Is Hapkido a good style for a doorman?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff Drac! It actually brought a smile to my face,having been on the receiving end of some nicely manicured nails myself.

Yes..(insert art here) would work in that situation. The real question is if the instructor you eventually pick get you there if you put in the time and effort.

Once upon a time I "checked ID's" at a local watering hole. Half the time I really didn't have to do anything physical..the most action I'd get would to bring in a new keg for the bartenders.

On the other nights,though..it could get nasty real quick-like. I'd recommend not only getting in some serious empty hand training before taking the gig,but also working those same techniques until you horque in a low-light,confined space environment.

For the record..I'm not really a huge guy myself..you just have to:

1. NEVER,ever drink on the job..regardless of what hottie's buying.
2. Pay attention to details.
3. Don't take the drunk's "smack talk" personally. Ever.

I really didn't care for the job. Craptastic pay and dealing with the droonks got old fairly quick.

It's not nearly the "Roadhouse" glamor everyone seems to think it is...and when (and eventually they will) the regulars find out that you "know something" the proverbial fit will hit the shan. Develop a high tolerance for Bruce Lee and Karate Kid noises,stances,quotes,etc.. and you'll be just fine.

Yes, you HAVE been there...We (bouncers) we allowed a drink at midnight..The boss realized that it was hell being one of few sober persons in a club full of partiers..The drink helped to take the edge off the guys and it cut down on a lot of arguments...We were lucky..I later in life met guys who after one drink would take EVERYTHING personally and fight at the drop of a hat...

OP
T

TjThunder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is great!!! Everyone's imput has been very helpful. I also love hearing everybody's experiences and stories. We should open up a thread recalling old "war stories", or maybe there already is one. Thanks everyone!!

Latest Discussions