In Search of the Warrior Spirit

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Read this book when it was first published.

The author and his team created and introduced a mind/body programme into the US military.

It is interesting to see how the troops respond to the claims of the instructors, especially those around the effectiveness of aikido and combat - mindsets change as the sessions progress and the trainings take effect.

Alongside the aikido sessions there are also mind/body fitness programmes and a meditation retreat.

It's a great book and well worth taking the time to read (or listen to on audible) and it is one I have returned to a number of times over the years 👍

iu

Being a warrior doesn’t mean winning or even succeeding. It means risking and failing and risking again, as long as you live - Richard Strozzi Heckler

BFoley

White Belt
Reaction score
I read this book when it was first published and really enjoyed it. After seeing this post, I'm going to read it again !

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the book quite a bit when I read it years ago. Might be worth a re-read.

It is interesting to see how the troops respond to the claims of the instructors, especially those around the effectiveness of aikido and combat - mindsets change as the sessions progress and the trainings take effect.
If I recall correctly, the author was originally surprised by which instructors the soldiers responded positively to. But he discovered that a lot had to do with how authentic the individuals were in how they presented themselves and their topics. A passionate aikido nerd would get a better reception than a pretentious Buddhist monk.

Latest Discussions