Iron Circle Martial Arts

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
I didnt know were to ask this so I guess i should just ask this here. Has anyone trained with Iron Circle Martial Arts? They say they teach Jeet Kune Do as well as AikiJujitsu. Both arts are very hard to train in authentically.

http://www.ironcirclema.com/

If anyone has trained with them what did you think of them?

They are located in Newbury Park, California

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not in that area, so no, I haven't trained with them.

Is this a school that you're interested in? If so, have you gone to check them out? If so, what were your findings?

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not in that area, so no, I haven't trained with them.

Is this a school that you're interested in? If so, have you gone to check them out? If so, what were your findings?

Im not in L.A. yet im interested in it cause its near L.A. and because they supposidly teach Aikijujitsu. I dont know much about the art of Aikijujitsu except that it Aikido has its roots in it. Aikido is a much more passive art while Aikijujitsu is much more of a war art. The school also claims to teach JKD. But JKD is basically run by Dan Inosanto so it may be JKD to them but it might not be JKD to Dan Inosanto so it may not be real JKD. Id have to study more on were these guys trained but i dont know much about the trainers. Thats why im asking around as to who these guys are. I found like ONE review. The good thing about L.A. is that there is alot of places that do teach authentic JKD. like i said Dan Inosanto does teach JKD and he does live there and alot of his students live there also. But there are so few places that teach or even claim to teach Aikijujitsu

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They don't list the source of their aikijutsu which would make me wary about training with them.

I doubt they are recognized by any of the Daito-ryu Aikijutsu groups from Japan, whether it be Kondo Sensei's group or any competing other. Daito-ryu lineage wars are kind of crazy. Most who have a legitimate link to one of the main groups are more than happy to proclaim to the heavens which faction they belong to.

This may or may not be a problem for you. They could still teach very good technique even if the source of the material might be ultimately from aikido or another gendai form of jujutsu instead.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Im not in L.A. yet im interested in it cause its near L.A. and because they supposidly teach Aikijujitsu. I dont know much about the art of Aikijujitsu except that it Aikido has its roots in it. Aikido is a much more passive art while Aikijujitsu is much more of a war art. The school also claims to teach JKD. But JKD is basically run by Dan Inosanto so it may be JKD to them but it might not be JKD to Dan Inosanto so it may not be real JKD. Id have to study more on were these guys trained but i dont know much about the trainers. Thats why im asking around as to who these guys are. I found like ONE review. The good thing about L.A. is that there is alot of places that do teach authentic JKD. like i said Dan Inosanto does teach JKD and he does live there and alot of his students live there also. But there are so few places that teach or even claim to teach Aikijujitsu

I wouldn't say that JKD is run by Dan Inosanto. I doubt he'd say that either.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

They clearly state where thir JKDtraining and certification comes from. The aiki-jujitsu not so much.

If you're not near LA, what difference does it make what they teach?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry, didn't mean to neglect this reply. Others have already commented, so I'm not sure how much more I can add, other than whats already been said. But anyways...

1) If you're not in LA yet, are you planning to be in the future? If not, and you're not inquiring for someone else, then IMHO, I wouldn't worry what someone is doing at a school that you're not going to train at.

2) Dan Inosanto is but 1 person in the JKD world. AFAIK, Dan isn't the heir to the JKD throne. No disrespect intended towards him, just sayin'...

3) As for the AikiJJ stuff....it may be possible to do some research online to see what the lineage is, but other than that.....

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to neglect this reply. Others have already commented, so I'm not sure how much more I can add, other than whats already been said. But anyways...

1) If you're not in LA yet, are you planning to be in the future? If not, and you're not inquiring for someone else, then IMHO, I wouldn't worry what someone is doing at a school that you're not going to train at.

2) Dan Inosanto is but 1 person in the JKD world. AFAIK, Dan isn't the heir to the JKD throne. No disrespect intended towards him, just sayin'...

3) As for the AikiJJ stuff....it may be possible to do some research online to see what the lineage is, but other than that.....

Let me modify what i mean by JKD and Dan Inosanto His senior in JKD put him in charge of JKD in America or at least L.A. that i know of.

As for were these guys teach Im going near L.A. im not interested in anyone elses teachings because im not going to try to learn with anyone else.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me modify what i mean by JKD and Dan Inosanto His senior in JKD put him in charge of JKD in America or at least L.A. that i know of.

Ok, lemme see if I'm understanding this right. Upon reading this, it sounds to me that anyone who teaches JKD, be it in the LA area or anywhere else in the USA, answers to Dan Inosanto?

I dont do JKD, so I'd be interested in hearing from any JKD members here. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

As for were these guys teach Im going near L.A. im not interested in anyone elses teachings because im not going to try to learn with anyone else.

Are you giving up on the MAs? Or are you just content with training what you already know?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You have mentioned Dan Inosanto's senior in JKD putting him in charge of JKD several times. Are you referring to Bruce Lee or someone else?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont know much about the art of Aikijujitsu except that it Aikido has its roots in it. Aikido is a much more passive art while Aikijujitsu is much more of a war art
Not sure that I'd say that it is a 'war art.' The art that Aikido and Hapkido have roots in is Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, which is not an ancient art, being founded at the turn of the last century, which was well into the Meiji and well past the time of samurai using jujutsu in war. From what I have seen of videos, it certainly is a practical art and the mindset is certainly different than that of Aikido.

A note regarding my comment about hapkido's roots in DRAJ, those roots are unsubstantiated, with their only real support being that HKD founder Choi Yong Sul claiming to have learned it.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Latest Discussions