Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I frankly don't care if he showed up dressed in overalls and work boots if he is a good teacher.

Also, if this is TKD, which is Korean, he could have showed up like this too.

But then what do I know, I'm a Traditional CMA guy and we don't have uniforms... Hell we don't even have colored belts for rank.

Really.... How many non asians have you seen wearing that? So if I took classes from some guy in germany I could wear this in Florida? Not that there is anything wrong with it...But I'm not German!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the criticisms would have been better left unsaid tbh.
I don't think a system that has strayed as far from traditional fighting as to do Olympic TKD really has any room to be throwing stones in glass houses. That's what it is you know, the pots calling the kettle black, best just to leave this thread alone now I think.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe the criticisms would have been better left unsaid tbh.
I don't think a system that has strayed as far from traditional fighting as to do Olympic TKD really has any room to be throwing stones in glass houses. That's what it is you know, the pots calling the kettle black, best just to leave this thread alone now I think.

What? Who is TBH?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Really.... How many non asians have you seen wearing that? So if I took classes from some guy in germany I could wear this in Florida? Not that there is anything wrong with it...But I'm not German!

I have seen several non-Asians wearing Asian stuff, I think it looks rather silly but I have not seen a whole lot of Asians wearing anything like that either, not even on the streets of China. The only place I have seen Asians wearing that would be as part of a stage show but that was not my point. My point was that I don't care if he showed up dressed in overalls and work boots if he is a good teacher. The part to focus on is "good teacher" not what he or she might be wearing. If he is a good teacher then train with him if he is not then don't. Or if you wish to judge a book by its cover that too is your prerogative

And if you so desire to wear a German outfit in Florida then go for it, personally I wouldn't but to each his own.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sooo ... first this:

In a system that stresses tradition there is something to be said about a plain white dobok. Maybe it is just me. When people start to move away from that then it begin to get watered down. People start wearing tshirts and warm up suits, red , blue, black, red/black striped, US flag doboks...etc. where does it end. I don't know this person but he doen't look Korean to me and it really didn't look like a formal testing. If he wanted for it to appear professional, then start with a more formal enviroment and belts that will not put those kids eyes out the first kick they throw. Just because I practice TKD doesn't I see myself as Korean
. Maybe his outfit would affend koreans if they saw him in it. Maybe that is some type of custom that they have when they wear it.

... and then this:

I think you're trying to find a reason to pick on this guy. And I'm not impressed.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have seen several non-Asians wearing Asian stuff, I think it looks rather silly but then I have not seen a whole lot of Asians wearing anything like that either, not even on the streets of China. The only place I have seen Asians wearing that would be as part of a stage show but that was not my point. My point was that I don't care if he showed up dressed in overalls and work boots if he is a good teacher. The part to focus on is "good teacher" not what he or she might be wearing. If he is a good teacher then train with him if he is not then don't. Or if you wish to judge a book by its cover that too is your prerogative

And if you so desire to wear a German outfit in Florida then go for it, personally I wouldn't but to each his own.
But isn't part of being a good teacher setting standards, guide lines and requiremnets? I was shown by my (Korean) grand master how to wear and care for my uniform properly. It was understood that it was part of the art. And we learned it by the standards he set for himself.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But isn't part of being a good teacher setting standards, guide lines and requiremnets? I was shown by my (Korean) grand master how to wear and care for my uniform properly. It was understood that it was part of the art. And we learned it by the standards he set for himself.

And he's wearing a dress dobuk. How is that not setting a standard?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sooo ... first this:

... and then this:

I think you're trying to find a reason to pick on this guy. And I'm not impressed.

Sorry it you feel that way, But I'm just stressing a point that he is role model and sets an example for the rest of MA.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And he's wearing a dress dobuk. How is that not setting a standard?
So if one of those kids shows up in your class wearing what he was, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I bet if you asked him wear he got it you would be surprized. And if his instructor ever had something like it.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So if one of those kids shows up in your class wearing what he was, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

The kids ... are the students. They are not the teacher. And that lesson would be a very good one for them. And I'm hoping that instructor (likely a KJN) has the skills to express such to the student who asks, "Sir, when can I wear a dobuk like yours," which is a very typical question even of the wearer of the dobuk worn by the other black belt in the picture.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lesson learned:
Do a traditional martial art and if you gussy it up you may still have great program and great students but be ready to hear some criticism.

Wait, apply that to religion. Wait apply that to schools. Wait apply that to...

Just be prepared to take some criticism in the photo friendly world.

Dave O.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The belts our kids get are long too, we can't afford to buy different sizes, we don't charge much for gradings so we buy a size that fits most people, the kids can always take them off or wrap them around three times. It's not that important. The clothes the chap was wearing aren't my taste either but then a lot of things aren't and I don't think my taste is shared by a lot of others, it's really unimportant in my opinion. Shesulsa has hit the point exactly, this thread is quite mean spirited really. I bet those who graded don't care and it's they who are important, so congrats to them and well done.
I buy belts all the time, one price for any size. If you would like I will PM you with about five different locations that you could oder them from. Or a place that sells eyes patches for kids.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The kids ... are the students. They are not the teacher. And that lesson would be a very good one for them. And I'm hoping that instructor (likely a KJN) has the skills to express such to the student who asks, "Sir, when can I wear a dobuk like yours," which is a very typical question even of the wearer of the dobuk worn by the other black belt in the picture.
Does the belt test come with a #2 and fried rice? LOL!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe someone should tell the guy his attitude is more important than his clothing. Oh ... wait ....

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Last thing...... He is even wearing running shoes, COME ON! Have some fun. :rolleyes:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does the belt test come with a #2 and fried rice? LOL!

Did I read your profile right? You're a 5th Dan Kukkiwon? Would you have your students read what you just wrote about someone you don't know? And you're trying to give ME a lesson in setting an example for other people??

Would the Kukkiwon be proud of how you're talking about someone else's clothing? This is the AWESOME organization that is the Kukkiwon?

Is this the legacy you leave and the example you set for others on this board and in your life?

:shrug:

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe someone should tell the guy his attitude is more important than his clothing. Oh ... wait ....
My mom use to tell me things like that when I got dumped or turned down. I like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions