I think therefore I am.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
In any given SD scenario, regardless of art, is it better to consciously think about what you're doing while acting, planning your strategy shall we say? Or, is it better to not think, to simply be, and sow a whirlwind of destruction?

Does thinking slow you down, or does it make you an intelligent fighter if you're being attacked?

When I try and string together some of the more complex Wing Chun combo's, I can definately tell that I've slowed down, while my brain tries to process what it's doing, yet sometimes when I don't think, BAM! I just act, and things happen of there own accord.

I'm interested in hearing your views and experience. I don't think that there's necessarily a right or wrong answer, let's hear what you've got to say. :asian:

Kensai

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great thread!

I've been in situations where I acted immediately, and others where I've had time to think for just a little bit. But overall, I'd have to say doing something right away is better than doing the perfect thing too late. A

As always, situation dictates.

Jeff

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In real world sef defence situation thinking slows you way down.

As I was once told don't think, do.

This is why we train so things become automatic.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
First I relax and then I act. Thinking comes after the fact when I'm reliving the moment in my head finding ways I could have done better. But thankfully evasion and prevention has been 100% effective for me.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great answers gentlemen. Am in agreement with all that has been said. Especially yours Jeff, the situation will warrant the type of response provided, and accordingly, how much or little you think about it. Cheers guys.

P.S: King, are you a Leafs fan by any chance?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kensai said:
In any given SD scenario, regardless of art, is it better to consciously think about what you're doing while acting, planning your strategy shall we say? Or, is it better to not think, to simply be, and sow a whirlwind of destruction?

Does thinking slow you down, or does it make you an intelligent fighter if you're being attacked?

When I try and string together some of the more complex Wing Chun combo's, I can definately tell that I've slowed down, while my brain tries to process what it's doing, yet sometimes when I don't think, BAM! I just act, and things happen of there own accord.

I'm interested in hearing your views and experience. I don't think that there's necessarily a right or wrong answer, let's hear what you've got to say. :asian:

Kensai

If it has not yet escalated to a physical confrontation, I'd say it would probably be good to think before we speak. Saying the right or wrong thing can ultimately have a pretty good effect on the outcome. If its already to the physical point, IMHO, I feel that its better to react. That is what our goal should be in our training, when we're working on techniques. People at times, get too wrapped up in the technique itself, thinking that they're bound by the movements, when in fact, the tech. is or should be looked at as a foundation to build from. We don't want to think, "Ok, here comes a punch at my face!! Which one of my punch techs. am I going to do????"

Mike

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:

Kensai

i think when training you should always be thinking of new things. but only in training. i believe that thinking in a real street fight actually slows you down, at least during stand up. usually when a spar i look for the moment of cognition in my opponents brain, and that is when i strike. i take pride if my ability to ready my opponent. other then my initial read i am a whirlwind.

on your back or on the ground i believe thinking is your best friend.
keeping your cool and coming up with a quick solution is definitely a mental thing.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
If it has not yet escalated to a physical confrontation, I'd say it would probably be good to think before we speak. Saying the right or wrong thing can ultimately have a pretty good effect on the outcome. If its already to the physical point, IMHO, I feel that its better to react. That is what our goal should be in our training, when we're working on techniques. People at times, get too wrapped up in the technique itself, thinking that they're bound by the movements, when in fact, the tech. is or should be looked at as a foundation to build from. We don't want to think, "Ok, here comes a punch at my face!! Which one of my punch techs. am I going to do????"

Mike

Interesting point Mike.

Turning this around. Would you ever consider it acceptable to "pre-empt" an attack? Instead of reacting, would you hit first?

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
i think when training you should always be thinking of new things. but only in training. i believe that thinking in a real street fight actually slows you down, at least during stand up. usually when a spar i look for the moment of cognition in my opponents brain, and that is when i strike. i take pride if my ability to ready my opponent. other then my initial read i am a whirlwind.

keeping your cool and coming up with a quick solution is definitely a mental thing.

Also a great post. I particularly like your point of watching for that flash of cognition, then going for it.

I've dabbled in groundwork, and you're right, there are definately moments when I've thought about what I'm doing, and how I want to progress. A couple of times when (during a Judo groundfight) someone's been on top, and I've slid out to the side, and kicked their legs from under them. Obviously a basic technique, but surprisingly effective. Those that I used it on would become so engrossed in going for a strangle, then when their legs were pushed back, and I slid over and on top, while in control of their gi, you could tell they were thinking "huh?"... :uhyeah: Do the basics well in those conditions.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After you have trained the delivery tools of your art or method to a point they are now a part of your actions you basicly see think do. In that order and it ends up just doing because you are more in tune with mind and body where the action now is doing. Just as walking no thought you just walk.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:

I agree 100%.
If you don't use your head while on the ground you are toast.

Standing up it is much quicker to react and not get hit than to think about it and get hit. The first inital reaction is the most important. Parry, block, dodge, not getting hit initally usually works out better in your favor. Be safe then remove the threat.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
After you have trained the delivery tools of your art or method to a point they are now a part of your actions you basicly see think do. In that order and it ends up just doing because you are more in tune with mind and body where the action now is doing. Just as walking no thought you just walk.

In other words, through repeated practice, it, the art you study becomes so ingrained, that cognitive thought is unnecessary? Or words to that effect?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking from an LEO standpoint I ONLY thing I think about is making sure my gun is secure..Then to quote Kensai "I sow a whilwind of destruction".

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
P.S: King, are you a Leafs fan by any chance?

I think by law we are suppose to love the Leafs. Saying otherwise means death by withdrawal of Canadian beer and alienation from bars. :D Go Leafs!

Coming back to the topic a few months ago my boxing coach was attacked by a drunk guy. He stayed calm, bobbing and weaving out of harms way while trying to diffuse it with words: "yo guy calm down", "let's not do this", "ease up bro". But the guy kept coming back and was aggrevated enough to attack other people on the street. So when he came back to my coach he stunned him with a counter punch. Then the drunk guy stopped and said "okay, okay let's stop". My coach said "hey man, you've been trying to kill me all night. Okay we're cool".

I guess I'm coming up to the point where if that was me I would have wailed on him as soon as the first attack came. Being the better man he used his training to prevent injury to himself, others and managed to diffuse the situation with the proper amount of violence.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
King said:
I think by law we are suppose to love the Leafs. Saying otherwise means death by withdrawal of Canadian beer and alienation from bars. :D Go Leafs!

Aren't you also required to be a Rush fan?:idunno:

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Aren't you also required to be a Rush fan?:idunno:

lol alas Rush has faded into obscurity. Haven't even heard them mentioned for over 16 years. I honestly had to google them to remind me who they were.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
King said:

Coming back to the topic a few months ago my boxing coach was attacked by a drunk guy. He stayed calm, bobbing and weaving out of harms way while trying to diffuse it with words: "yo guy calm down", "let's not do this", "ease up bro". But the guy kept coming back and was aggrevated enough to attack other people on the street. So when he came back to my coach he stunned him with a counter punch. Then the drunk guy stopped and said "okay, okay let's stop". My coach said "hey man, you've been trying to kill me all night. Okay we're cool".

I guess I'm coming up to the point where if that was me I would have wailed on him as soon as the first attack came. Being the better man he used his training to prevent injury to himself, others and managed to diffuse the situation with the proper amount of violence.

Think that level of calmness perhaps comes through the confidence of having trained in any art, for a while. Good to see it ended (relatively) happily.

On a side note, GO LEAFS GO!! Let's hear it for Raycroft and Peca. Woot!! :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Interesting point Mike.

Turning this around. Would you ever consider it acceptable to "pre-empt" an attack? Instead of reacting, would you hit first?

Yes, I'm a big believer of the pre emptive strike!:)

Mike

Latest Discussions