Input appreciated (warning long post)

OP
J

Jester

It's not a class......... its a group. A bunch of martial artists getting together to share knowledge.

We will all have our own art, this is where we will all be 'masters' as it were.

The sessions will not be open to begineers as they wouldn't be able to recognise bad techniques, where as experienced martial artists will have a better chance. Alos we will be training in such a way as to test the effectivness of these techniques not only against real life combatents but against different styles and techniqes (have you considered that?)

I think there are pitfalls that will have to be watched for. But I think I have enough round knowledge of the martial arts that I'll be able to reconise people who don't know what they're talking about.

Ta

p.s Cthulhu, this is my idea and I'm quite excited about it. I apprecitae positive and negetive input but can you leave your sarcasm at the door, just cause you don't agree doesn't make it wrong.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its a bit strange to me, when MAist begin calling themselves "masters" of anything. I've been training in CMA for many, many years of my life and I would not come close to calling myself a master at any of it. I'm not saying your skill level is not high, its just that if you do "adopt" a technique that is done wrong, you could not only not learn a correct technique but hurt yourself or someone else while trying to perform it.
I don't think its a bad idea for MAist to get together and train, I just think its harder than most people think to truly recognize what is a wrong technique and what is not, especially in other systems.

JMHO,
7sm

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you are on to a great idea. There are a few obstacles, but I don't feel that they are insurmountable.

1.) make sure that you have a core group organized that will show up regularly. It can get quite disheartening for new folks and 'session facilitators' to show to an empty room.

2.) Strongly suggest that folks have experience - they need some basic understanding of technique to evaluate it.

3.) Ignore the naysayers like Cthulu who apparently think that you and all who will participate are stupid and can't evaluate technique for yourselves. The thought that people can evaluate technique scares the daylights out of people who make money teaching.

4.) Do not expect to make any money doing this. If you are lucky, you can charge a nominal mat fee and cover the location expenses.

5.)Also ignore the zealots who think that there is only one right way. There's lots of 'right ways' to punch and kick. That's the point of the whole idea.

Best of luck. Wish I could get something like that going in my area. It's been a plan on paper for a while, but I haven't had the time to do it properly.

Matt

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt
I think you are on to a great idea. There are a few obstacles, but I don't feel that they are insurmountable.

3.) Ignore the naysayers like Cthulu who apparently think that you and all who will participate are stupid and can't evaluate technique for yourselves. The thought that people can evaluate technique scares the daylights out of people who make money teaching.

Interesting, I don't recall ever thinking any of them were stupid, nor do I recall saying such. Apparently, your ability to read minds is somewhat flawed.

I actually had the same idea while I was in school, but I was going to limit it to black belt/instructor level students.

I merely expressed concern for them possibly teaching each other incorrectly, something I was guilty of when I first started training.

Maybe you should take a moment to ask someone what they are thinking before attributing things to them that they never actually said, Matt.

Cthulhu

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Interesting, I don't recall ever thinking any of them were stupid, nor do I recall saying such. Apparently, your ability to read minds is somewhat flawed.

It's that Blaine guy's fault. Ever since he got back out of the box, the interference has been terrible.

I merely expressed concern for them possibly teaching each other incorrectly, something I was guilty of when I first started training.

Maybe you should take a moment to ask someone what they are thinking before attributing things to them that they never actually said, Matt.

Cthulhu

I didn't ask, because your meaning seemed abundantly clear when you said:

So you're conciously going to teach each other incorrect technique, and possibly pass those on to still more.

Good luck with that.

Cthulhu

That didn't seem like a question to me. I guess whatever is ruining my psychic skills is also affecting your ability to determine Jester's intent. Somehow I got the impression that you thought that his workout group of experienced people would blindly (and stupidly)accept an incorrect technique without evaluating it, or would be unable to determine that it was incorrect if they tried to evaluate it, and that Jester would (in a blaze of additional stupidity) 'conciously teach each other incorrect technique'.

That's the impression I got. Perhaps you might elaborate on how:

So you're conciously going to teach each other incorrect technique, and possibly pass those on to still more.

Good luck with that.

Cthulhu

Means something else, to mitigate my misunderstanding.

Thank you,

Matt

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My response simply means I do not agree with what he is doing. Yes, it was done in a sarcastic manner, but at no point is it implied that I think they are 'stupid', as you seem to believe I do.

At any rate, I don't need to explain myself to the likes of you.

Jester, if my sarcasm was overly harsh, then I apologize.

Cthulhu

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
My response simply means I do not agree with what he is doing. Yes, it was done in a sarcastic manner, but at no point is it implied that I think they are 'stupid', as you seem to believe I do.

That is the inference I drew. I stand by my inference; the words led me there. I'm glad you don't mean what I inferred, but perhaps stated more clearly (and less sarcastically), it would have conveyed more helpful criticism.

I won't go into a tirade about the widespread disparagement of critical thinking by 'non-credentialed' martial artists. I don't want to further detract from this thread.

At any rate, I don't need to explain myself to the likes of you.

What exactly is the 'likes of me'? It's that mind reading again. I guess this misunderstanding underscores the need to explain to the likes of me.

I expect that those in authority choosetheir words and avoid ad hominem attacks.

Jester, if my sarcasm was overly harsh, then I apologize.

Cthulhu

I'm glad you are taking the high road. Now let's help him out and give him some ideas to insure that the club will avoid the pitfalls mentioned.

I suggest that every technique should be 'trouble shot' to determine its strengths and weaknesses. Input from other arts/artists would be especially useful, as they may not make the same assumptions that a familiar practicioner might. It's the 'feeding the right attack' problem.

Anyone else?

Matt

OP
J

Jester

Ok guys come on I don't want this to turn into a fight. I honestly welcome all your opinions.

Thanks for you post Matt I agreed with your points. I hope there will be a core group, starting with the three of us and no I don't expect to make any money from it. I just want enough to keep it going, pay for a hall etc.

We are going ahead with this, the website is done (kind of) but not live yet. I'll let you all know when it's availible, it seems a lot of people have had a similar idea which means I should hopefully get some interest. And I think I understand what the pitfalls are and I hope to avoid them as best I can.

I think only time will tell if this will work or not.

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Truth be told, I've often wished for somethign like this in my area.
ALthough I've always imagined it more as a group where people of different styles could come together and spar, friendly-like, together. Increase innovation and knowledge, and experience thinkoing outsidre of your system's box -- but such a thing is very hard to organize.

I have to problem with fellow MAists teaching each other little things they know -- but it is best if all parties take everything with a bit of salt -- the teaching person (no matter who they are) realizes they may not be teaching the technique exaclty 'right' and the learning person realizes the same. Still -- it could be fun, and informative. :)

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Jester,

Out of curiosity (no starting a flame war here) what is your experience in the MA world, and what will be your criteria for entry to a class?

Something which you may want to consider seriously is what will happen if anyone is injured while participating in this syndicate of yours. I'm not sure what the rules are in the UK but I know in Australia that you need to have some kind of public liability insurance. That won't come cheap. This isn't said to knock your idea on the head, but rather make you consider the wider picture and the repercussions if something does happen to go wrong.

Respectfully,

OP
J

J-kid

Cthulhu
I dont know if belts is a great way to determin who can teach on average or what skill level people truely have. After seeing so many 6 month black belts which shouldnt be more then yellow. When someone in another art who has been training for 5 years may only have a green or blue belt but may have alot of skill equel to a 3rd degree black belt. Like in BJJ its real real hard to get a black belt.

Latest Discussions