Importance of Angles in TSD hyungs

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Sensei Rivers of Motobu Ha Shito Ryu has taken some time out of his very busy life to show us how the various angles in our hyungs are important. This video portrays some very important information and much of it has been lost on the average tangsoodoin because of a lack of understanding in regards to how a hyung works. Take a look at the video and lets discuss it and other hyung that may come to mind.

http://www.virginiakempo.com/feb 07 audio.rm

upnorthkyosa

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hell, I've downloaded this but can't seem to play it... :(

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are a couple of vids of my own that show the importance of angles in Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

upnorthkyosa

Attachments

• $Required Ill Soo Shik 7.AVI
    368.9 KB · Views: 131
  • $Required Ill Soo Shik 8.AVI
    438 KB · Views: 132

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are a couple of vids of my own that show the importance of angles in Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

upnorthkyosa

Nice vids! These I could run fine, but so far as the first one you posted goes, I guess I don't have Real Player installed...

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score

upnorthkyosa

Whoa. Interesting. Some of the techniques in the first one looked a bit rushed, but interesting. Mind detailing which parts of pyung ahn cho dan these illustrate? We have pyung ahn il soo sik, but none of them involve throws.

As far as the importance of angles in hyung, after seeing Mr. Rivers' video, I understand even better why we step out at an angle for pyung ahn cho dan/e dan. Just beyond the fact that you might have people coming at you from two different angles, seeing it as stepping to the side (something everyone learns in sparring drills) to set up for a counterattack makes it all the more useful.

robertmrivers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all

New installments of martial minute are up. Even got a fancy shmancy link up: www.martialminute.com

I tried to field a few of the things we were discussing in the clips as well.

Regards Rob

Latest Discussions