In defense of others using a sword

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting local news article. I thought I'd like to share this with you. We never know when we may need to use our hands and/or martial weapons.

Ceicei

Please let me know if the link below doesn't work.

Mormon bishop with Samurai sword runs off attacker, http://fxn.ws/11iINke - Sent via the FOX News Android App.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My friend Tom used his sword when a man started harrassing an old woman in the apartment next door. The guy apparently was on drugs and was arrested within 12 minutes of the attempted assault and robbery. Since then he has purchased a gun and actually pulled it during an attempted robbery of his own apartment. He is currently trying to move, for obvious reasons.

My other friend that we call JC used a machette to break up a domestic disturbance and placed the man who was beating his wife in the parking lot under a citizen's arrest until cops arrived 3 minutes later.

So this story doesn't surprise me. You never know when your training and your weapons may be needed for defense of yourself or others.
I hopefully will never need to use my training again in my life, but you never know.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
'And I've got your chapstick too, buddy!'

Seriously....sounds like '30 years of martial arts training' down the toilet.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How different that story would be if it happened in this country - "Psycho Samurai Mormon arrested for weapons offences" is not quite the story you'd hope for but that's what we'd get.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read this story elsewhere on the web. Good for him. I'm sure some may look at the weapon of choice and think it was a bit much, but it is what it is. He did a good thing IMO.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And rightly so. You know, where I come from, you don't show it unless you are gonna use it. The attacker did the idiot a favor by running away.

How different that story would be if it happened in this country - "Psycho Samurai Mormon arrested for weapons offences" is not quite the story you'd hope for but that's what we'd get.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So far, it doesn't look like the sword owner will be charged for showing his sword with a defensive purpose.

Ceicei

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
it happened in the USA and even the east coast states still have as far as I know the right to defend others.... so unlikely he would be able to be effectively charged with anything... Now from what I understand in much of Europe and definitely the UK, he would have been arrested for daring to resist that poor thug on behalf of that woman!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kudos to him for doing the right thing, but did anybody else notice that his grip was wrong?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this seems ridiculous to me. I'm glad someone went to the aid of another person; that's good, but weilding a sword against a person commiting a simple battery is a serious issue of escalation of force. What would he have done if the guy lunged at him, killed him with the sword? There's no way you could argue that would be reasonable force. He's lucky the guy ran, not the other way around.

Again, I'm glad that things ended up turning out ok, but this could have gone very, very badly.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this seems ridiculous to me. I'm glad someone went to the aid of another person; that's good, but weilding a sword against a person commiting a simple battery is a serious issue of escalation of force. What would he have done if the guy lunged at him, killed him with the sword? There's no way you could argue that would be reasonable force. He's lucky the guy ran, not the other way around.

Again, I'm glad that things ended up turning out ok, but this could have gone very, very badly.

Smack him with the saya, causing the sageo to wrap around his throat and then use it like one of those things the animal control people use on mean dogs. :rofl:

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Eh, it's not common for someone that is unarmed to lunge at a sword wielding maniac. Unless they're on something.
If the guy DID lunge then just turn the sword and bash him in the face. Also using the back of the blade in combination with your shoulder to trip him after that is possible. There are many things you can do if trained. However the better idea would have been to go out there with sword on your side. That way you can draw the weapon if the guy has a knife or bat or something.

I agree things could have become really bad, really quickly. But honestly this guy did the right thing. And personally I think that anyone rushing an armed man who is only trying to defend themselves or justifiably defend others... Well if there are witnesses to back up the story I think the idiot rushing the armed man deserves what he gets.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Himura Kenshin said:
If it were me, absolutely I'd kill him if he lunged at me. Anyone stupid enough to attack a sword wielding individual has to be on some pretty powerful drugs, and therefore cannot be expected to do anything reasonable such as not killing me. Ergo, I kill him first. I believe Utah has a law stating that deadly force can be used against someone involved in a felony offense, which he was since he was assaulting the neighbor.

I'm glad that the guy with the sword ran off the attacker. However, it does reveal a little bit about the inner workings of a lot of martial artists. The sword fellow tells the reporter "that doesn't happen often, this is a very quiet neighborhood." however, the fellow's wife tells the reporter that he keeps his sword by the bed for 20 years?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tells a lot about a subcategory of those that study MA...

However, it does reveal a little bit about the inner workings of a lot of martial artists. The sword fellow tells the reporter "that doesn't happen often, this is a very quiet neighborhood." however, the fellow's wife tells the reporter that he keeps his sword by the bed for 20 years?

Frankly, it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. A sword by your bedside...just hand an intruder your preferred method of demise.

A little unstable...don't you think? If it was a gun, 'responsible' weapon owners are told to keep them locked up.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
harlan said:
Frankly, it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. A sword by your bedside...just hand an intruder your preferred method of demise.

A little unstable...don't you think? If it was a gun, 'responsible' weapon owners are told to keep them locked up.
More than a little unstable in my opinion! I don't keep mine locked away, but they sit in a rack, not at the bedside! However, I've met a lot of that type of martial artist. These are the ones that do martial arts so others will call them "sensei", and they can tell people about how their hands and feet are registered as "deadly weapons". These types introduce themselves as "master" and will get belligerent if you're unimpressed. They'll also take a "menacing pose" with their "samurai sword" for the media. :) A fellow did a video interview of me a number of years back for the Dallas Morning News. He asked me to do a "menacing pose" with my sword, and I told him I wasn't going to do that.

Of course, this is all just gossip and supposition on my part as I've never met the fellow.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would anyone here have threatened the guy with a knife or firearm? I doubt it. You don't wield a deadly weapon unless you are prepared to use it, and if he was prepared to use it he would have faced serious charges. It's idiocy.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also it tells you a lot about the guy's confidence in his martial art skills that he has to resort to getting out his sword rather than dealing with the criminal unarmed. he had been sleeping with the sword by his bed for 20 years just waiting for an excuse to use it.

Latest Discussions