Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve
AP
Posted: 2007-07-16 07:22:19
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/internet-obsessed-couple-let-kids-starve/20070715195409990001
Filed Under: Crime News
RENO, Nev. (July 15) - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.
The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.
Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.
Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.
"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.
Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.
Her brother had to be treated for starvation and a genital infection. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking, investigators said.

The Straws have been given public defenders. Jeremy Bosler, head of the county public defender's office, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Saturday.
Michael Straw is an unemployed cashier, and his wife worked for a temporary staffing agency doing warehouse work, according to court records. He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.
While child abuse because of drug addiction is common, abuse rooted in video game addiction is rare, Viloria said.
Ping lead me to this story, felt that it should be posted here and it is relevant to threads related to parental responsibility.
These two should not be allowed to have any more children since they failed to care for the two they were allowed to have. This is totally inexcusable and totally negligent. I don't think 12 years is enough. 12 years and sterilization is.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hell isn't hot enough for these types. Can't post the rest of my thoughts due to the profanity and vulgarity rules.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must concede that our system of justice and Bill of Rights just aren't adequate for handling certain degenerates.... Here, only "cruel and unusual punishments" would render what these two deserve.... Let's give them to the Saudis...

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is evil, truely evil.

If you don't want to care for your children, then don't have any. Give them up for adoption at birth. We know there are plenty of people willing to take them at birth.

You take care of your kids. That is just something that is programmed into our genes. How anyone could go against that drive is beyond my ability to comprehend.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These people I cannot say what should be done but we all know what me and Bydand wants done.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are people in the world who are unable to have kids. Here you have two people who have 2 kids. As Mr. E said...if you can't or dont want to care for them, dont have any or give them up for adoption.

I'm sure that despite their internet game playing, they still found time to feed themselves.

These people need to be locked up for a long, long, long time. Hopefully they'll get theirs in prison. People who neglect kids are not too well liked in the prison system.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly... I think that they should be fed and cared for in the same fashion that they fed their children; there's something to be said for letting the punishment fit the crime.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly... I think that they should be fed and cared for in the same fashion that they fed their children; there's something to be said for letting the punishment fit the crime.

Amen to that!

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

yeah okay... that and sterilization... they should not be allowed to breed again.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are lots of families willing to adopt a child whose parents are unable or unwilling to care for them (take it from me ;) ).

As for these two. Anybody to would harm a child, or through inaction allow a child to be harmed, is no longer human in my book. Therefore no longer entitled to the rights and protections enjoyed by humans. They should make bars of soap and lamp shades out of the lot of 'em.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It just struck me that maybe these two would enjoy their 12 years in prison.

Someone with more knowledge of the American system of justice can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if it is not a violent crime you get sent to a minimum security system. And I think that you are allowed to buy your own TVs and entertainment systems and put them in your cell. Again, if I am wrong, please let me know.

But if that is the case, then these two would probably be in heaven for the next 12 years. For normal folks, not being able to meet people and not being able to go anywhere is a punishment. But I don't think that these two would be disturbed by having to stay in their cell if they can just keep playing their computer games. They do not have to work, and they get their food, lodging and medical bills paid for by the taxpayer.

I hope I am wrong. Please tell me if I am. Because that would be almost another crime IMO.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
It just struck me that maybe these two would enjoy their 12 years in prison.

Someone with more knowledge of the American system of justice can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if it is not a violent crime you get sent to a minimum security system. And I think that you are allowed to buy your own TVs and entertainment systems and put them in your cell. Again, if I am wrong, please let me know.

But if that is the case, then these two would probably be in heaven for the next 12 years. For normal folks, not being able to meet people and not being able to go anywhere is a punishment. But I don't think that these two would be disturbed by having to stay in their cell if they can just keep playing their computer games. They do not have to work, and they get their food, lodging and medical bills paid for by the taxpayer.

I hope I am wrong. Please tell me if I am. Because that would be almost another crime IMO.

hmmm... too bad there are no Dojos in the slam