Information on Systema

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39746

Well, its another of these threads. Namely directed at anyone who knows Russian or has done systema.

So as it stands i have some information on the styles the person merged together or at least took ideas/principles from, a limited knowledge in how they teach it and what is taught in it and a limited knowledge if its actually good. In spirit, it looks like it seeks to promote pragmatism and give you a lot of free reign, but its just what techniques do they teach you and do they work and do you pressure test etc. I think it fails on pressure testing.

So can anyone who does it shed some light onto the subject. Also if anyone knows what constitutes legitimate systema and if there is a website dedicated to it with information. (in English) Are there any styles confused with or are also refereed to systema as well? (given what it means in Russian there might be some who call themselves it at least informally)

Anyway a rambling post asking for information about it. Slightly open title, it looks partially like one of those singular URL type posts. :p

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did Systema during a few months at a Ryabko school (at that time).

I enjoyed the way of training. Freedom, punching without gloves, low speed most of the time, relaxation exercises...

A big down side is it works with cooperation. They probably are not aware. They start with a simplistic attack (perfect as first difficulty level) that then becomes a pattern (as we see in every style, each style its attacks).

Another, head defence was null. As they don’t use gloves, they don’t punch much the head (the most likely needed in self defence - what they say they are for).

One more, under pessure they fail dramatically, and not much pressure needed. Just the instructor in class with a senior student. The student couldn’t control the attacker once in many trials, quite slow attacks still. One takedown fails (for example) and the student let the attacker go away, loosing completely the control over him. Any untrained person would grab or punch or whatever to nullify the threat.

After all it is not worse than other styles. Others have the same or other flaws. I still have a good feeling about Systema and I think there is potential in there, but the training for seniors, at least, should be better; or, in other words, the senior students should be more efective.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a club here in Seattle, but I haven't met them or seen them train. It seems interesting to me and I think it could be worth checking out if you have a local option. I would think that the criticism above would pertain to the club/instructor/students rather than be general to the style, but I don't know.

There is really only one way to find out for sure.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think that the criticism above would pertain to the club/instructor/students rather than be general to the style, but I don't know.
...And very subjective. And based on a sample of one. :)

But remember the good aspects. That trainings made me feel good at the end of each session. Very relaxing. Safe training, yet painful at times (the good painful, as a massage). Body awareness. ‘Defence’ against unexpected obstacles or falls on irregular surfaces... Plenty of good things hard to find elsewhere.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a club here in Seattle, but I haven't met them or seen them train. It seems interesting to me and I think it could be worth checking out if you have a local option. I would think that the criticism above would pertain to the club/instructor/students rather than be general to the style, but I don't know.

There is really only one way to find out for sure.

While we're on the subject, @Rat have you found a place to train under an instructor or master yet?

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

While we're on the subject, @Rat have you found a place to train under an instructor or master yet?

Only place is TKD and i dont know if i could say i would be happy partaking in it further. Like truly happy.comfortable in doing so. I most likely will go back to it, but more as something to do and to keep fit and give its sport a shot than to actually get good at it if you know what i mean. That can always change if i grow to like it or utterly despair it.

Other than that im look at seminars and such to go to on a yearly basis or as i find basis or courses out of my town which are long enough to warrant going etc.

Also belay the link request the school i found had some for websites, granted they might be defunt now or in Russian...

‘Defence’ against unexpected obstacles or falls on irregular surfaces...

Not going to lie, the fact it was listed the school did break falls every class did kind of appeal to me. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Other than that im look at seminars and such to go to on a yearly basis or as i find basis or courses out of my town which are long enough to warrant going etc.

A yearly basis? You need to go to class a minimum of 2 times a week, preferably 3, in order to see any benefit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m very interested in Systema. Wish I had a place to train in it.
One of our members here, Brian King, is a Systema guy. I’m sure he’ll weigh in next time he’s around.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

I’m very interested in Systema. Wish I had a place to train in it.
One of our members here, Brian King, is a Systema guy. I’m sure he’ll weigh in next time he’s around.

Its like barely in reasonable driving distance if i had a car for a weekly commute and looking forward to them showing up.

It would be a first to learn Russian to just read someone obscure website on a obscure Russian martial art. :p (maybe not)

Latest Discussions