Interesting Escrimador fight using stick and shield

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it common to take escrima techniques and combine them with a buckler? Is this even FMA?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an italian escrima group. www.novascrima.com Their techniques
are european in nature and to the best of my knowledge they
have nothing to do with Filipino martial arts. After having said
that, it was a great video clip and I am very thankful that you
shared it with us. European style fencing is very good. I have
read about these guys in a couple of European style martial arts
magazines. I believe they also have videos out there for sell as
well. Thanks for the clip.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, (e)scrima is a Romance language term for (Western) fencing. In French I think it's escrime, in Italian I think it's scrima, etc. There's some discussion in the WMA forum, I think (folded in from the defunct Fencing forum).

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Is it common to take escrima techniques and combine them with a buckler? Is this even FMA?

It's certainly not common, but, as the saying goes, "There are only so many ways to swing a stick..."

It should be noted that e.g., rapier and buckler can be considered a variation of other two-weapon forms of defense including rapier and cloak, rapier and lantern, and rapier and dagger.

Buckler and stick in the manner depicted above would certainly lend itself well to FMA espada y daga technique insofar as the buckler is held (not attached to the arm) by the hand and is somewhat lighter than a shield. I made the point in FMAtalk that a recent depiction in the series "Rome" with shield and sword was roughly analogous to a Pekiti Tirsia espada y daga Contrada:

"The PTI Espada y Daga Level 1 Contrada #3 that I learned from Tuhon William McGrath assumes at one point that the opponent gives you a high thrust with the daga that you parry outside to inside and then down with the butt of your stick; when he throws a high horizontal with his stick you block with your daga and then smash down on his elbow with your stick.

In the Rome sequence described above Pulo smashes down on the opponents shield with the butt of his sword and therefore (because his opponent cannot hide behind his shield ) provokes his opponent to swing wide with his sword. Pulo parries the opponent's sword with his sheld and cuts down on the inside of his arm with his sword.

In essence they are the same technique."

Best,

Steve Lamade