if you had only one tech to teach for self defence, which one would it be?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Let's put it this way: say your little sister is going on gap year trip and all of a sudden you realise you won't be here to help her if anything happens. Still you'd like to teach her some techniques for self defence purpose.

The problem is you just have time for one tech (not the full system). So which one would you choose?
AWARENESS!!
Be aware of where you are going. (do some research) Contact the local police and inquire as to where are the problem areas and what to look out for. Know your limitations and don't put yourself in a situation that compromises your personal space and safety.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to take a different route, away from the physical side, and say that the best thing that I could teach, would be some good old fashion awareness and common sense. Try to know a little about the area you're going to, if you're going to be with others, try to use the buddy system, if you're going to a bar/club, keep your eye on your drink, don't draw extra attention to yourself by flashing lots of money or wearing fancy, expensive jewelry, etc.
^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: MJS

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Fence, on the basis that it will keep people out of "sucker punch" distance, and also will show career criminals that you are "switched on", which is usually enough to deter them. They want an easy target, a victim, not someone who is switched one and will give them problems.

Last edited:

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion of teaching her the fence above, but an alternative (or even something to combine with the usage of the fence) would be to teach her how to distract a potential predator trough talking submissively, asking him what he want, and then suckerpunching him when he responds right on the chin with something akin to Fairbairn's chin jab (kind of like an open handed uppercut, just with somewhat different mechanics).
chinjab.jpg

A quite simple technique which can be fired of from a non-fighting stance like the fence, and because of the leverage attained by hitting the chin from belov, the short distance traveled by the hand, and the distraction-element before striking, it can have devastating results even when done by a small lady with minimal training.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to take a different route, away from the physical side, and say that the best thing that I could teach, would be some good old fashion awareness and common sense. Try to know a little about the area you're going to, if you're going to be with others, try to use the buddy system, if you're going to a bar/club, keep your eye on your drink, don't draw extra attention to yourself by flashing lots of money or wearing fancy, expensive jewelry, etc.

Situational awareness and common sense are probably the 2 best aspects, I would also include physically the palm heel to the nose or groin shot if needed.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Let's put it this way: say your little sister is going on gap year trip and all of a sudden you realise you won't be here to help her if anything happens. Still you'd like to teach her some techniques for self defence purpose.

The problem is you just have time for one tech (not the full system). So which one would you choose?

The more I think about it, this is an impossible question to answer.

Why weren't you teaching your little sister all along? One "technique" would be like teaching one word in a language. And it would depend on what your sister was like. Is she an introvert, a wild woman, an athlete, is she street smart, is she big, small, old, young?

We should teach our little sisters. We should teach our wives, our daughters, our friends. I know, some of them couldn't be bothered. But, hey, give it a shot.

smiller2144

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would be this pressure point, I've tried in in real life many times and have had it done to me, terribly effective. Most effective if pushed in then down hard.

skip to 26:33

Last edited:
OP
W

WesJones

White Belt
Reaction score
The more I think about it, this is an impossible question to answer.

Why weren't you teaching your little sister all along? One "technique" would be like teaching one word in a language. And it would depend on what your sister was like. Is she an introvert, a wild woman, an athlete, is she street smart, is she big, small, old, young?

We should teach our little sisters. We should teach our wives, our daughters, our friends. I know, some of them couldn't be bothered. But, hey, give it a shot.

Thanks. This is a round up question. I used the little sister story to put it in perspective.

See, I'm quite an active guy and the first time I went for a canyoning/rafting day out (I was in my teens), the guide told me that if I ever happened to fall in the river, I should not fight against the stream (which would be exhausting) but go with the flow instead (using my energy to drift toward the shore) and keep my legs forward (leg injury usually less fatal than upper body injury).

He did not ask if I could swim, he rightly assumed that I would fight to survive and he gave me an advice that would increase my chances if **** ever happen.

Of course, what would make a huge diff would be 1) not falling into water, 2) learning to swim, 3) swimming regularly and a lot to build up endurance and stamina. But, remember the tsunami in Thailand? **** can happen even if you don't take any risk. So his advice not only would still stand even for a very good swimmer, but addressed a potential situation and offered a solution. Not a perfect solution, but it could definitely make a difference and increase the chances to survive.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A simple "foot sweep" can be a good single technique to learn too. If your opponent wants to attack you, he has to shift weight on to his leading leg. That chance for your foot sweep will always be there.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My interpretation of this question is: "If I had 15 minutes, what simple tool or move can I give someone who will needs to learn how to defend themselves."

If I only had to teach someone one technique, it would be something that would need to be: simple, effective, instinctual and powerful.

One of the concepts I work on a lot was / is called the Crash Technique. I demo it in this video. I have used it for years as a way to defend against a variety attacks, but also setup a variety of follow-up techniques (mostly jiu-jitsu / aikijutsu based).

But since my training with Defence Lab and the DNA Fight Science System, that concept of "shaping" - which is uniquely seen in the DL system - has really helped me take the concept one step further. I don't have an instructional on it, but you see many of the elements in this video:

All that said, there is no one perfect technique. But the concept of the Crash or "Shape 1" in DL is my best answer.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Situational awareness and common sense are probably the 2 best aspects, I would also include physically the palm heel to the nose or groin shot if needed.

Sure. :) I like that suggestion, because IMO, I think it's best to keep things simple. If I was going to spend time teaching someone something, in a short amount of time, I'd rather have them drill a few things, repeatedly, from various situations, rather than a bunch of complicated things, that they might not remember or be able to pull off, under stress conditions.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be this pressure point, I've tried in in real life many times and have had it done to me, terribly effective. Most effective if pushed in then down hard.

skip to 26:33

My GM taught me to move in at a downward angle, but cautioned me to be careful of the force I used as it was a death blow if used forcefully.

smiller2144

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My GM taught me to move in at a downward angle, but cautioned me to be careful of the force I used as it was a death blow if used forcefully.

Hmm, you'd know more about it then me but I doubt it would do damage unless you pierced the skin, or you really shoved in in there with a massive strike, doing internal injuries. But I don't doubt it's possible.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, you'd know more about it then me but I doubt it would do damage unless you pierced the skin, or you really shoved in in there with a massive strike, doing internal injuries. But I don't doubt it's possible.

Well, I never killed anyone with that technique, so I can't personally vouch for that being a death blow. But I certainly never doubted what my GM taught me either. If I were fighting someone, not sparring, I would strike hard, but not so hard as to cause death, unless the fight seemed to me to be a life and death struggle. I hope that never happens, but if it does, I will post in here to let everyone know how it turned out.

FYI, the way it was taught to me there would be damage, the amount being dependent on the force applied and the angle of the strike.

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Honestly? The ability to stay calm and rational under pressure.

It takes boxers an entire year of training to learn how to punch. So I think I'm better off teaching my sister how to improvise and trust her instincts. And the only way to be in that "sharp mode", as I would call it, is to keep the mind uncluttered.

I remember watching a BJ Penn fight on TV, and Joe Rogan mentioned something along the lines of...

"One of the trademarks of great grapplers is that they stay calm even with aggressive wrestlers."

He put it in a way of, "He can stay calm because he is a good grappler." I think it's the other way around. He's a good fighter because he can stay calm and collected.

OP
W

WesJones

White Belt
Reaction score
My interpretation of this question is: "If I had 15 minutes, what simple tool or move can I give someone who will needs to learn how to defend themselves."

If I only had to teach someone one technique, it would be something that would need to be: simple, effective, instinctual and powerful.

One of the concepts I work on a lot was / is called the Crash Technique. I demo it in this video. I have used it for years as a way to defend against a variety attacks, but also setup a variety of follow-up techniques (mostly jiu-jitsu / aikijutsu based).

But since my training with Defence Lab and the DNA Fight Science System, that concept of "shaping" - which is uniquely seen in the DL system - has really helped me take the concept one step further. I don't have an instructional on it, but you see many of the elements in this video:

All that said, there is no one perfect technique. But the concept of the Crash or "Shape 1" in DL is my best answer.

Thanks. Great tutorial vid by the way, thanks for sharing. This technique is often called "wedge block" and some people like to call it the "Rhino". That's one of the very first techniques I teach to beginners.

OP
W

WesJones

White Belt
Reaction score
Sure. :) I like that suggestion, because IMO, I think it's best to keep things simple. If I was going to spend time teaching someone something, in a short amount of time, I'd rather have them drill a few things, repeatedly, from various situations, rather than a bunch of complicated things, that they might not remember or be able to pull off, under stress conditions.

Great suggestion. It makes sense. thank you.

OP
W

WesJones

White Belt
Reaction score
Honestly? The ability to stay calm and rational under pressure.

It takes boxers an entire year of training to learn how to punch. So I think I'm better off teaching my sister how to improvise and trust her instincts. And the only way to be in that "sharp mode", as I would call it, is to keep the mind uncluttered.

I remember watching a BJ Penn fight on TV, and Joe Rogan mentioned something along the lines of...

"One of the trademarks of great grapplers is that they stay calm even with aggressive wrestlers."

He put it in a way of, "He can stay calm because he is a good grappler." I think it's the other way around. He's a good fighter because he can stay calm and collected.

How would you work this? Would you simply "pressure test" ?

Latest Discussions