Importance of Rank

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The black belts are exemplary in their respect for others. They often give much-needed advice. They set a very good example. I am not afraid to approach black belts or my seniors and ask a question if I need to do so. I would say there is quite a bit of camaraderie in our school. Most everyone is very helpful.

It appears the black belts and seniors want to see the juniors succeed.

Even the black belt kids are respectful and helpful.

That is awesome, you are very lucky. I wish every school was like that.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is awesome, you are very lucky. I wish every school was like that.
Master R tries to make the atmosphere family-like. He says there is no excuse for a student not knowing their material as there is always someone you can ask. That means it is our duty to help juniors.

Quite often, I have white belts through orange belts asking me for help with wrist grips, hand combinations, or Korean terminology (lots of questions there). I'm always happy to help them. The only thing we won't assist anyone with is material above their belt level. And, of course, we green belts help one another. If there was a bunch of sniping and arrogance, I would just leave. I would say it's better than I could have hoped for. People are people but they seem to have risen above jealousy and self-centeredness at my school.

(A Judo school I attended was horrible - the men were helpful, just great, but the women were were nasty and catty as heck because they resented other women.)

Latest Discussions