I think therefore I am.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Yes, I'm a big believer of the pre emptive strike!:)

Mike

Kensai said:
Me to. Great mind eh...?

I am also a member of the pre emrtive strike club..I see that I'm in good company..

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
I am also a member of the pre emrtive strike club..I see that I'm in good company..

Absolutely. I see no problem in it. Not at all. If you think you're in danger, you probably are. Give it a chance to de-escalate, if not, hit first, ask questions later. Or vanish.

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Absolutely. I see no problem in it. Not at all. If you think you're in danger, you probably are. Give it a chance to de-escalate, if not, hit first, ask questions later. Or vanish.
Yup, that's the way I do things too.

Take care,

Garth.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Garth Barnard said:
Yup, that's the way I do things too.

Take care,

Garth.

Doesn't that bear rather stiff penalties where you live? I've been under the impression that the laws don't leave much room for self defense there.. I can see hitting first being an even bigger, nastier can of worms to open.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Doesn't that bear rather stiff penalties where you live? I've been under the impression that the laws don't leave much room for self defense there.. I can see hitting first being an even bigger, nastier can of worms to open.

A valid perception mate, but not strictly accurate. True we aren't allowed to carry guns in any form, but there remains a different mind set between the British/European and US in that regard anyway. See below:

A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.
See here for the rest of the site:
http://www.bsdgb.co.uk/law.htm

So, in some ways you're right mate, however, if you were able to prove that you were in mortal danger "unless" you pre-empted, then it's open to suggestion. Besides, I'm of the opinion that you don't get into trouble for your actions so much, but more for what you say to the police afterwards. If you vanish having put someone down, is it reasonable to assume that you may have "gotten away with it"? Who knows.

Again, valid point. :asian:

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I really don't care about the law in an SD situation. That doesn't mean that I'm not a law abiding citizen though.

What I mean by that is; I know I would do my utmost to prevent a physical confrontation, however, if I I felt that my health and safety was at risk, bearing in mind that I am well within my rights to act pre-emtively, then I will do so with no regard to the law. If I act pre-emptively I will do so with commitment and aggression, there are no prizes for second place on the street.

It is my view that if you have the thought of law (and the consequences of your actions) on your mind at the TIME of acting, then your committment (effectiveness) WILL be effected. Personally, I only worry about the law when I'm walking away from an unconscious aggressor, and not a moment before.

Take care,

Garth.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Garth Barnard said:
What I mean by that is; I know I would do my utmost to prevent a physical confrontation, however, if I I felt that my health and safety was at risk, bearing in mind that I am well within my rights to act pre-emtively, then I will do so with no regard to the law. If I act pre-emptively I will do so with commitment and aggression, there are no prizes for second place on the street

You would be surprised how many time I've told people who were worried about a physical assault after being threatened to "Do what ya gotta do." Maybe not the brightest thing for a cop to tell someone but NOBODY should becaome a punching bag because the fear legal reprisials...

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
You would be surprised how many time I've told people who were worried about a physical assault after being threatened to "Do what ya gotta do." Maybe not the brightest thing for a cop to tell someone but NOBODY should becaome a punching bag because the fear legal reprisials...

On the contrary my friend, that would be most refreshing. Kudos for having the honesty and decency to do that. :asian:

Garth, I quite agree mate. My thoughts exactly.

Latest Discussions