Is it possible to be good at wing chun...

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're right my fingers start to hurt in this type of 'battle'. Lost my insurance so I have to keep keyboard battling to a minimum. Carpal tunnel

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hokey principals? There are better forums to put these principals to the test. It's only in the WC world that there seems to be so many keyboard warriors, I was warned but have fallen right into the trap haha.

There are also many people who just like to train seriously with friends and who do not seek recognition in the way that people like Alan Orr do. There are many ways to test an MA without fighting publicly in a ring.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think fighting in the ring isn't the goal? Fighting in the ring is an extension of ones training? At least that's how I see it.

Making money is the goal. Fighting in the ring and promoting any such activity that ends in success is one means to that goal. Posting lots of youtube videos focused on self promotion while subtly dismissing traditional wing chun training is another. Franchising, drip drip teaching with never ending levels of progression, and effective payment collection systems are the way to milk those you catch in the net.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh dear, sad thing is this is what a lot of WC world consider a battle.

It is an argument. Mostly arguing is how people resolve differences and refute unsubstantiated claims. Are you saying that you would prefer to fight me in order to protect the reputation of Alan?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
He did take the red pill and he's traveling in Europe fighting and you're in Europe somewhere? I'd probably lock my doors at night? just saying.

Jk we aren't violent in here. This is all just harmless fun:)

Last edited:

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is an argument. Mostly arguing is how people resolve differences and refute unsubstantiated claims. Are you saying that you would prefer to fight me in order to protect the reputation of Alan?
In regards to martial arts, unsubstantiated claims are resolved in competition it's only in WC they are 'battled' out in forums. As I've posted elsewhere Im always eager to challenge myself, I'm about to start the next phase of my fight career. Am I picking a fight with you? No I'm not a bully, I don't pick fights but happily accept challenges.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In competition martial arts, pre arranged sporting contests are resolved by competition according to the rules. Unsanctioned fights over unsubstantiated claims are not common in the slightest. But if you know the history of mma in the UK you will remember some horrific personal reputation destructions being carried out on the sfuk and cage warriors forums, probably circa 2000 to 2005. It is fantasy to pretend that arguments only happen in traditional martial arts. I have never seen anything as bad as the old UK mma forums.

If competition is the yard stick for you then I think that Alan's results speak for themselves. If you are honest with yourself.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Your right that people should be happy to do what they want. My problem lies with the many frauds out there who teach gullible students that they can fight, defend themselves and others with hokey principals that are not based on reality. For some reason in WC there seems to be so much debate on what works and doesn't. Well that's what we have competition for... Not saying everyone has to fight, but I get real suspicious of all these teachers out there who are quick to critique Alan's WC but never back it up. The ring or the cage is the only forum you need to see who's principal works!

While I agree, there is a lot of bad WC being sold out there. And it's not only an issue with WC, but a lot of TMA's. But why worry so much about things you can't control? It's not really your problem is it?

I agree, that in the end of the day, it's what we can do that matters - Can we walk the talk. And it's an important point. In my own life I feel I've proven what works for me in the 12+ years I've been training & teaching WC from which I form my opinions. But they are just that - opinions
Now let me ask you - I have my opinions on what Alan does, and disagree with many of his approaches. Do I now need to 'back it up' and fight someone to express my an opinion? Why does it matter so much what I think? Should I care so much what he thinks about me that I should want to fight him? That would be letting my ego run everything! haha, and can you imagine what this world would be like if we all had to fight everyone we didn't agree with!
I hope you get my point here. You seem like a decent sort and it's really nothing personal, but so many people are so quick to make it so.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting punched in the face is great! I highly recommend adding it to everyone's training. I'm kinda of a freak in class. I line up first or cut in line and go twice. I like it that much. With gloves on of coarse. Bare knuckle just pisses me off:wacky:

So.....all that talk about "AZFCBKGA4PC club" was just talk then.............WTF?o_O.

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I agree, there is a lot of bad WC being sold out there. And it's not only an issue with WC, but a lot of TMA's. But why worry so much about things you can't control? It's not really your problem is it?

I agree, that in the end of the day, it's what we can do that matters - Can we walk the talk. And it's an important point. In my own life I feel I've proven what works for me in the 12+ years I've been training & teaching WC from which I form my opinions. But they are just that - opinions
Now let me ask you - I have my opinions on what Alan does, and disagree with many of his approaches. Do I now need to 'back it up' and fight someone to express my an opinion? Why does it matter so much what I think? Should I care so much what he thinks about me that I should want to fight him? That would be letting my ego run everything! haha, and can you imagine what this world would be like if we all had to fight everyone we didn't agree with!
I hope you get my point here. You seem like a decent sort and it's really nothing personal, but so many people are so quick to make it so.
Yeah I see where your coming from, and although my comments may be taken as me just being this meathead MMA guy, I don't think everything needs to be sorted by fighting ect. But... And there's always a but haha I'm starting to learn terms like functional, applicacable and what works in regards to WC differs from person to person.

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In competition martial arts, pre arranged sporting contests are resolved by competition according to the rules. Unsanctioned fights over unsubstantiated claims are not common in the slightest. But if you know the history of mma in the UK you will remember some horrific personal reputation destructions being carried out on the sfuk and cage warriors forums, probably circa 2000 to 2005. It is fantasy to pretend that arguments only happen in traditional martial arts. I have never seen anything as bad as the old UK mma forums.

If competition is the yard stick for you then I think that Alan's results speak for themselves. If you are honest with yourself.
Yeah competition is the yardstick for me personally. For example I have a 2-2 Semi pro MMA record. Am I the most skilled martial artist - hell no! But, I like many of our guys test ourselves for all to see. I compete to properly assess my skills and after each fight - especially the losses I've come back better. There's a big difference between training, sparring, competition and a real fight. Of course I'm not going to go out there and look for a 'real' fight but I think competition offers the most realistic portrayal of your skills. That's how I'm honest with myself, I've got the footage of me being beaten up haha

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you assume that nobody else has competed in sports fighting events?

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't assume that at all, I hope more WC practioners compete. It would put a lot of this forum nonsense to rest. I feel competition is the quickest way to learn, it either works or it doesn't. Now we've all seen gym warriors that fall apart under competition. Nothing wrong with this by the way, one of my best friends is an absolute stud in the gym. If you saw him rolling and sparring there's no way you'd want to fight him. Doesn't help he's shredded and half a foot taller than me haha. Unfortunately under competition or really intense sparring though he just can't seem to translate those skills he displays in the gym. I feel the fallacy of many WC practioners who don't compete actually think what you do in the gym you can in a fight. They have this weird religious like belief thing going on, or better word would be cult. Then again like many have said, if they are happy doing what they are doing who am I to judge? I was always the smartarse in class questioning the teacher - funny how I became one. So I'm all about testing out principals ect and if they work I'm happy to adapt and use them.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What forum nonsense do you mean? And who has a weird religious like belief thing going on?

Latest Discussions