I Want Some Justice!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over two years ago, American author and journalist Paul Klebnikov was murdered on the streets of Moscow in what observers and experts described as a professional hit:

http://fairuse.100webcustomers.com/fairenough/latimes550.html

Mr. Klebnikov was the author of "The Godfather of the Kremlin" which exposed the corruption of Boris Berezovsky, in particular, and the "oligarchs" in general, who looted Russia during its post-Soviet privatization period. He was a courageous journalist who wrote of rampant post-Cold War corruption within the former Soviet Union. His murder was a contract hit. I want his killers and those who ordered his murder brought to justice.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes what we want and what we get are two different things, this one may never come to the light.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beyond individual travesties and outrages like this murder, the worst danger of the whole post-Cold War period of unbridled corruption and rule-by-private-goon-squad is that it creates a mind-set where people actually become nostalgic about the worst days of Stalinist repression---always a dangerous tendency in a country with a lot of military power and a shallow or nonexistent experience with democracy. Look at how the economic crisis in Germany following WWI created conditions ripe for the rise of a horrible tyranny that made the rule of the Kaiser look like anarchism, by comparison.

The future of democracy in Russia is sittting on a knife's-edge, and between the KGB `old hands' on the one side and the oligarchs and organized crime bosses on the other, things don't look particularly encouraging. Russia has a history of brief experiments with open societies followed by generations of absolutism... I'm not encouraged by anything I'm reading about what's happening there.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Call up Bush and tell him it was a terrorist act, maybe we will go to war there.

Latest Discussions