If really want to know the truth

OP
M

MDFJ

Very welcome Bruce, it worked for me & the student, hope it works for your guys too.

My Best Regards

Marc

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
marc, very interesting story.

i'd infer that your stepping is doing one or both of two things: unbalancing your stronger opponent, or shifting his grip somehow so that his arm and hand are no longer in a good position to apply the grab strongly. that's classic hapkido, wouldn't you agree?

whenever i'm learning a new technique, i always step back and change something if it feels at all like i'm beginning to rely on brute force. none of our techniques is designed to rely on force alone. it has never failed yet that when i do step back and anlalyze, i've been able to find at least one flaw in my execution that, once corrected, allowed the technique to work without having to force it.

OP
D

Disco

Rudy, thanks for the reply. Let me pose another question, which has relevance to the issue of a persons size. Mainly focusing on hand size, have you encountered some / any limitations to performing certain wrist techniques, because the hand was to large to get into a/the preferred position? Bruce, feel free to jump in also.......

Mike

OP
K

kwanjang

Interesting stuff Marc, thanks for sharing it. Hi Mike, I have not noticed anyone having a problem with that, but that does not mean it can't happen. I think I just have learned to adapt. You are right Bruce. I have always purchased learning material whenever it was available, because my writing is sooo sloppy I can't even read my own notes lol.

OP
M

MDFJ

Thank you Kwang-Jang Rudy. :asian:

Howard, I try to use images to help my students see how and why the technique works, there are many pictures to paint for the footwork to off-balance opponent or position them in such a way to weaken their strength in various position/techniques, but I also try to explain the power they generate within that technique.. I have found some relate well to car engines (the boys more than the girls) so with something as simple as a punch i break it down to it's components generating the power..

Muscle pushing arm forwards
Twisting of fist through target
Reaction hand driving shoulder back and therefore Striking one forward
Waist/hip twist
Knee drop / sinking action
Solid stance
etc, etc...

I explain that the individual components are like 1 cylinder each in a car, and ask them would they want a car that only fires on 2 cylinders, or a 6.5 litre, straight-6 V8 double-turbo monster..!?

When they see how to use their body (ie Power), and how to affect the opponents body (ie balance) and they grasp the circle/water principles I find it easy to get them to coordinate their techniques fluidly and effectively.

It feels great when you see the lights come on or the penny drop, and it really makes a difference in their technique/performance..

I love finding new ways to explain things to students, If anyone has any great ones to share I would love to hear them...

My very Best Regards to all

Marc

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Mike:

I have run into this in both my training and my teaching. On a yu sool level there are two things to consider. One, of course, is the pre-emptive strike (or kick). No sense in going into a lot of talk about that. The other is the various stepping or positioning aspects that Marc is talking about. To add yet a third perspective, the hapki-yu-sool approach incorporates as few as three and as many as seven initial vectors reportedly taught by Choi to identified students. I have a Korean text which only identifies three of these biomechanics though I believe Dojunim Kim teaches 7 to his students. That doesn't mean that some of these don't turn-up in the yu sool material of some teachers. My own teacher, GM Myung clearly demonstrates the application of one or two of these moves in his books without ever actually identifying them by name. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Mike:

I have run into this in both my training and my teaching. On a yu sool level there are two things to consider. One, of course, is the pre-emptive strike (or kick). No sense in going into a lot of talk about that. The other is the various stepping or positioning aspects that Marc is talking about. To add yet a third perspective, the hapki-yu-sool approach incorporates as few as three and as many as seven initial vectors reportedly taught by Choi to identified students. I have a Korean text which only identifies three of these biomechanics though I believe Dojunim Kim teaches 7 to his students. That doesn't mean that some of these don't turn-up in the yu sool material of some teachers. My own teacher, GM Myung clearly demonstrates the application of one or two of these moves in his books without ever actually identifying them by name. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Bruce

Please be specific what 3 and or 7 vectors do you speak of.

And for referance what book and page does Myung show the tech.?

Thanks

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"......Standing facing opposite directions in a fig-4 armlock position (this is where your universal terminology would be useful.. ) ....."

Funny you should pick this particular technique. I have been having a unique problem with finding a Korean name for it. My guess is a large part of this is because the same biomechanic can be accomplished two ways.

One approach is the classic response to an over-hand "ice-pick" attack. Just about everyone does a high cross-block, collapses the elbox(simultaneously taking the balance) and levering the partner to the ground. The act of grabbing ones own forearm produces the "Figure-4" shape you mention.

There is also the execution which uses the same dynamic but only catches the partner at the wrist and elbow. GM Myung predictably calls this a "wrist-Elbow Throw" and uses it more for a lateral or circling takedown.

My first though would be to name both techniques the same as they share the same dynamics. However, a person watching the general execution would seem to see two very different techniques. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Stuart:

"......Please be specific what 3 and or 7 vectors do you speak of.

And for referance what book and page does Myung show the tech.?...."

Gee, I really would like to share that with you, but its a big secret and reserved only for the most elite practitioners and innermost circle of dedicated students! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, if you have the "Gold Book" (ART OF MASTERS) and start with the very first technique in Chapter 7 (HOSHINSUL) the rising vector is roughly the first one done on page 94. It is unseemly to correct my teacher, especially in light of a hapkiyusool rather than yu sool execution of this movement. Oddly enough, however, the smaller insert photo shows the proper hand orientation for correct execution of the Rising vector while the larger succession of pictures shows an incorrect orientation. Many of the other preliminary moves for the next techniques are also variations on these initial vectors though most often with incorrect orientation. Again, it is not courteous to comment on my teachers' execution, but I thought that citing a picture would be much more helpful than trying to describe each vector from scratch, ne? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
B

Black Belt FC

OFF TOPIC SORRY ADM.
HAPKIDO SEMINAR APRIL 9TH SATURDAY 2005
For more information and application visit HAPKIDO.CN and click on schedule events.

WHALENseminar.jpg

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the idea of posting information like this on a single string cheats many people who are not Hapkido practitioners (IE TKD, TSD, JJ etc) out of being informed regarding the event. Certainly Hapkido people will be interested, but my guess is that the reason there is a specific place for events is so the widest possible dissemination independent of affiliation is possible. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The seminar was also posted in the Advertising-Organization and Events Forum for all to see. However, it might be a good idea to post something like this in a separate thread (rather than an unrelated existing thread) in the future.

We can have 2 or 3 cross-posts maximum.

Thanks for paying attention, Bruce.

Latest Discussions