Is it possible to be good at wing chun...

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's more the sneaking out of the house at 4am for no warning bare knuckle combat in the parking lot that gets them. They hate that. Plus when I start showing up at your house..that is usually the final straw

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is that a bad thing? Like his WC or not Alan's guys and gals can fight. I bet they'd do just fine without gloves too.

This is where WC loses a lot of respect and credabilty with real fighters. They see internet threads like this one and think we are all a bunch of weirdo larpers, who believe we are deadly bare knuckle warriors.:nailbiting:
You would think the WC community would get behind guys like Alan making WC work in MMA. Your right about us not needing gloves, I'm having a bare knuckle boxing match when I get back from my trip around Europe. I'm open to all these 'real' WC teams dismissing Alan and our teams skills to step up and show me a thing or two. Unlike a lot of the keyboard warriors prevalent in the WC world, I've taken my fair share of hidings but I've also dished a couple out myself. If someone disrespecting Sifu Alan would like to back up their words in a fight then I'm down. The thing is if I lost, I'd happily shake my opponents hand, go out for a beer with them afterwards and then learn from the experience - I've even gone to train with guys I've lost to in the past. But, that's the difference between our team and most other WC practitioners. We compete to further our knowledge and refine our system, others just discuss hypothetical scenarios and post ******** clips on YouTube.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think the WC community would get behind guys like Alan making WC work in MMA
You would think so....Kinda like farting in the wind with some of these guys. You'll never convince them. Everybody has there idea of what WC should look like untill they get punched in the face.

I'm lucky to belong to a group (DTE) here that looks at WC in a similar way to how Alan does. Basically we test it and trim in down to raw fighting principles. So I'm behind what you guys are doing for WC!

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You would think so....Kinda like farting in the wind with some of these guys. You'll never convince them. Everybody has there idea of what WC should look like untill they get punched in the face.

I'm lucky to belong to a group (DTE) here that looks at WC in a similar way to how Alan does. Basically we test it and trim in down to raw fighting principles. So I'm behind what you guys are doing for WC!
Cheers, yeah it's a bit frustrating at times. Yep you hit the nail on the head with the whole getting punched in the face line. Somehow I don't think many people round here have haha. Keep up the good work brother, hopefully catch up one day to train.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree with a lot of Alan's views on WC or how he or his guys applies it in his clips. And in return, he's said he doesn't agree with what I do, even if he really doesn't have any experience in what I do. What he does works for him, what I do works for me.
Anyway, there's no reason to get upset or get frustrated over it. As long as people are happy with what we are doing, does it really matter if someone agrees with it or not?

(And just because I don't do it his way doesn't mean I'm not getting punched in the face :))

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your right that people should be happy to do what they want. My problem lies with the many frauds out there who teach gullible students that they can fight, defend themselves and others with hokey principals that are not based on reality. For some reason in WC there seems to be so much debate on what works and doesn't. Well that's what we have competition for... Not saying everyone has to fight, but I get real suspicious of all these teachers out there who are quick to critique Alan's WC but never back it up. The ring or the cage is the only forum you need to see who's principal works!

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree with a lot of Alan's views on WC or how he or his guys applies it in his clips. And in return, he's said he doesn't agree with what I do, even if he really doesn't have any experience in what I do. What he does works for him, what I do works for me.
Anyway, there's no reason to get upset or get frustrated over it. As long as people are happy with what we are doing, does it really matter if someone agrees with it or not?

(And just because I don't do it his way doesn't mean I'm not getting punched in the face :))
Different strokes for different folks. I like what Alan does and I like what you do. What I do now is different than both of you in some ways. In some ways it's the same. That's how I look at it.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think the WC community would get behind guys like Alan making WC work in MMA.

Why should people support something they don't agree with? It has the name wing chun, but it doesn't look like any wing chun I know. You are welcome to do what you like, but why do you expect to be cheered on and not criticized?

But, that's the difference between our team and most other WC practitioners. We compete to further our knowledge and refine our system, others just discuss hypothetical scenarios and post ******** clips on YouTube.

Is that the difference?

In my quite wide experience of wing chun (including Alan Orr), I would say the main difference is in the appetite for self promotion. Most really good wing chun groups are quite private, some might say isolated, but it has its pros and cons. Alan Orr on the other hand is above all a commercial operation. He is a bit like the Lloyd Irvin of wing chun. And he appears to be an egomaniac, which isn't all that appealing to me personally. I also don't find his wing chun to be something I want to learn in the slightest. And learning real, functional, beautiful, effective wing chun, above all else in the possible training I could be doing, is what I am here to do.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting punched in the face is great! I highly recommend adding it to everyone's training. I'm kinda of a freak in class. I line up first or cut in line and go twice. I like it that much. With gloves on of coarse. Bare knuckle just pisses me off:wacky:

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why should people support something they don't agree with? It has the name wing chun, but it doesn't look like any wing chun I know. You are welcome to do what you like, but why do you expect to be cheered on and not criticized?

Is that the difference?

In my quite wide experience of wing chun (including Alan Orr), I would say the main difference is in the appetite for self promotion. Most really good wing chun groups are quite private, some might say isolated, but it has its pros and cons. Alan Orr on the other hand is above all a commercial operation. He is a bit like the Lloyd Irvin of wing chun. And he appears to be an egomaniac, which isn't all that appealing to me personally. I also don't find his wing chun to be something I want to learn in the slightest. And learning real, functional, beautiful, effective wing chun, above all else in the possible training I could be doing, is what I am here to do.
I see what your saying which is cool, what does 'functional' And 'effective' WC mean to you.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My problem lies with the many frauds out there who teach gullible students that they can fight, defend themselves and others with hokey principals that are not based on reality.

i think Alan's curriculum is specifically pitched at a particular king of gullable student. It has hokey principles aplenty, multiple levels and dribbles of info, high cost, a lack of coherency, and a typical guru at the helm. It has the ring fighting aspect because with the advent of mma that is what sells. If we were in the 1980s Alan would be doing anti grappling while sporting a mullet and wife beater shirt.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

Is that the difference?

Show me WSL WC fighting ( not slap fighting) so I can see what WC looks like? No disrespect to WSL. It just seems like that group thinks they have it and no-one else does? Why is that?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
i think Alan's curriculum is specifically pitched at a particular king of gullable student. It has hokey principles aplenty, multiple levels and dribbles of info, high cost, a lack of coherency, and a typical guru at the helm. It has the ring fighting aspect because with the advent of mma that is what sells. If we were in the 1980s Alan would be doing anti grappling while sporting a mullet and wife beater shirt.
Wow, so tell us how you really feel?:eek:

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hokey principals? There are better forums to put these principals to the test. It's only in the WC world that there seems to be so many keyboard warriors, I was warned but have fallen right into the trap haha.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see what your saying which is cool, what does 'functional' And 'effective' WC mean to you.

Exactly the usual definitions of those words. Functional is fit for purpose, working as intended according to design, able to do its job. Effective has similar connotations in terms of working as designed, but also entails success towards a particular purpose or in terms of producing a desired result. Both functional and effective entail a purpose, a goal. Fighting in the ring is not, to me, the goal of wing chun

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hokey principals? There are better forums to put these principals to the test. It's only in the WC world that there seems to be so many keyboard warriors, I was warned but have fallen right into the trap haha.
Yes, but it's an easy trap to escape. Just clinch up, 'most' WC guys are scared of the clinch. Works every time.. Haha

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think fighting in the ring isn't the goal? Fighting in the ring is an extension of ones training? At least that's how I see it.

Latest Discussions