Ip Man 1 - Donnie Yen - Question

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it is actually the same movie with 3 different sound tracks and I am not disputing the translation differences... but since I do not understand Cantonese for me to watch it in Cantonese would not make much sense

I don't quite get what you mean. I'd rather watch a movie in the original language with subtitles than a poorly dubbed version. If the Mandarin version is so poor, wouldn't it be preferable to watch it in the original Cantonese, subtitled in Chinese characters or even English, for that matter?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All 3 ip man movies can be viewed on youtube in their entirety.

I couldn't find the whole Ip Man 2 movie ... do you have them bookmarked?? Could you link???

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't quite get what you mean. I'd rather watch a movie in the original language with subtitles than a poorly dubbed version. If the Mandarin version is so poor, wouldn't it be preferable to watch it in the original Cantonese, subtitled in Chinese characters or even English, for that matter?

Before we get into the silliness of Mandarin vs Cantonese did anyone happen to notice the :D after my post [see the following quote]

(in Mandarin of course :D)

I was not bragging or making a statement as to one language being superior to the other I was being a bit silly which I thought would be understood by the :D that I included. And to be entirely honest the thread was not about Cantonese or Mandarin versions being better it was about the historical accuracy of the film

Now

I don't know how to tell you this but I am not going to learn Cantonese just to watch a movie :D

Speaking the original Cantonese or Speaking Mandarin, the English subtitles are the same. I have watched both and I do not think the Mandarin is all that bad. I do however think the Version dubbed into English is horrible.

I did attempt to learn Cantonese several years ago while at the same time learning Mandarin and when I was all done the only person that had a clue as to what I was saying was a friend of mine who was from Guangzhou who spoke Cantonese, Mandarin and English.

And frankly I am getting a strange feeling that this thread is about to go down an incredibly silly path

Anyway you look at it, all three language versions are the exact same movie

Last edited:

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
i just watched these 2 movies...and thanks to them i am currently being taught the basics and principles/theories of WC....it looked amazing (i know its a movie but its still WC) and after going over the basic strikes, elbow placement, stance work and kicks this past weekend, WC is something i am going to follow for a very long time :D

as for the historical accuracy, i have no idea..lol

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Due to copywrite issues the movies have been taken down from youtube.

Do a search for. Watch ip man online free and you will find many sites that have the movies.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah sure, I have seen all 3 but I choose to buy and support.

Latest Discussions