Instincts

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I would like to be more confident in my abilities and more effective at fighting. I have no desire to get into fights but I would like to have the knowledge of being able to defend myself to the best of my abilities. I don't think I am that interested in teaching, certainly not large groups of people but perhaps 2 or 3 people. My instructor sometimes makes me do some teaching which I don't really enjoy. I can see there is immense satisfaction in it when you see your students do well and attain knowledge and skills.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony said:
I think I would like to be more confident in my abilities and more effective at fighting. I have no desire to get into fights but I would like to have the knowledge of being able to defend myself to the best of my abilities. I don't think I am that interested in teaching, certainly not large groups of people but perhaps 2 or 3 people. My instructor sometimes makes me do some teaching which I don't really enjoy. I can see there is immense satisfaction in it when you see your students do well and attain knowledge and skills.
When you teach, you are also learning. Whether you enjoy it is another story. Some people just aren't teachers in spite of being good martial artists. There are guys in my school who are terrific but they really don't want to teach an entire class - like you, they enjoy helping a group of two or three people but don't want to be in the spotlight. It's not for everyone. Again, I would talk to my instructor and tell him these things. :asian: KT

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tony said:
I don't think I am that interested in teaching, certainly not large groups of people but perhaps 2 or 3 people. My instructor sometimes makes me do some teaching which I don't really enjoy. I can see there is immense satisfaction in it when you see your students do well and attain knowledge and skills.
Tony, how are you? I have a question, if you don't mind. The teaching you are referencing, which I have bolded in your quote here. What about it do you not enjoy?

Tony, how do you feel about your instructor? I get a vibe off you that maybe your instructor's just not doing it for you. Am I correct? I could be totally wrong here, and I mean no offense.

Tony, brother, if you've been doing Kung Fu for a couple of years, you have defense skills. There's just no question. So, you may not have all the skills in the world yet, but you'll get better with time. Just keep training, dude. Confidence comes from within, Tony. It comes from "knowing that you know". The good news is that you don't need to fight someone to prove it to yourself. Just think about what you "know that you know." Think about how many people don't know. You're cool, man. You can't have trained in Kung Fu for as long as you have and NOT come away with skills unless you're a total goof, and we all know you're not a total goof. So? Its inside you, Tony.

Keep you head up buddy.

Dan.

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Tony, how are you? I have a question, if you don't mind. The teaching you are referencing, which I have bolded in your quote here. What about it do you not enjoy?

Tony, how do you feel about your instructor? I get a vibe off you that maybe your instructor's just not doing it for you. Am I correct? I could be totally wrong here, and I mean no offense.

Tony, brother, if you've been doing Kung Fu for a couple of years, you have defense skills. There's just no question. So, you may not have all the skills in the world yet, but you'll get better with time. Just keep training, dude. Confidence comes from within, Tony. It comes from "knowing that you know". The good news is that you don't need to fight someone to prove it to yourself. Just think about what you "know that you know." Think about how many people don't know. You're cool, man. You can't have trained in Kung Fu for as long as you have and NOT come away with skills unless you're a total goof, and we all know you're not a total goof. So? Its inside you, Tony.

Keep you head up buddy.

Dan.

Hi Dan

Thanks for your kind words and understanding! You're right i have learnt a lot but I just don't feel confident teaching because my Instructor has mainly had me teaching the younger kids in my class, drilling them through a form and the problem is I just don't have it in me to be strict with them. Sometimes they just don't listen and when one asks to go to the toilet another and another ask until they all go. I have tried my best and I don't think I have done too badly but I guess I'm too nice to make them do press ups or sit ups if they don't do as they are told. I'm scared I'm going to make them cry and have to deal with angry parents. Now I really hate having to deal with difficult people and I think this is something I fear. Also I had a feeling when I was drilling them that it appeared as if I didn't know what I was doing, especially to one or two much older students (i.e one guy who was in his late 30s - early 40s) and you can imagine that such people are not going to take me seriously because I'm so young (27 years). I have no problem teaching one on one but I can't see myself becoming an instructor, besides I wouldn't want the added administrative stresses, hiring premises, taking money, accounts, advertising, dealing with insurance and licenses.
There was a thread on backyard studying and I would probably be one of these people who would teach a select closed class. Obviously after having achieved a greater level of mastery of my art and to becoming confident in using it. And I think the only way anyone could do this if they were considerable well of financially.
At the moment I can just about cope with taking the class warmups because my instructor is always walking around in the background. Its interesting as I have been thinking of new warm up exercises to use. Whenever I take the class for warmups I always work on stretching as I know other people of the same level as me will make us jog round!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well. Tony, it is a process. Just take it as it comes, my friend. There is a proper time for everything. Just keep it natural, and all will fall into place for you.

Take care, brother.

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again Dan thanks!

So what is it you study if you don't mind me asking and how long have your been training? I study Shaolin Long fist Kung Fu for which I have been training in for 6 years! How time flies!

Tony

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't feel confident teaching because my Instructor has mainly had me teaching the younger kids in my class, drilling them through a form and the problem is I just don't have it in me to be strict with them. Sometimes they just don't listen and when one asks to go to the toilet another and another ask until they all go. I have tried my best and I don't think I have done too badly but I guess I'm too nice to make them do press ups or sit ups if they don't do as they are told. I'm scared I'm going to make them cry and have to deal with angry parents.
Tony,
First of all, listen to Flatlander. He's usually on target with what he says.

Second of all, I quoted this part of your post for a reason. I teach kids - ages 4 through 12. The have an attention span of seconds - do you remember being a little boy and wanting to do everything all at once? IF YOU CAN TEACH KIDS, YOU CAN TEACH ANYONE. My head instructor always tells me that - and guess what he enjoys doing most? Kids can be lots of fun. Is your instructor amenable to you making your own program for kids' classes - incorporating what you need to teach, of course? If so, try playing a short game with them at the end of class. Tell them you "have a surprise for them" at the end of class "if we get everything done that we need to today." Doesn't have to be more than five minutes - and you can be sneaky and work in a drill you need to do during class as a game. Most of all, have fun. Kids are great to work with. KT

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tony said:
Again Dan thanks!

So what is it you study if you don't mind me asking and how long have your been training? I study Shaolin Long fist Kung Fu for which I have been training in for 6 years! How time flies!

Tony
6 years???!!! Tony, that's a good amount of time. I'm even more sure of your capabilities, now.

I'm studying Modern Arnis and Renegade JKD, and have about a year and a half of non-consecutive training, and about two years of solo study between.

KT, thank you, but not deserved. I just try to help where I can, but I put my foot in my mouth alot too. :asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
6 years???!!! Tony, that's a good amount of time. I'm even more sure of your capabilities, now.

I'm studying Modern Arnis and Renegade JKD, and have about a year and a half of non-consecutive training, and about two years of solo study between.

KT, thank you, but not deserved. I just try to help where I can, but I put my foot in my mouth alot too. :asian:
We all do at times, but I find you're consistent with your good advice more often than not.:samurai:

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
... The instructors always remind them right away that they can't grab during sparring, but it makes you think, ...

Why can't you grab kicks during sparring?

I'm a long time kempo guy, but took a 2 year diversion into TKD because I wanted to strengthen a waeakness, my kicks. I also received the instruction not to grab kicks, and it eventually led to my departure from TKD. Why shouldn't you grab a kick if you can, or a punch, or an ear, or anything else that will give you an advantge. I recognize that there are limits in the dojo, I wouldn't grab someone by the berries in order to land a head shot during sparring, but you fight the way you train, right?

I just had this talk this evening with my sons. They were at a sparring class and one of my boys was complaining that his opponent kept grabbing him and punching, keeping him from retreating. I agree that it is pretty annoying, so deal with it. I grab to keep the opponent within range of my attack, but I'm also holding myself within range of theirs. So attack quickly then get the hell out of Dodge.

I'm not bashing TKD here, after all, I did seek out instruction in the art to acheive a specific end.

Latest Discussions