If you stop today, you may stop for the rest of your life.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Few days ago when I worked on the free weight, I hurt my low back muscle. After 3 days of resting, I decided to decrease my weight for 10 lb. I then realized that if I did, I may never be able to go back for the rest of my life. Today I still keep the same weight.

Have this kind of things ever happen to you? You have maintained a certain training program through your life and you are afraid to change it.

Your thought?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Few days ago when I worked on the free weight, I hurt my low back muscle. After 3 days of resting, I decided to decrease my weight for 10 lb. I then realized that if I did, I may never be able to go back for the rest of my life. Today I still keep the same weight.

Have this kind of things ever happen to you? You have maintained a certain training program through your life and you are afraid to change it.

Your thought?

I'd see the opposite. If you re-injure yourself, then it would make things worse. Going in at a lower weight to prevent re-injury is better than going in at the weight that injured you, and risking being out for even longer.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Different weights come and go. But the thread title says it all concerning training and wether you do or not.

I’ll stop working out three days after I’m dead. And even then it will be under severe protest.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had to change some of my routines to adapt to my body. I miss running, but I can't do it like I used to - knees just won't take it (and it may be somewhat responsible). I do different weight/strength training than I used to, because I have different needs. I stretch more, because I need to.

Every exercise and weight I do today, I'll someday have to give in to time on. If I give in wisely (and avoid giving in unwisely), I'll probably be able to keep doing more of what matters to me longer.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had to change some of my routines to adapt to my body. I miss running, but I can't do it like I used to - knees just won't take it (and it may be somewhat responsible).
We all have to change our training routine some day. As long as that day is not today. I know my logic may not make sense here. But I do have the fear of changing.

I have done 3 miles running for the past 30 years. Today I may not run as fast as I used to, but I still want to maintain my 3 miles distance. I don't know when I'll stop doing this. But today is not that day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your thought?
you probably should change your program every so often, as the effect will lessen over time, and you will end up going backwards if you just keep doing the same thing, stopping however is a different thing, a week or two off to recover from injury or just a deload week us a good idea, much more than that and you may never get it back again if your any sort of age

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?

Give yourself time to heal, maybe work on other stuff as long as it won't reinjure. The body is resilient..you CAN work back up or go better unless its structurally dangerous or going to cause death of course. The mind can cause a lot of amazing things to happen. I've come back from injuries a lot and it hasn't stopped me at 50.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We all have to change our training routine some day. As long as that day is not today. I know my logic may not make sense here. But I do have the fear of changing.

I have done 3 miles running for the past 30 years. Today I may not run as fast as I used to, but I still want to maintain my 3 miles distance. I don't know when I'll stop doing this. But today is not that day.

I also have done 3 miles running over the last 30 years.

You mean total, right?

Latest Discussions