trendy folks who come to NYC flock to kung fu schools. Kung Fu is very overpriced when it comes to other martial arts. I assume its in high demand, and some schools I have checked out prove it to be so, usually with high attendance from trendy out-of-towners with money. I can understand MMA being over 130 bucks a month due to the media and hype from the business, but kung fu has prices just as up there.

I was part of Hung Ga, i noticed the kung fu class had a good size, but the san shou right afterwards would have less students. I think it attracts those kinds of people who want something to do, like yoga, or some other "thing" to occupy the time.

I been looking at a praying mantis school, the one run by tony chuy, but i suspect its groing to be around 200 a month.

Wow. I had no idea that was the going rate in NYC. I train in NYC but I do it in Central Park with a couple guys I've trained with for years. The style of Mantis I know (Northern style dating from the Song Dynasty) is nothing any "trendy" out-of-towner would want to learn. Its very hands on, lots of hooks, wraps, joint manipulation, you name it. The Grand Master that taught me charged me next to nothing and we trained outside year round.

If you'd like a reference to a reputable school in the city that won't gouge you contact me privately and I can dig one up for you. I'm sure I have one or two contacts that can drop a good name.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea that was the going rate in NYC. I train in NYC but I do it in Central Park with a couple guys I've trained with for years. The style of Mantis I know (Northern style dating from the Song Dynasty) is nothing any "trendy" out-of-towner would want to learn. Its very hands on, lots of hooks, wraps, joint manipulation, you name it. The Grand Master that taught me charged me next to nothing and we trained outside year round.

If you'd like a reference to a reputable school in the city that won't gouge you contact me privately and I can dig one up for you. I'm sure I have one or two contacts that can drop a good name.

Song Dynasty... how about some info on it?

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
Song Dynasty... how about some info on it?

That's really the extent of my knowledge on the history of the three forms I know from the system. They were taught to Grand Master Cook (my teacher) by Grand Master Dennis Hardy (his teacher) by Grand Master Pai (who I assume learned them in China).

Latest Discussions