Inner programs that work

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What other inner programs does your school offer and what are the benefits from them? How much do they cost and how much time is devoted to them each month?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have...

Black Belt Club
No extra fee, one class per week only available to black belt club members. You are invited to join by the grand master based on what he sees you do in class. This is the class for the big adults, any black belt and teenagers with talent. 100% power during sparring and nobody minds if you break a kicking bag when you slam it against the wall. Once you are a member you get $10 or so off of the usual testing fee. Nobody likes the Kumdo classes that are a part of this class and they end up skipping that week.

Hwa Rang Do
An extra $100 per month, meant for pre-teens and teens. This is one extra class per week devoted to sparring. These are the kids who will end up doing well in tournaments.

Junior Leaders
An extra $100 per month, meant for teenagers. These kids are taught how to be instructors. When they get a little older they end up running classes (under supervision of course).

Personally I feel that the extra cost for the Hwa Rang Do and Junior Leaders is way too high for what they get out of it.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have different do-bok colours for the different programs...

White - Just attends normal classes.
Blue - Black Belt Club member.
Red - Hwa Rang Do member.
White with "Junior Leader" on the back - Junior Leader member.

During regular classes it can look like an explosion in a paint factory.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't do all of the clubs at my school. All we have is a competition team. It's an extra fee...for that you ghet real hard training, 2 hours the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and 1 hr the 2nd and 4th Firday of the month. The classes are devoted entirely to the fine poitns of Olympic style sparring. Each years we invite students who look like they've got skills to join, but it's open tyo asnyone who wants to try and is willing to work hard.

Anbother school I know of had a BB club, then they also had a leadership club that had extra classes to teach things like pedagogy (teaching skills), class management, curriculum design and school management. This was for folks who were being groomed ot hlep run the school or who were interested in running schools of their own someday. they also had a special club for weapons work as well as a demo team club (think xma). each of these was an extar fee and class and were in place to meet the desires of subsets of the student body interested in such things.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
NO clubs, no extra fees.

If you decide to go the instructor route you will be out enough time and extra money...especially time!

But I like the mentioned BB club by invite only. Not the added fee, but the idea. Maybe that could get things going in our area.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
None. Anyone who shows up gets whatever they are ready to learn - but please note that I teach a class at the Y; I don't own a school, and that's a different proposition, IMHO.

Latest Discussions