Intimidating your opponent

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a tournament next month and we're focusing on sparring now. Sparring is very physical and at the same time, it's mental too. What do you do to intimidate your opponent? I've seen my opponent stare me down before the match begins. That doesn't work for me, infact, I laugh at that because they have no idea how silly they look. I like to kihap loud with my kicks and punches, especially if I know they're going to be a solid hit. I'm not sure how intimidating that is, but it helps make the corner judges "see" it. Any suggestions would be wonderful and helpful!

Thanks!!
Connie :ultracool

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
A loud kihap might intimidate, but it could also prevent the judges from hearing a good hit if they don't see the contact.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you're more interested in how you're perceived than how you perform. Personally as a judge I ignore kihaps. They usually are a smoke screen for "nearly there" techniques.

The best way to "intimidate" your opponent is to hit first, hit hard, hit clean, hit continuously. If it isn't a continuous sparring format, the judge will stop you. Make sure they have to stop you. I guarantee your opponent will come back to the line already thinking how they are going to avoid the next barrage. When your opponent has to think avoidance you've added a step to their process the may not have been thinking about before. Don't try to game a match. Let your skills speak for themselves. That's fosters true intimidation (and respect, BTW).

If your current skills don't allow for the above scenario, begin training with that in mind.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a tournament next month and we're focusing on sparring now. Sparring is very physical and at the same time, it's mental too. What do you do to intimidate your opponent? I've seen my opponent stare me down before the match begins. That doesn't work for me, infact, I laugh at that because they have no idea how silly they look. I like to kihap loud with my kicks and punches, especially if I know they're going to be a solid hit. I'm not sure how intimidating that is, but it helps make the corner judges "see" it. Any suggestions would be wonderful and helpful!

Thanks!!
I lack the ability to look intimdating; so, I don't even try "The Stare Down". I do enjoy, however, watching my opponents become unsure of themselves during the course of the sparring match or altercation. Not that I have a choice in the matter, but is it really a good idea to fight a spooked opponent. I would rather let them be over confident until the last second.
Sean

OP
L

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you're more interested in how you're perceived than how you perform.

That's not true, I'm more concerened about my performance. Everyone tries to intimidate their opponent, that's all I was asking for.

Don't try to game a match. Let your skills speak for themselves. That's fosters true intimidation (and respect, BTW).

True, well said!

If your current skills don't allow for the above scenario, begin training with that in mind.

They do and I'll try that next time I spar in class.

Connie

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well whatever you do, if you're in a "stare-down" don't kiss the guy. http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29705&highlight=kiss+staredown+knock unfortunately the video is removed due to copyright infringements

Here's an idea for intimidation... look at the guy straight in the eye... give a quick wink and a slow sly smile and start singing the "Lumberjack Song" from Monty Python with all the enthusiasm of the original performers.

At least they'll have the word: "Psycho" on the back of their minds. :uhyeah:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with psychological tactics is that they don't work consistently. The best tactic is to project an air of confidence; your first kihap should be loud and confident, but kihaping with every technique doesn't help, it just reduces the effectiveness of kihaping - which should startle your opponent, not announce your every technique.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I generally am meek as a lamb and soft spoken until I get in the ring.

Then I give a lion's kihap as the center ref calls for fighting stance ;)

I disagree with the above comments regarding kihaps on points.

I kihap on my strikes because a) that's how I train

and

b) I think it shows the judges that my hits are deliberate and not just lucky shots or "spraying and praying" shots at my opponent.

I DON'T kihap on fakes and feints; only when I am landing a technique.

I'm not throwing any smoke. I don't try to influence judges. That's just how I fight.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just grin, the whole time I'm fighting. But then, it's not meant to intimidate either, it's just because I'm having a blast.

I find it very rare that I even think to intimidate, no real need to do so. Just walk out and beat down :).

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's an idea for intimidation... look at the guy straight in the eye... give a quick wink and a slow sly smile and start singing the "Lumberjack Song" from Monty Python with all the enthusiasm of the original performers.

Now that thar is funny:)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the ring, I've rarely gotten much play out of intimidating my opponent. They don't intimidate me, and when they try they show me that they think they're weak.

I just step on, bow in and fight. Let your skills do the intimidating for you.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is some psychology at play though. I don't go for intimidation, but I do go for presence. The last tourney I did, one of the black belts judges noticed this and complimented me on control of the ring (directing people to line up, etc) before the fighting even began. I always get to the side I want to fight from first and I try to be the initiator. I won my first fight in three exchanges that day. :) I miss training. :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just grin, the whole time I'm fighting. But then, it's not meant to intimidate either, it's just because I'm having a blast.

I find it very rare that I even think to intimidate, no real need to do so. Just walk out and beat down :).

Love fighters like this! I've seen hundreds of live MMA fights now and rarely does trying to intimidate work, in fact not many try. Stare downs are done for the photos only. A lot of fighters do grin as they are enjoying themselves too! We get loads of controlled aggression but very little overt aggression. Most fighters get into the ring/cage concentrating on getting in, getting their gum shield in etc taking little notice of their opponent.

However I know a few fighters who love an entrance, not an intimdating one though lol. Paul 'Hands of Stone' Jenkins came into the cage at Cage Rage dressed in an emu suit, you know the one where his legs are in the suit and he has pretend legs dangling from the birds back? If you fancy copying here's the photos lol

http://www.sherdog.com/news/Picture_gallery.asp?f_id=3567@@Paul+Jenkins

If you look at his record as well his latest victory was on our show at the beginning of the month. he threw the contents of his water bottle over me between rounds! Despite his antics he is a very good fighter and as his nickname implies a very hard hitter.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you do to intimidate your opponent? I've seen my opponent stare me down before the match begins. That doesn't work for me, infact, I laugh at that because they have no idea how silly they look.

First of all, good luck with your tournament preparation!

I don't try to intimidate opponents...if they can be intimidated, they aren't much of a match.

Miles

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my view, being good and sharp and tough speaks for itself.
In my experience, those that have tried to act intimidating are usually not the ones I have had to worry the most about! :)
It's the ones that are calm and collected that are at home in the ring that tend to end up being the toughest.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that can work is immediate and fierce attack as the judges start the match, preferably before your opponent has gotten past the thoughts of strategy, etc. going through his head. You can't do this every time; it'll only have a surprise! effect once during the match/tournament. If you score that first point effectively, your opponent will be immediately on the defensive for the rest of the match.

I've also seen (but don't endorse this!) people throw a hard or illegal (for the tournament rules) technique that is designed to hurt their opponent. They take a warning or penalty, but the opponent is then worrying about getting hurt worse for the rest of the match. Occasionally this one backfires and can cause big problems for the person trying it (judges catching on, expulsion from tournament, getting thrashed by someone better than you when before he'd just have won, etc.)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you're more interested in how you're perceived than how you perform. Personally as a judge I ignore kihaps. They usually are a smoke screen for "nearly there" techniques.

The best way to "intimidate" your opponent is to hit first, hit hard, hit clean, hit continuously. If it isn't a continuous sparring format, the judge will stop you. Make sure they have to stop you. I guarantee your opponent will come back to the line already thinking how they are going to avoid the next barrage. When your opponent has to think avoidance you've added a step to their process the may not have been thinking about before. Don't try to game a match. Let your skills speak for themselves. That's fosters true intimidation (and respect, BTW).

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Great advice. After you start winning matches and going to several tourneys you will start to build a rep as a good fighter and that will make them be intimidated. For the first couple of years in my tourney career I made it a point of running my opponent out of the ring. Sometimes they scored and sometimes I scored. After doing this a while, many fighters did not want to fight. The reason was that they new I was coming to pound them no matter who won. I made sure they remembered me after the tourney was done. Another thing is to be clean and DON'T cheat. Nothing will ruin your rep like being a dirty fighter. Be clean when you are kicking the crap out of them.
icon14.gif

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hehe, there is a lot of good advice and strategies that I've forgotten about beings that it's been YEARS since my last actual tourny/ slash sparring match. I was in elementary school doing Wado Ryu, I was white belt that beat the crap out of a black belt from a well known black belt factory back home in TN, Hehehe. Here in Korea, I'm trying to get my instructor to take me to some tournies, I want to atleast compete in a forms division and watch some sparring matches between the Koreans before I jump in. We spar in class, but it's all about self control as we do not use any type of gear. I'll come in fast and hard, but do not land and when I do land, it's just lil tap.
Good Luck with your preporation for your tourny!!

Latest Discussions