Indochinese Styles

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Hey,guys! I'm trying to make a complete list of Indochinese Martial arts styles (Not Substyles).So any styles or forms that you know about would be helpful. Thanks!:) :asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hu Ren Qianzai Long
Hey,guys! I'm trying to make a complete list of Indochinese Martial arts styles (Not Substyles).So any styles or forms that you know about would be helpful. Thanks!:) :asian:

Good luck :)

I've heard that there are over 300 systems of Silat on Java alone. And, being an "official" count, that likely doesn't take into account all the Chinese Kuntao that's trained there (because it is or, at least, used to be outlawed). It also doesn't likely count all the family systems that didn't bother register for whatever census provided the number. It also doesn't count the systems on Sumatra, Bali, Borneo, Flores, Timor, Malaysia, the southern Philippines, etc.

Mike

OP
K

krys

Silat can be found in vietnam, laos, cambodia, thailand, malaysia, singapore, indonesia, brunei, the southern philippines....

There are many other arts, for example there is a martial art also called escrima in Sabah (borneo), which is not related to filipino escrima, practiced by malay peoples....

You can also find many chinese styles in SEA, some that even disapeared in China.... And they are kept deadly and in the family....

In malaysia Wu-Chi, the so called ancestor of Yang Tai Chi is still practiced by a few .... usually the oversea chinese don't call their art kuntao.... (same pb than with the word kali, the pinoys will understand....)

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
anyone have more info on this??

What so you want to know? The list of styles in the SEA area would be impossible to list as Mike mentioned, but I think we could post the styles that have good representation in the US.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once you get into the area of Indonesia/Malaysia/Brunei/ect. they all start to be called Silat, with more specific names for each individual style, usually named for a person, animal, village, characteristic, ect. The term goes all the way to the southern Philippines where many Moros still call their styles Silat. I'd imagine that Brunei natives also call their art Silat, but they are quite a bit more westernized than the other Malayan cultures, so the term Silat may be antiquated for them.