Interesting article

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is probably a bit more complex than the article suggests. I agree with the first part as in; " A student automatically reacts and has very little control over that response."

Martial arts like Systema and Krav Maga capitalise on that very fact to build a defence that takes you straight to the third level. In fact, I believe it is this method of training that makes these arts effective in a short time, especially in the case of KM.

The next part deals with what is wrong with the arts built around karate and that includes TKD. "In this case, a student is trying to identify when that punch comes in, analyze it, and respond with the appropriate defense. This could be a block/counter punch, a parry, or an attempt to move out of the way and redirect. The student sees the complexity of the attack and is trying to deal with it the best way he knows how. If he is correct in identifying the attack and is quick enough to implement the correct defense, then he is successful. Otherwise, the defense is too slow and he is hit. All of this happens at a conscious level."

I have argued this in many posts. It is why I consider so much instruction, based on the basic training that was received post war in Okinawa and Japan, is flawed.

I would suggest that if martial arts are taught correctly the third stage, "after years of training the body, mind and spirit, reactions are now based on a “new” instinct and are usually much more efficient and effective reactions. This time, at the first hint of an attack, his body reacts without thinking. He has trained enough to know the correct response without thinking about it. He automatically reacts the right way. He is now back to reactions from the sub-conscious level but with an aspect of awareness blended in", is reached at a much earlier time.
:asian:

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is probably a bit more complex than the article suggests.

I would say so. Stage 3 is more of a transition period between stages 1 and 3 and all 3 stages present in varying degrees at most times.

The next part deals with what is wrong with the arts built around karate and that includes TKD. "

I have argued this in many posts. It is why I consider so much instruction, based on the basic training that was received post war in Okinawa and Japan, is flawed.

Some would say that trying to go from stage 1 to stage 3 without going through stage 2 is what is wrong with RBSD systems. Easy to learn (very good for self defence courses) but lack the skill, quality of technique and power of arts built around karate (including TKD) in the long run.

I would suggest that if martial arts are taught correctly the third stage, is reached at a much earlier time.

That would be true of any kind of martial art whether it be TMA, RBSD, MMA etc.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That would be true of any kind of martial art whether it be TMA, RBSD, MMA etc.
Here I must disagree. The way basic karate is normally taught is totally different to the Chinese arts, the Filipino arts, Systema, Krav Maga, MMA, Judo, etc. to my mind this is because all the other styles are taught as close in, hands on means of SD. Karate is mainly taught as a sport and in many schools ignores the close engagement. Sport based TKD would have to be the worst example of this. :asian:

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here I must disagree. The way basic karate is normally taught is totally different to the Chinese arts, the Filipino arts, Systema, Krav Maga, MMA, Judo, etc. to my mind this is because all the other styles are taught as close in, hands on means of SD. Karate is mainly taught as a sport and in many schools ignores the close engagement. Sport based TKD would have to be the worst example of this. :asian:

I actually meant self defence martial arts not sport martial arts so I agree with you there.

Latest Discussions