Infrazael's Training Routine - CLF

I

Infrazael

Hi everyone, I would like to get some feedback. I have finally figured out a training routine for myself, after trying out various different routines.

If you think I should improve my time or the way I do it, feel free to put in any thoughts. I'm mostly training to prepare for fights and self-defense. I am not a performer, as I practice my kung fu purely for the purposes of combat, not giving a show to others (however if my Sifu does want me to do any forms for performance, I will gladly do it).

I am not currently in class, therefore this is my routine for practicing at home 7 days a week. When I get back to class my rountine will have to change.

Anyways, here is my schedule

Mondays --

40 knuckle diving-pushups, 20 knuckle pushups, 20 finger pushups.
100 crunches
80 roundhouse kicks, 80 side kicks, 80 front push kicks.
200 Fan Jongs with 10-pound dumbells, 300 Fan Jongs empty-handed.

Tuesday --

1 hour 15 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 15 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

1 hour of jogging.

50 knuckle pushups, 50 crunches, 15 minutes of stance training.

Wednesday--

1 hour 30 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 30 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

Thursday --

40 knuckle diving-pushups, 20 knuckle pushups, 20 finger pushups.
100 crunches
80 roundhouse kicks, 80 side kicks, 80 front push kicks.
200 Fan Jongs with 10-pound dumbells, 300 Fan Jongs empty-handed.

Friday --

1 hour 15 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 15 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

1 hour of jogging.

Saturday--

1 hour 30 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 30 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

Sunday--

Now, you may see that form practice is not PART of my actual, written routine, but I will go over them throughout the week when I have spare time, like do them in sets of 2-3 when I have small breaks between homework, TV, etc, etc. So I do go over my forms, not neglect them.

Thanks alot for any input.

OP
R

RHD

Infrazael said:
Hi everyone, I would like to get some feedback. I have finally figured out a training routine for myself, after trying out various different routines.

If you think I should improve my time or the way I do it, feel free to put in any thoughts.

My only thoughts were: how fast will you over train and burn out on this routine? The content isn't bad, I'd include more partnered drills and sparring, but definately more time off. Maybe like Mondays and Thursdays off to allow your body to recuperate. I know it's hard to get all the things done that we'd like to in our training regimen's, but this one is too much for anyone's body to sustain for longer than a week or two.

Mike

OP
I

Infrazael

I would love to incorporate partnered sparring, but this is for when I'm at home (those months where you're so damn busy you can't drive 1 hour to kung fu classes, and drive 1 hour back).

However, my best friend will start Choy Lay Fut once his hockey season is over, and we will be sparring/banging arms/working together alot.

Thanks.

I'd include more partnered drills and sparring, but definately more time off. Maybe like Mondays and Thursdays off to allow your body to recuperate.
Those are pretty much the day's I recuperate. . . kinda. I don't do any stances on those days, just work on my snap kicks. There's no conditioning, just a little more body exercises than usual. I do alot of pushups, crunches, and varied kinds of them and I'm really really used to them, so doing 50 per day on top of a ton of techniques doesn't burn me out very much for the next day.

Thanks for the consideration however, I'll ponder over all of your advices.

Peace.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep up the good work. Even when your peers turn against you. Hard work pays off.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Keep up the good work. Even when your peers turn against you. Hard work pays off.
I'm not sure what that means, but I agree with RHD, you need to at the very least take Sundays off, or something. Doing this routine for more than a few weeks will start to become counter-productive. You will only be tearing your body down and giving it no time to build back up. Thats negating all the working out your doing. Thats coming from my medical/physical therapy background.

As far as your bag work, you should incorporate circuit style training. Get a timer and do 2 or 3 minute rounds during your alloted time. Each round as high intensity and speed/power as you can muster. You can then use a whole round (or several) for conditioning techniques. I found that helps keep my intensity up and helps burn in and build up cardio and stamina as well.

7sm

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as people like to publish their excercise routines in magazines, it's actually a very personal thing depending on a lot of factors.

I think there are definitely people who could train this hard. And, without watching him hit the bag or seeing him jog, it's hard to judge how much impact this type of training has.

That said, I wonder if perhaps a bit more bodyweight strength training for other muscle groups would be an appropriate addition. There are quite a few good theads in the Health Tips section on this type of excercises.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I think there are definitely people who could train this hard.
Thats not in question, the point is not that people can't train this hard, the point is that training that hard is counter-productive. Training that hards works great for a little bit of time, but over prolonged training it begins to do more harm to your body than good. A great workout isn't the hardest, but the smartest. The one that gives you the most advance, and betters you the most, this type of workout simply isn't the one to do that.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

Infrazael said:
However, my best friend will start Choy Lay Fut once his hockey season is over, and we will be sparring/banging arms/working together alot.

Thanks.

I think that's great, a training partner always is a good way to go. I apologize if I sounded nagative on my earlier post, that wasn't the intent! It's an ambitious regimen, and if you can stick to it without overtraining or injury then I am sure it will be good for you.

Mike

OP
R

RHD

upnorthkyosa said:

:iws:

What was that supposed to mean?

Mike

OP
S

Spook

Infrazael said:
I do alot of pushups, crunches, and varied kinds of them and I'm really really used to them, so doing 50 per day on top of a ton of techniques doesn't burn me out very much for the next day.
Being "really used to" an exercise means that your're not getting any gains from the exercise. Muscles get used to repetition and then they stop being worked. you really shouldn't be doing 100 crunches. At that point your abs aren't being worked much at all. Try doing small sets holding a weight to your chest on a 45 degree incline, or do crunches slow with a medicine ball. Changing your routine like this will basically wake your muscles back up. Same thing for pushups. Do pushups with a weight on your back, or do bench press instead of pushups all together. Through a drastic change in your work out (like the ones mentioned above) every couple of months and you will see larger gains than before.

I also agree that you should have a mandatory rest day that you do no exercising at all. other than that... keep up the good work!

OP
I

Infrazael

I've decided that I will take one day off ont he weekend (usually either Friday or Sunday, depending on my schedule).

But I will definitely have a rest day.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and 7star I really like that round idea with the bagwork, it will help me increase the intensity I think.

Peace

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would give a days rest for the pushups & crunches & put that time towards - stance work.
I'd also take 15 minutes away from applications & put it towards - stance work.
Unless you really like running I'd cut back by 30 minutes & put that towards...........................................stance work.

Otherwise looks like a solid program geared for someone a little bit more deidcated than the average martial art student.

Latest Discussions