Interesting Sparring Match the Other Day...

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
So i dont get to spar very often, due to my work schedule and only training with my teacher once a week BUT last night i was able to meet up with my teacher on his Wednesday night class and not only get a lesson but spar.

Last night there was someone new there i never met before, a close friend of my teachers for many years who just moved back to the area. Really nice guy, in his early 30's and after talking with him he wanted to see what i knew. After about an hour of sparing and me getting whomped into the floor i asked him waht style of martial arts he was practicing. It def wasnt Mantis, the movements were more long fist looking but "jumpy"? i cant really describe it any other wy but after speaking to him more he said he has been training in Mizongyi. My teacher has trained in this style too and i found out its the same style that was used in the movie Fearless and that Huo Yuanjia studied! it was exciting to learn....

i thought i would bring it up because i never saw that style before besides the movie and it is a great style from waht i have seena nd exeprienced, anybody have any thoughts on it or info? i would be curious to read more about it :)

OP
I

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
The links you provided Xue have a good amount of info on them. Im curious now to see if anybody on here has trained in the style or had any first hand experience. Not gonna lie....i kind of liked it :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had very little experience with it, but my teacher, who learned it from Yep Yeh Ting, taught us part of an early form (there are a few, apparently) at one point, but then I had to leave the class due to work commitments. On one hand, I enjoyed the form, since with the right looseness and "snap", it was very invigorating. On the other hand, at the age of 51, I'm not so sure I could do it justice due to the low crouches and such. Also, I couldn't keep up with the choreography at the same pace as the other students, who have more familiarity with learning forms.

But as for the form itself, it felt good. Hope that helps.

Latest Discussions