Im Interested in getting a new sword.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi, so basically I'm a newb at swords. I bought one last year. And I think they are awesome. I currently own a Gladius (which is the sword that started this collection) I own one Gladius but I want to get another sword. What are some cool swords that are budget friendly? I want something cool that looks badass, it will probably only be used to show off and maybe do some light testing. I also want an effective design for defense. I never plan on using it for defense but it would be nice to have something with that capability as a badass factor. I'm thinking a ninjato or wakizashi. But I'm open to suggestions. Something budget friendly. My budget is around $150. Thanks.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, so basically I'm a newb at swords. I bought one last year. And I think they are awesome. I currently own a Gladius (which is the sword that started this collection) I own one Gladius but I want to get another sword. What are some cool swords that are budget friendly? I want something cool that looks badass, it will probably only be used to show off and maybe do some light testing. I also want an effective design for defense. I never plan on using it for defense but it would be nice to have something with that capability as a badass factor. I'm thinking a ninjato or wakizashi. But I'm open to suggestions. Something budget friendly. My budget is around $150. Thanks.
Is it possible for you to find a school that teaches weapons as part of the curriculum? You will find a new kind of appreciation for a weapon that you are trained to use.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems you have 2 things going on that ypically don't match. It seem that you are a newbie collector of sword and that you want to use a sword.

I would first separate the two and never speak of them in the same topic. Here's why. People who collect sword do not want to use those sword as it brings down the value. People who want to use sword often buy functional swords thst have no collectors value.

For collection of swords it will cost more than $150 for quality from a reliable vendor.

For the use of a sword for self defense you sword will be cheaper and the first on will probably be wood or some kind of composite material that will be less than or around $150. You will spend years training with it and slowly move up to metal, then live blade in which the first blood it will raster is probably be yours. People who play with or train with live blades get cut.

But all of your application training will be with "non-leathal" blades. You still have to becareful since dull blades can still cause injury.

In short.
Collect swords but not for use. No martial arts training required.

To use blades, go to a school thst teaches how to use that weapon.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Condor does a bunch of cool stuff.

Sword chopping tree makes me cry for the sword. Swords are made for cutting flesh and leather. Axes are made to cut trees.

I have yet to meet someone who trains with a sword that would cut that stuff except for cold steel lol..

Last edited:
OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to find a school that teaches weapons as part of the curriculum? You will find a new kind of appreciation for a weapon that you are trained to use.
I did 3 years on and off of kali. I'd say 1.5 years of training if you add up the active time I trained. One year I trained 9 months straight At the school and did solo drills at home and virtual training with my teacher when covid happened. Then I've had 4 months here and there. 3 months one time. And other times like that. I don't go to class anymore due to my schedule problems, but I still train sometimes at home. We did a lot of stick work, knives, karambits, bolo you name it. I own a bolo at My house but I didn't think of it as a sword even though we did some sword like things in training. I've never trained with a katana or much Japanese style weapons but I think they are badass. Kung fu weapons are cool to me too. I collect various weapons(non firearms) like different types of blades, impact weapons etc. Basically I want something I can test and live out my forged in fire fantasies in my backyard. And when my friends come over i can show them a badass sword that's part of my collection. Honestly it would be nothing like forged in fire. It would be light testing.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It seems you have 2 things going on that ypically don't match. It seem that you are a newbie collector of sword and that you want to use a sword.

I would first separate the two and never speak of them in the same topic. Here's why. People who collect sword do not want to use those sword as it brings down the value. People who want to use sword often buy functional swords thst have no collectors value.

For collection of swords it will cost more than $150 for quality from a reliable vendor.

For the use of a sword for self defense you sword will be cheaper and the first on will probably be wood or some kind of composite material that will be less than or around $150. You will spend years training with it and slowly move up to metal, then live blade in which the first blood it will raster is probably be yours. People who play with or train with live blades get cut.

But all of your application training will be with "non-leathal" blades. You still have to becareful since dull blades can still cause injury.

In short.

Thanks. That makes sense. I don't have the budget to collect really rare sword like a 10k authentic katana from Japan. But I guess my collection and my fun stuff should be separate now that you pointed that out to me.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
probably only be used to show off and maybe do some light testing. I also want an effective design for defense. I never plan on using it for defense
???? Your desires are mutually exclusive.
My budget is around $150
Can't be done. To do the things you want, $600 is the minimum for a sharpened Samurai katana replica.
You still have to be careful since dull blades can still cause injury.
Someone wanting a weapon to look cool and badass probably shouldn't have one.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
???? Your desires are mutually exclusive.

Can't be done. To do the things you want, $600 is the minimum for a sharpened Samurai katana replica.

Someone wanting a weapon to look cool and badass probably shouldn't have one.
$600 sounds reasonable for something like that, but not in my budget. I'll have to save up. "Someone wanting a weapon to look cool and badass probably shouldn't have one." Dude seriously? You've never been to someone's house who has one of those fake katana, wakizashi, and tanto set ups on a display? My cousins husband has one and they are God fearing Christians without a bad bone in them. They just have it because he's into ninja movies and think it looks cool and it's more decoration than anything. Idk where you live, but in America there are quite a few people who want to look bad ***, so they go out and buy an AR 15 or tons of tactical firearms because they think it makes them look cool or they think it's cool, or it's a hobby to them. I'm talking about a sword, and starting a sword collection. There are people in my state with ak47s and ar15s. Also it's for a collection I'm not an idiot and don't plan on taking it in public. It's for a cool factor that's all. I'm in to martial arts, and martial arts movies. I feel offended that you would question my character over me wanting to have a sword collection. I'm 32 years old and a devoted Christian man. I live like a monk. I practice martial arts, and bother no one.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You've never been to someone's house who has one of those fake katana, wakizashi, and tanto set ups on a display?
Sure I've seen a lot of "theatrical" display swords that a child can bend with their bare hands, but that is not capable of even "light cutting" and would not be very capable for defensive purposes, especially without training.
I feel offended that you would question my character
I'm not questioning your character, just your stated expectations.
devoted Christian man. I live like a monk
An atheist who likes to drink and screw in moderation can be a great at karate or swordsmanship and be a good person as well. Your religion has no bearing on this or any other subject on this site, IMO.

Many on this site have decades in MA and will tend to react to posts from a critical position, recognizing unrealistic or uninformed statements. There is nothing wrong in having a fake sword hanging on your wall, but when you express a desire to wield it, it can be seen as dangerous to you or others. Aside from however sharp the cutting part of the blade is (ha), cheap swords can break upon stress and the tang can disengage from the tsuka with sharp parts flying off.

I suggest you realistically determine your goals regarding a sword and insure you use it in a manner appropriate to its capabilities. This is good and prudent advice.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. That makes sense. I don't have the budget to collect really rare sword like a 10k authentic katana from Japan. But I guess my collection and my fun stuff should be separate now that you pointed that out to me.
You don't have to get the most expensive sword to start a sword collection. I'll put it this way. When you get a good sword, the last thing you want to do is use it. I have a small collection of swords. It's nothing expensive, maybe $200 swords. I practice with 2 and the other 3 site and collect dust for me. The 2 that I want to use are the ones I train with. The ones that I collect are the ones that I rarely take out.

Think of it like collecting coins, the ones you want to collect you keep safe, the ones you want to use are the ones you spend. This is pretty much the pattern for collecting things.

If you want use one for self defense then you'll need to buy one that meets the task and once you have it, train with it. So that it doesn't urn against you. Then wait for a time that hopefully will never come.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep I agree.

Before buying a sword read up on what makes a sword a "good sword" It will vary depending on the type of sword.

My all-time favorites on how swords turn against you. I wouldn't even practice with something like this lol. I still get a giggle since it didn't hit him in the face.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You don't have to get the most expensive sword to start a sword collection. I'll put it this way. When you get a good sword, the last thing you want to do is use it. I have a small collection of swords. It's nothing expensive, maybe $200 swords. I practice with 2 and the other 3 site and collect dust for me. The 2 that I want to use are the ones I train with. The ones that I collect are the ones that I rarely take out.

Think of it like collecting coins, the ones you want to collect you keep safe, the ones you want to use are the ones you spend. This is pretty much the pattern for collecting things.

If you want use one for self defense then you'll need to buy one that meets the task and once you have it, train with it. So that it doesn't urn against you. Then wait for a time that hopefully will never come.
What type of swords are in your collection? Any kung fu ones? I like all swords but kung fu ones like drop bear posted are cool.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What type of swords are in your collection? Any kung fu ones? I like all swords but kung fu ones like drop bear posted are cool.
At the moment I only have a straight sword and Tai Chi sword. 2 straight and 5 Tai chi. I'll probability get more before I'm 60.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the moment I only have a straight sword and Tai Chi sword. 2 straight and 5 Tai chi. I'll probability get more before I'm 60.
What styles are mixed to create jow ga or is it it's own direct method made as a standalone system? I've seen some of your videos and I liked them. I thought I saw a bit of long fist like choy li fut or some southern style long fist. I did san soo which depending on who you ask you would get a different story about the origin. I'd say it's a southern style cousin art to some long fist like choy li fut. But some have told me there's some northern in it, I don't see the northern in what I've learned. I'm interested in your style. I don't know much about it but I like what I saw. I can no longer train san soo as no schools in my area but I did find a few schools of related systems. There's a shaolin long fist school in Boston, and a choy li fut, and wah lum. I'm not sure which one to pursue but I'm doing my research. Planning on making it down there a few times a month and work on what I learned at home, then go back for corrections and to learn new material.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What styles are mixed to create jow ga or is it it's own direct method made as a standalone system?
It's made of Hung Ga, Choy Ga, and Northern Shaolin.

This is the northern

@Kung Fu Wang This is where the headlock shows in the form. It follows the straight punch and goes directly into a head lock
1713488673006.png

There's a shaolin long fist school in Boston, and a choy li fut, and wah lum. I'm not sure which one to pursue but I'm doing my research.
If you like the large swings then I recommend Choy li fut. It uses some of the same strikes that Jow Ga uses. It's long fist as well. I don't know much about wah lum but it seems to have similar techniques to Jow Ga's close range strikes.

From what I saw Shaolin will be on one end and Wah Lum would be on the other end. Choy Li Fut would be in the middle with a mixture. From what I took a look at with Wah Lum, I think you have a good choice no matter which you choose. The only real difference would be which school has a good focus on application.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sword chopping tree makes me cry for the sword. Swords are made for cutting flesh and leather. Axes are made to cut trees.

I have yet to meet someone who trains with a sword that would cut that stuff except for cold steel lol..
Those guys are basically machetes. But people enter cutting comps with them.

I think if you wanted to get good at a sword you would benefit more from cutting down trees. Than kata. You would get stronger. You would get more repetitions and you would make cleaner cuts

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if you wanted to get good at a sword you would benefit more from cutting down trees. Than kata. You would get stronger. You would get more repetitions and you would make cleaner cuts
My guess is that this falls under the heavy bag reasoning. Punching only on a heavy bag will make your punch strong but, only punching the heavy bag won't make you a good fighter.

Chopping vs slicing

If I wanted to have a good idea the types of swings when using a blade and how to use it, then I would probably train for cutting competition. At least this way I get a good understanding of effective swinging to achieve the cut. But beyond that there is no fighting technique

If you really want to be good with a sword then I would say always go ninja lol

Latest Discussions