Internal Arts Forum

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've set this area up so cover the broad realm of what are called the 'Internal Arts'. What are they, how do they work, what makes an art 'internal'?

Some arts mentioned as being internal are Tai-Chi (Taijiquan), Yiquan, Qigong, Bagua, Xingyi. There are many many more.

:asian:

C

chufeng

For those arts where the extension of internal energy is the primary means of executing technique. Where "joining" with the opponent is the primary strategy.

chufeng

L

LilleTiger

Hi guys!

What a great idea! :) Keep up the good work!

/karma!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are we talking nerve strikes, cavity strikes, healing or any of the above? I'm just interested in what will be covered here.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

In all honesty, the entire internal/external categorization is so poorly misunderstood that its original meaning has been all but lost. There really is no such thing as an internal or external style - that is one of the whole ideas behind the taiji diagram, that within one there is the genesis of the other and that neither one was a completely separate entity.

This is going to be an issue in determining how to accurately describe this forum... Personally, something very generic should be used IMHO. I know that no forum is exculsive to any group of people - anybody can chime in anywhere - but given the controversial nature of internal arts, coming up with a description as to what really constitutes "internal" is going to be a pain...

Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji, Liu He Ba Fa, Yiquan... all recognized internal martial arts of Chinese origin. From my (admittedly limited) understanding of what "internal" really refers to on a physical level, I think it would be safe to accept Aikido and other arts as "internal" as well. Even arts that are recognized as hallmarks of "external" arts could be included, since at a certain point "external" will become "internal..."

Anyway.

Generic description: "For the discussion of arts whose methods, theories and techniques relate primarily to the use of internal energy, physics and kinesiology to defeat an opponent. The principles of many internal arts are echoed in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, and other healing modalities."

Or something along those lines...

Gambarimasu.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about:
There is more to the arts than muscle power. This is the place to disscuss those arts where the energy comes from within.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Please, everyone, suggest a description for this forum!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

For the discussion of arts whose methods, theories and techniques relate primarily to the use of internal energy, physics and kinesiology to defeat an opponent. The principles of many internal arts are echoed in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, and other healing modalities.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
For the discussion of arts whose methods, theories and techniques relate primarily to the use of internal energy, physics and kinesiology to defeat an opponent.

I do agree with Yiliquan, but want to add that arts that not nessarly go into the stuff of defeating an oppenent. But also internal / personal growth.

Even though I don't agree with them, some styles argument that they are only done for personal benifit (grow of chi/ki or something simulare).

/Yari

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(See the previous discussion here.)

For the discussion of arts whose methods, theories and techniques primarily use internal energy and waist-centered body mechanics to defeat an opponent and improve the practitioner's health. The principles of many internal arts are drawn from Traditional Chinese Medicine and other healing modalities.

The phrase "waist-centered body mechanics" sounds awkward, though I know what I mean (!).

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made the change to simply "body mechanics" as suggested. Please feel free to comment on the description!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Latest Discussions