Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morgan said:
During a dinner discussion last night several friends and I decided that the following pairings might be interesting:

1. GM Jeff Delaney & Master Rich Parsons
2. Professor Lisa McManus & Guro Sal Tadoro
3. Guro Dawad Muhammad & PG Remy Presas, Jr.
4. Guro Bob Hubbard & Palusut

Morgan

Rich Parsons said:
I would work with Mr. Delaney or any on this list for that matter.

Thank you Morgan for the mention :)
Rich,
I'm always willing to assist if needed. :)

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Even though I am not a super fan of multiple instructor
seminars on occasion they can be good. How about some
"old school" Flint style Modern Arnis with Jeff Fields,
Jim Powers and Jeff Arnold. That might be interesting!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Hello Brian,

Very nice proposal, Fields, Powers and Arnold. Three names from my early days in Modern Arnis and outside of some local environs, names not often mentioned when the "big pictures" are being drawn.

These guys were there in the early days of Modern Arnis in the USA with Jeff Arnold appearing in Professor's Modern Arnis book, published by Ohara Publications in 1983.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I know that Mr. Powers is still active in Modern Arnis--are the other two?

Jeff Fields is semi retired and only teaches privately, one or two people.

Jeff Arnold, teachs from his American Modern Arnis, and does not teach per se anymore, but does teach his senior student, Michael Bach (* 3rd Degree last I knew could be more as it has been a couple fo years *) who runs a small school in the Flushing Area I believe.

James Power: Flint Filipino Martial Arts Club, the one I am associated with, and respect as a very knowledgable senior in the arts to me.

:asian:

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Jeff Fields is semi retired and only teaches privately, one or two people.

Jeff Arnold, teachs from his American Modern Arnis, and does not teach per se anymore, but does teach his senior student, Michael Bach (* 3rd Degree last I knew could be more as it has been a couple fo years *) who runs a small school in the Flushing Area I believe.

James Power: Flint Filipino Martial Arts Club, the one I am associated with, and respect as a very knowledgable senior in the arts to me.

Hi Rich,

Just a quick note. Jeff Arnold's organization is called American Arnis.
Tom Bolden's organization is the American Modern Arnis Associates.

We definately want to keep them propely identified.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hi Rich,

Just a quick note. Jeff Arnold's organization is called American Arnis.
Tom Bolden's organization is the American Modern Arnis Associates.

We definately want to keep them propely identified.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

I have seen both over the years, and could be adding in the Modern.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Mark,

How would you define "Old School"?

Best regards

Rich

It's kind of hard for me top describe here but it seems to me that there is a difference in the look or feel of different instructors in how they present Modern Arnis.

For instance having seen both GM Remy and his brother GM Ernesto, while they have similarities between their respective systems there is a difference in that GM Ernesto's seems more "classical". GM Remy's more "modern".

However I know that GM Remy was older than Ernesto and Remy's Modern Arnis is really the "older" system. In seeing some of Remy's older students (Tito Willy, Bambit, Max Pallen, Dieter, Dr. Remy Jr.) to me they have the same/similar look or feel about them. Dieter started with GM Ernesto way back in the late 70's early 80's before he switched over to Remy's system in the mid 90's, and I throw him in here because I think he also has the "old school" look about him (at times). So it is my belief that the practictioners from the older schools from the 70's (in the Philippines) maybe earlly 80's are from the old school.

Much of the major players today in MA have a more "modern" look or feel to them. Jeff D., the MOTTS, SM Dan Anderson, even Datu Worden, etc. etc. all have the same roots so to speak of GM Remy once he was here in the states for a few years. I think the longer that he (GM Remy) was here the bigger the difference in the way the instructors or practitionars look.

This is just my opinion and my theory on the way different instructors look and what they teach. I have tried to see some of the older practionars of MA to see if this is true and to expand my experience in the art. And this is what I meant by old school.

With respect
Mark

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Dieter started with GM Ernesto way back in the late 70's early 80's before he switched over to Remy's system in the mid 90's, and I throw him in here because I think he also has the "old school" look about him (at times).
Mark

Hi Mark

I like the "at times".
For me that implies, there is both. That's good.

BTW, haveing had a lot of contact with the older MA "students" of former times or rather hight ranked masters of today (C. Vasquez, 9th Dan, R. Dantes, 8th Dan, R. Dagoog, 8th Dan, R. Tongson, 8th Dan), they all told me, that the Modern Arnis of Ernesto of the early 80ies was much closer to ther Modern Arnis of Remy in the 70ies than Remys Arnis of the late 90ies was to Remys Arnis of the 70ies.
No jugement in that statement. Just the fact.

Greetings and hopefully till June again in Brevard

Dieter

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Rich

It's kind of hard for me top describe here but it seems to me that there is a difference in the look or feel of different instructors in how they present Modern Arnis.

For instance having seen both GM Remy and his brother GM Ernesto, while they have similarities between their respective systems there is a difference in that GM Ernesto's seems more "classical". GM Remy's more "modern".

However I know that GM Remy was older than Ernesto and Remy's Modern Arnis is really the "older" system. In seeing some of Remy's older students (Tito Willy, Bambit, Max Pallen, Dieter, Dr. Remy Jr.) to me they have the same/similar look or feel about them. Dieter started with GM Ernesto way back in the late 70's early 80's before he switched over to Remy's system in the mid 90's, and I throw him in here because I think he also has the "old school" look about him (at times). So it is my belief that the practictioners from the older schools from the 70's (in the Philippines) maybe earlly 80's are from the old school.

Much of the major players today in MA have a more "modern" look or feel to them. Jeff D., the MOTTS, SM Dan Anderson, even Datu Worden, etc. etc. all have the same roots so to speak of GM Remy once he was here in the states for a few years. I think the longer that he (GM Remy) was here the bigger the difference in the way the instructors or practitionars look.

This is just my opinion and my theory on the way different instructors look and what they teach. I have tried to see some of the older practionars of MA to see if this is true and to expand my experience in the art. And this is what I meant by old school.

With respect
Mark

Thanks Mark,

I was just looking for your opinion. :D

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Here the theme was Modern Arnis but it was more outside of the box Modern Arnis. And in that case it was distracting.
I totally understand what Mark meant by desiring a focused Modern Arnis event as I host Dr. Remy Presas at least once a year.

In my opinion, GM Remy Presas had vertical and horizontal goals regarding the propagation of Modern Arnis. One was for all of his students to continue improving their skills in Modern Arnis (vertical growth). The second goal was to bring more students into the art (horizontal growth).

An outside of the box Modern Arnis event would be excellent at bringing in more people from other arts (horizontal growth) plus it would allow the more experienced Arnisadors to add depth to their skills by blending techniques/concepts from other arts (vertical growth).

For example, Dr. Barber and others who have experience in Kenpo-based arts would probably bring in Kenpo folks who otherwise may not try Modern Arnis. These Kenpo folks often decide to become students of Modern Arnis as a result of attending the event (horizontal growth).

Regards,

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dieter said:
Hi Mark

I like the "at times".
For me that implies, there is both. That's good.

BTW, haveing had a lot of contact with the older MA "students" of former times or rather hight ranked masters of today (C. Vasquez, 9th Dan, R. Dantes, 8th Dan, R. Dagoog, 8th Dan, R. Tongson, 8th Dan), they all told me, that the Modern Arnis of Ernesto of the early 80ies was much closer to ther Modern Arnis of Remy in the 70ies than Remys Arnis of the late 90ies was to Remys Arnis of the 70ies.
No jugement in that statement. Just the fact.

Greetings and hopefully till June again in Brevard

Dieter

Yeah Dieter I hope you can make it back here for the Brevard seminar. I'll be there if they can put together the same quality of instructors that they did last (I mean this) year.

IMHO Dieter you do have both in your style, and it is good. Thanks for your insight, on Remy's art of the 70's and the 90's.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
I totally understand what Mark meant by desiring a focused Modern Arnis event as I host Dr. Remy Presas at least once a year.

In my opinion, GM Remy Presas had vertical and horizontal goals regarding the propagation of Modern Arnis. One was for all of his students to continue improving their skills in Modern Arnis (vertical growth). The second goal was to bring more students into the art (horizontal growth).

An outside of the box Modern Arnis event would be excellent at bringing in more people from other arts (horizontal growth) plus it would allow the more experienced Arnisadors to add depth to their skills by blending techniques/concepts from other arts (vertical growth).

For example, Dr. Barber and others who have experience in Kenpo-based arts would probably bring in Kenpo folks who otherwise may not try Modern Arnis. These Kenpo folks often decide to become students of Modern Arnis as a result of attending the event (horizontal growth).

Regards,

Andrew

Cool example here hadn't really thought of it this way, but you are right.

Mark

Latest Discussions