Insurance

Do you have Insurance for your club

• Yes

• No

• Looking

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

sparky

I see that there was another post on this issue before, but I was hoping to get some more input from the people on this forum about the need for insurance, the cost for a policy or possibly a rider clause on another policy - Is there an association for martial artists, schools or instructors that would provide a blanket policy?

I am required to carry insurance on my club and this year my provider will double my premiums.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

I have insurance and wouldn't think of opening without it.

There are a couple of places that offer insurance specifically for martial arts schools. Sport and Fitness is the one I'm currently with, although I'm thinking of changing.

I've never had a claim so I have no way of evaluating them beyond the price I pay.

WhiteBirch

OP
S

sparky

I am looking at changing to Sport and Fitness as they have offered me a better rate than the company I am with now - who are you looking at changing to.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
He got some good deal from some firm near T.O.!
I will try to get the info for you, I know that they are now trying to specialize in Martail arts, and have sent out flyers to other schools now!

over $200 000 in Liability, guess we need it!

OP
S

sparky

I am required to carry a $2 mil Liablity. I was/am with BSW&M in willowdale but they have changed carriers and after 5 year with out a claim they reduced my coverage and doubled my premiums
keep in touch - thanks

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by sparky

I am looking at changing to Sport and Fitness as they have offered me a better rate than the company I am with now - who are you looking at changing to.

I don't remember the name of the company but the phone number is 1-800-207-6603. According to my Sifu, they will save me over $400 per year. I haven't made the time to call them yet, though.

WhiteBirch

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by sparky
I am required to carry a $2 mil Liablity. I was/am with BSW&M in willowdale but they have changed carriers and after 5 year with out a claim they reduced my coverage and doubled my premiums
keep in touch - thanks

You want me to go down there and tell them that they better go back to the old way or someone is "gonna have a little accident?"
:shrug:

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
but here is the number anyway.

(416) 493-0050

ask for Owen Wiiliams

OP
S

sparky

I think BSW&M or BSM&W
Yep Owen Williams - thanks for the input Roland

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep us all updated man.
Thats what this forum is for, so we can all help each other out!

OP
S

sparky

In the US there is alot more to pick from the - USMA offers a pretty good deal

Here in Canada I have only found 2 options so far - BSM&W and Sport Fitness - the search continues..........

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Never heard about them before these posts.
Any info on them, phone number & stuff!

OP
G

GouRonin

Check out Black Belt Magazine's October 2002 issue. There is a write up regaring insurance on Page 58 with some leads. You might have some luck calling and asking them.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have heard they would like to help us out, but........
No can do I guess.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
some guy got his neck broken at a school martial arst club.

So, the insurance payout was $2 000 000,

so, now all the Insurance compaies here are giving all schools a hard time.
Sheeesh!

:(

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
But it must have been last year or even the year before, the pay out just went through.
$ 2 million dollars man.
Now companies that did have insruance for Martial arts schools, are starting to drop them all.
They also want a crap load of other information now. And I mean NOW.
Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I know when I applied for insurance for the school I owned, the questions were outrageous. They wanted to know if weapons were being taught, if there were any weapons in the school, do we spar, is there any physical contact, how strenuaous are the classes etc...

They also wanted to know about the facility, showers, how old the building is, number of exits, more information that they needed to know.

Unfortunately the insurance industry has instructor/school owners over a barrel. Back in the 80's there was a martial arts supply called East West Markets exchange and they offered insurance for only $10 per student per year. Unfortunately the insurance industry put an end to that pretty quickly.

OP
S

sparky

There is a company on the west coast, I believe will offer good rates - because of the time change they probably haven't heard about the $2 mil. UWO payout yet.
All Sport Insurnace

hurry

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
1) That belonging to an association, such as Judo Canada will lower your insurance.

2) That even if you have $2 million liability coverage, that $2 million is meant to be shared by everyone who has the same coverage. So when the UWO guy got it, there was no more left for anyone else if there had been another claim.

3) That there are now a lot of schools out there with no isurance at all, or at least no liability.

Really frightening stuff!

Latest Discussions