Ideal Self-defense school?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what Iā€™ve seen, this is basically the Urban Combatives curriculum, Lee Morrison.
It is admirable, even though ambitious list, and I can speak/teach most of what you list due to my background. But I do not, mainly due to the liability aspects to much of what you list. Not to mention crossing streams. And think of the time commitment to know that list intimately enough to effectively teach it to someone else.
Not to mention how some really, really gifted and intelligent people cannot teach their way out of a paper sack.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is admirable, even though ambitious list, and I can speak/teach most of what you list due to my background. But I do not, mainly due to the liability aspects to much of what you list. Not to mention crossing streams. And think of the time commitment to know that list intimately enough to effectively teach it to someone else.
Not to mention how some really, really gifted and intelligent people cannot teach their way out of a paper sack.
Liability? There are dudes running open-enrollment courses around the USA, focusing on this stuff.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Chinese wrestling system, during the first 3 years, students only learn offense techniques. After 3 years, students start to learn defense techniques.

In Chinese wrestling, it's better to attack and lose than to defense and win.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assume if a MA teacher teaches this technique, he is not a self-defense teacher.

I assume all secret agents will need to learn this.

begger_carry_dog.jpg

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume if a MA teacher teaches this technique, he is not a self-defense teacher.

I assume all secret agents will need to learn this.
People teach this in counter-abduction courses. Some Self-defense teachers also cover it, so students know to defend against it.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People teach this in counter-abduction courses. Some Self-defense teachers also cover it, so students know to defend against it.
Itā€™s a great move for taking out sentries with your belt in SERE applications.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Itā€™s a great move for taking out sentries with your belt in SERE applications.
Until the captor discovers a youtube video demonstrating this, and quickly orders the men to remove the belt.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Donā€™t forget the boot laces!
You expect me to believe, that your ā€military gradeā€ laces will handle the weight of an athletic male human body? (nourishment debatable depending on the country)

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You expect me to believe, that your ā€military gradeā€ laces will handle the weight of an athletic male human body? (nourishment debatable depending on the country)
You can cut zip ties with those things!

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
@gyoja To be real though, if the captor has any common sense, the only thing that will save you is an injectable GPS tracker, and hope that an HRT is on its way.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Liability? There are dudes running open-enrollment courses around the USA, focusing on this stuff.
Okay, let' try this another way. It would be a very, very 'generalist' approach to teaching any kind of martial art/defense system.
To edit your list into a manageable, effective class, I would edit the list as such:

-Instructors crossed-trained between different systems

-Sparring sessions in class

-Encouragement [towards experienced students] to bring in material that might add value to the classes

-Covers material in terms of principles, not adherence to perfecting specific techniques

-Classes focusing on martial arts fundamentals, including but not limited to MMA, FMA, and Silat

-Retention curriculum for all relevant weapons

-Anti-surveillance and deescalation drills: acknowledging and politely dismissing potential predators

-Revolver work in clinch

-Stop the Bleed/TCC curriculum

-Runs full scenario drills, testing student's ability to appropriately use force or deescalate. and talk to authorities under pressure post-incident.

-Open gym hours for practicing absolutely anything, whether thatā€™s sparring or study groups. ***This is financially a tough one, not to mention the huge increase in insurance cost.

Everything omitted could/should be taught in a separate environment (at the same location if desired) but should Not be cross-streamed. IMHO

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the curriculum at CIA Summer Camp.
There are people that want to receive the training that some warfighters received. They may be former military or security contractors that want the courses because they couldnā€™t get them in their former organization. Others want the course because they want the training, but not the burden of service.

Latest Discussions