Ip Chun certified instructors

strike101

White Belt
Reaction score
This might have been covered already but does anyone know why there are so few ip chun certified instructors? I know guys like Sam Kwok and James Sinclair trained under Ip Chun directly but aren't certified. I doubt it's to do with skill level is there a lot of politics involved with these types of things? I've heard that both have at one point been given certification from ip chun but subsequently lost it for one reason or another.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This might have been covered already but does anyone know why there are so few ip chun certified instructors? I know guys like Sam Kwok and James Sinclair trained under Ip Chun directly but aren't certified. I doubt it's to do with skill level is there a lot of politics involved with these types of things? I've heard that both have at one point been given certification from ip chun but subsequently lost it for one reason or another.

I have no idea. I never paid much attention to such things, but based on my experience with other "big name" Chinese sifus I'd guess that it's all about politics and money. It probably isn't a matter of much concern to other branches of the WC community where Yip Chun is considered a relatively minor figure, but here in the West the Yip family name translates into $$$. Kinda like the Shaolin brand. So there's the modern hangup with "certificates". To my knowledge, GM Yip man never bothered with such things.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Does it matter?

I know a guy that is a listed as a disciple of Ip Ching who is very good. I know a guy who was told by Jack Ling (student of Leung Sheung) that he can teach, no cert no mention of disciple, and he's better

OP
S

strike101

White Belt
Reaction score
Does it matter?

I know a guy that is a listed as a disciple of Ip Ching who is very good. I know a guy who was told by Jack Ling (student of Leung Sheung) that he can teach, no cert no mention of disciple, and he's better

did I say it matters?
Just thought someone might have an insight into how it all works

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Certificates aren't worth the paper they are written on. Did Ip Man have a certificate?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Certificates aren't worth the paper they are written on. Did Ip Man have a certificate?

Good point, so from now on I'm going to request that any future certificates I receive are printed on $100 bills. That way I can always be sure my certificate has real value. ...Or not the way the economy is going.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think the OP meant these people had an actual piece of paper that shows they are Yip Chun certified; I think he was just wondering why very few people have been given Yip Chun's permission to teach their own students.

Personally, I wasn't aware of anything like that. I know who my Sifu is associated with, but that's it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't think the OP meant these people had an actual piece of paper that shows they are Yip Chun certified; I think he was just wondering why very few people have been given Yip Chun's permission to teach their own students.

Personally, I wasn't aware of anything like that. I know who my Sifu is associated with, but that's it.

Good point, I don't know a whole lot of "Certified" instructors in any traditional Chinese martial art, unless it is mostly a business venture and mostly about money to them (see the Yang Taiji family)

Latest Discussions